ENT Was Useless

Discussion in 'Support' started by AlaskaTom, Jan 30, 2018.

1. AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Went to ENT today for a follow up on my ears. I got an infection three months ago along with tinittus. I was given Amoxicillin for the infection and ended up getting a rash and bad anxiety from it. Tinittus has stayed the whole time. The first few weeks were rough because the anxiety at times was extreme. Really messed me up mentally which in turn made dealing with the plugged ears harder to deal with.

A month in the ENT said infection was all gone. I asked about the lingering tinittus and said that my ears still need to heal.
      Not to long after that I started noticing noise sensitivity along with my tinnitus.
      My anxiety and stress were still high.
      My ears have opened up over time, but now been having to deal with the noise sensitivity along with my tinnitus which is now at a higher pitch.

I sometimes can go a few hours without noticing my tinnitus, but it fluctuates in intensity at times.

Went to an audiologist and tests came back fine, she mentioned I should try TRT for the tinnitus and noise sensitivity.
      I said I will think about it. I’m hoping my ears are still just healing.

Lately my left ear (one with the loud tinittus)gets sound distortion at certain decibels or frequency. Sounds tinny. Is this considered a spike?

Went to ENT today , exactly three months since this all began with that infection, to see about the sound distortion. She couldn’t give me an answer. She just said my ears have no infection and that I should try earplugs for the noise sensitivity!

I know that is not what I should do, it would make my sensitivity even worse.
      I left upset because I had questions I wanted answered.

Can ears take this long to heal?

Can my anxiety and stress be causing the slower healing?

Could I have something else wrong that I don’t know about?

Should I do the sound therapy?

I have never had an ear infection in my life until three months ago. I’m 42.

Could this all just be a case of my ears needing an extra long time to heal?

Should I listen to my darling wife and stay positive that eventually they will heal?

I could use some words of wisdom from anyone willing to give it out there.

Thanks
      Tom

2. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      ENTs are useless anyway unless you have some wax in your ears to remove...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I now realize that.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Anxiety and stress can cause tinnitus so counselling to help you cope better with medication if needed could really help you.
      Ears take a while to settle and I know it's not a magic fix but it is down to time .
      Keep relaxing music on around you when you need a break from your tinnitus and try not listen out for it
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks for the reply Glynis.
      Patience and time is a big thing. In the grand scheme of life, three months is not a long time. It just feels like it when you are frustrated by it all.
      Thanks

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @AlaskaTom

If you are sure that your tinnitus was caused by an ear infection it will most probably go in time. It can take a while. Try not to be too hard on your ENT doctor and Audiologist as I believe they are trying their best. The facts for treating tinnitus are the following:Hearing aid/s, White noise generators, Counselling, sound therapy, medication, relaxation therapy, TRT, CBT, Mindfullness.

I don't believe you should try TRT yet. It is a good treatment but I would leave it for at least 6 months. I agree with Glynis that counselling could be beneficial. Please remember that ENT doctors are physicians. They know about the anatomy of the ear and can treat it medically or surgically and this they do well. When there is no underlying medical condition causing the tinnitus as in your case, there is not much they can do. The next step would be to refer you to an Audiologist or Hearing Therapist whose trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus, and they would discus the treatments that I've mentioned above with you if, they are available.

I think you should give it more time. Perhaps have a word with your GP and try an antidepressant if you're feeling stressed or try some counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist. Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus that you might find helpful.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you Micheal.
      Maybe this all ment to make me more patient. Never have been.
      Always wanting results immediately.
      It hasn’t helped either that this all started and occupied the coldest darkest days up here in Alaska. My whole mind set may have been different if it was in middle of summer.
      The hardest thing to get used to is the constant changing in how I hear things. I know it’s sipposed to sound a certain way, but when it comes across extra loud or tinny it can be unnerving.
      I have noticed that when I am calm and relaxed, things are much better.
      I did some research on side effects of Amoxicillin and one of the main ones is on the central nervous system.
      I think My nervous system is still trying to reboot. Which is also having a big affect on how I approach this whole ordeal.
      Quick question though: can a tinittus spike make your ear feel full and give you sound distortion?

8. Lulu99

Lulu99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but I think because ETD
      i have tinnitus in my left ear i went to ENT and he looks inside my ears he said you should do a hearing test did it came back to him with the result he said that i have Acoustic Trauma i have to do MRI brain & to the left ear just to make sure everything is fine
      i was shucked i never Listen to loud music or go to Concert or anything
      I think he wants to make money by doing unnecessary medical examinations
      now i`m thiking i don`t wanna go to do MRI

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sometimes I don’t think they realize not every has Insurance. I don’t.
      An MRI is very expensive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My guess is that he wants to do the MRI to rule out Acoustic Neuroma, given the asymmetric nature of your hearing loss & T.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it can. I advise you not to listen to music through headphones for a while. If you do keep the volume low. Please read the articles in the links that I've given you above. Some will be able to help you look tinnitus and your situation differently and are a form of counselling. Tinnitus isn't easy to cope with in the early stages which you are in. With time things will get better and this is the reason medications such as an antidepressant can help if you're feeling stressed. Tinnitus is something that cannot be rushed to recover from or habituate. The more you try the more stressed you will become and this can make the tinnitus more intrusive. Try using a sound machine by your bedside instead. Quiet rooms and surrounding particularly at night are to be avoided, as this will make your brain focus more on the tinnitus and it will appear to be louder. This is the reason a sound machine is recommended. More about sound machines and "sound enrichment" is explained in the links above. Try to read them in full and don't skim through them.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Genius Genius x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.
      My ENT called me back because she just went over my audiograph from my hearing test with the Audiologist.
      Everything looked great and said I have great hearing. Which is good, but part of me was hoping that there was something wrong with my hearing to explain my ear issues.
      My Audiologist thinks I should start TRT right away, but Micheal is saying I should wait till 6 months. It’s been three months.
      I just want to not have the sound of paper crinkling or rubbing my hand across some cardboard not bother me anymore.
      Time heals, I just wish I could be like Adam Sandler in “Click” and fast forward a few months!