Electrical Hissing Tinnitus: Are There Any Success Stories?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thuan, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      Are there any success stories regarding electrical hiss tinnitus?

Also what frequencies do you think the electrical hiss is? I want to try an app and see if that can match my sound.

I'm asking because I recently developed electrical hissing sounds on and off since a few weeks ago. I actually didn't realize this. My normal tinnitus is a pure tone. Then I realized my head was feeling really full like an electrical buzz. Then about a month ago the electrical buzz turned into an electrical hiss. While this happens, my pure tone sometimes coexist with my electrical hiss. Sometimes the pure tone goes away while the electrical hiss takes over

I'm getting wrecked these days. My normal pure tone tinnitus has always been mild and quiet and I didn't need to use sound maskers for a long time. My tinnitus has been spiking every 2-4 days, then quiet 1-2 days, then 2-4 days loud with electrical hiss/pure tone. Strangely, the electrical hiss is in my head than in the ear.

Any opinions on this?

Thank you all.

2. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @Thuan How is your electric buzz sound? I have same thing night and day (sometimes more of a hiss or a dog whistle sound-it’s horrid).

No success stories on this frequency??

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have the electrical hiss 24/7. Funny enough it's the most "forgiving" part of my tinnitus.

Some said it was a step in the right direction for healing towards silence, but that probably came on a year ago.

The character will change from airy to hissy, and the intrusiveness will vary. Luckily I find it much easier to lose track of during the day.

It's particularly bothersome tonight. But it will be ok.

I hate to say it, but just try and relax. Download some random games on your phone, zone out. You will learn how to manage as time goes on, and I just keep hanging on for the magical disappearance one day, or a cure come to market.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Thuan

What was the original cause of your tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      There's people mentioning about people recovery from this hissing phase but unfortunately, I haven't specifically found the success stories regarding so hence this post.
      A month of middle ear infection. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. screechesilence
      Wishful

screechesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      STRESS, high frequency sensorineural loss (birth)
      I suffer from the exact same and have been for 6 months now. I don't know what pure tone is, maybe it started off like that for the first few weeks only. It is now an established electric hiss in the head, which can be faded into the background on the occasional day when I am lucky, but it is mainly extremely bothersome and hard to escape from. What caused yours? Mine came out of the blue, perhaps stress - no acoustic trauma, neck injuries, ETD etc.

Some people may have mentioned Amitriptyline helped with this type of tinnitus. I am too scared to take drugs, other than the odd supplements which are doing absolutely nothing to help. I do not suffer from anxiety other than what T has brought on either, so I am not sure these drugs would work in my case.

I have also posted how certain loud activities such as using a vacuum cleaner can make my T on a bad day fade into the background. So a bit like the opposite of hyperacusis. What about you?

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. wagen

wagen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      Hi Thuan,

I think I have something very similar to you. I can mask the tones but the hissing is impossible to mask. It feels like it's literally making my head vibrate. It's awful and impossible to sleep with. Unfortunately, it never goes away, I have it 24/7.

How do you cope? Best wishes!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Has anyone had any success with the antidepressants for the electrical hissing? Nortriptyline or another antidepressant?

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How's your head noise going now? Did you end up on Nortriptyline?

10. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi @DebInAustralia, I hope you are doing well.

My tinnitus has been low but I am now still recovering from the severe panic this has caused and eye symptoms where I am very disoriented when I move around. I’m really starting to suspect autoimmune/neurological more than anything at this point.

I started NAD+ IV therapy and had a brain scan today for Neurofeedback that starts tomorrow so I’m hoping I can make a bigger dent in controlling the panic so I can move on to the neuro appointments. I had 2 sessions so far of NAD+ and was able to leave my home and drive to 2 different appointments so very happy about that. I also had a Stellate Ganglion Block but I don’t recommend that to anyone since I cannot tell for sure if it caused my eye symptoms or if they were already there before the injection and just more mild.

I just seem to keep striking out except for the lowered tinnitus. I will keep you posted about that as well since I have officially tapered off the benzos at this point.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I admire you for tackling this from all ends! I am so sorry to hear about the eye issue, but at least the tinnitus is lower.

Please keep us all posted. I'm having a terrible spike today and had to take part of a benzo. It did nothing so now I'm drinking. The alcohol helps a little. WTF, electrical hiss?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      @IntotheBlue03, I'm happy to hear the tinnitus has lowered for you. Sounds like you got some other stuff going on that is causing you grief.

Unfortunately, I know the feeling all to well.

Do you know what helped lower the tinnitus for you? Mine hasn't changed much at all. I get the occasional 10 second spike but I actually heard silence for literally 2 seconds a few nights ago but that's about it.

Wish you the best.

13. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hey there, very happy to hear you heard some brief silence! I would recommend low dose Naltrexone if you haven’t started it already as I’ve been on it for 2 months and I’ve read right around this mark is when it should have some effect. I can still hear it of course, it’s just not reactive and a 2 out of 10 at this point. At this point I’m doing NAD+ Therapy and I’m off benzos so I can’t attribute the lower tinnitus to benzo use.

I’ve really traded one evil for another though as this eye issue is very distressing and disorienting. I just had a brain scan that revealed high level PTSD and what looks like a recent TBI (I have those upper cervical injuries that have continued to progress so not surprised but hope none of it is from the SGB I just had).

I will keep everyone posted of my progress in my personal thread.

14. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @IntotheBlue03 - how did the brain scan show PTSD?

And how did you come across NAD+ IV therapy?

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What dose are you on?

Can you link the paper please?

16. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      I've had this sound go away, and then come back, and then go away again. Does that count as a success story?

17. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      How long did it take to go away @dd314?

18. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?