Electronic Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by SueR, Feb 17, 2014.

1. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Ornitoring

Ornitoring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma for repitition
      no, Im tradicional.

It's good if you have also TTTS?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I'm not understanding the connection. Traditional? If you have trouble with louder sounds, but conversational levels are fine, then I would think these would be a good option... not plugging for all sounds, just the bothersome ones.

4. Ornitoring

Ornitoring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma for repitition
      I can speak without earplugs but depends of intensity and time...Sometimes if I speak with my earplugs (normals) seems that my TTTS is more often than if I don't wear....I don't knows if exist some relation earplugg-air pressure

I will read tecnic details..:hungry:

5. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I want ear plugs that allow me to have a conversation as well. I guess the only ones are the electronic plugs with volume compression. All I found are the shooting plugs which also increase lower level sounds, but that's not what I need, just need protection from the loud sounds. Any advice?

Something like these:
      http://www.earplugstore.com/walkers-game-ear-digital-hd.html
      http://www.earplugstore.com/starkey-soundgear-bte.html
      http://www.earplugstore.com/etymotic-gsp-15-electronic-earplugs.html

Anyone?

6. Harold_G
      Overworked

Harold_G Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, live and recorded!
      Have you had a look at the Etymotic Music Pro electronic earplugs? They could be what you are after, although I have no experience with them myself.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/mp915.html

7. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

8. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I did have a look at those but I'd ideally like more than 15dB of a protection if possible, like their gun sport model. But all Etymotic electronic plugs seem to have one flaw, which is that if you want to turn them off you have to take out the batter or open the batter door, there is no on/off switch. Kind of annoying.

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Their highest rated plugs are only 25db NRR not bad but not enough for shooting guns or real noisy environments for sure

Plus this is based on the ideal case where you ear canal fits the size and shape of those silicone inserts - and the heavier electronic part will make the plug move as soon as you move your head , jaw - talk or eat etc.. So in Practice you won't get much more than 10 to 20 Db of reduction which isn't much

I would get serious Pro foam plugs like the moldex meteors or large peltor earmuffs not these gadgets

10. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      With foam ear plugs it's very hard to talk or even hear what others are saying, so making them not ideal. Same with the ear muffs, plugs they're really not practical.

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unless you have moderate hearing loss in the speech range it isn't hard to hear people at all with these .

What happens when you wear ear protection is that your brain temporary increase sound sensitivity after a few minutes so can your hear better - like putting sunglasses on in a dark place .

I wear those all the time and have about 15- 25 Db saw tooth hearing loss 1khz to 8khz and can hear fine mostly unless the place is very quiet and the person speaks softly then yes you can't hear much.

In noisy places like transportation and restaurants people raise their voices you get at least 70db or even much more from voices so that 40db after reduction which is still plenty enough to follow the conversation if you pay attention .

Worst case just ask the person to speak louder and sit close .

Try to speak and measure your own voice on a Db meter you will notice it's quite powerful.

No issue talking either why would that be a problem ?

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not to mention you will look a bit weird if the goal is to use these social situations

Those large black plastic switches protruding out of the ear look like cheap hearing aids not sure I want to be seen in those on a date or with friends .
      At least earplugs can be placed real deep and some are flesh colored it's mostly impossible to notice anything unless they stare deep into the ear.

13. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      So any more advice for the electronic ear plugs? I can't believe they are so unpopular that no one has used them yet.

14. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Im bumping up this old thread since im seriously thinking about buying the Etymotic Music Pro Earplugs. Is there anyone new with experience with these??

I saw on there website that the hearing protection is dynamic ranging from normal hearing all the way to -35db of protection. Here is the graph:

mp915_graph3_opt.png

The product page of the etymotic musicpro elektronic earplugs:
      https://www.etymotic.com/mp915.html