ENT or Neurologist? Which Type of Doctor Do You Think Is Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by cj5suzy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. cj5suzy

cj5suzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am just wondering what type of doctor would in other readers' opinions be better.

A neurologist or ENT?

I seem to have gaze evoked tinnitus in addition to regular tinnitus with hyperacusis as well. I mentioned to my eye doctor about the short spikes I get with eye movement after I stare intently at something and then move my eyes away. She mentioned seeing a neurologist about that.

If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it. I'm not sure who to see. Would a neurologist be able to help me? I don't want to waste time and money.

I have never been to a neurologist so unsure what to do. Has anyone gotten any results with one?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Don't ever seen an ENT/audiologist if you know your tinnitus is noise induced, the only thing they are good for is out ruling the 8th nerve tumor, but if you know noise caused your tinnitus then accept you're screwed.

3. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Lovely attitude to welcome new folks.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you want them to visit 5 separate ENT"s to the same conclusion?

I'm breaking the flow chart, and no they are not entirely hopeless due to regenerative medicine for the inner ear being 5-10 years away.

5. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      For noise-induced tinnitus there as useless as they can be, as soon as you tell them you have tinnitus they can't wait to get you out of the office, they even get up to open the door for you while you're still trying to ask questions.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd go to an ENT first and work with him/her on a diagnosis. Here is a flowchart that you can bring with you to help: https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart

Depending on where this flow chart takes you, you may need to visit other types of doctors. You are likely to visit an audiologist to get a reading on your hearing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      How useful is this chart for noise-induced tinnitus? It only recommends off-label treatments like steroids and hyperbaric oxygen therapy which have a low chance of working.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The flow chart is a "diagnostic flowchart", which means it is supposed to help you diagnose or root cause your T. If you already know the root cause (ie noise), then the value is fairly limited. The reason I suggested it to the OP is that s/he listed "unknown" as "Cause for T" in his/her profile.

For NI tinnitus/hearing loss, we know all too well that there aren't many things to do, but as you said yourself, there are some things that have modest success rates, so they may be worth trying if you can afford both the risk and the cost.

As science progresses, I expect this flow chart to be expanded with new treatments and new discoveries, but I know that will not be a quick process.

Still, I think it's useful to people who don't know where their T is coming from, and as a support medium to work with their doctors, as it is a cross functional document that can help doctors see beyond their "knowledge box".

9. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I think you should see an ENT first, and follow the flow chart as said.

If you have a hearing loss, especially a bilateral one (e.g. both ears), expect the ENT to have a less interested view, like mine. I understand why - they probably see many of us, week in, week out and are kind of powerless to help us.