ERBB2 Activates Growth of New Hair Cells — White Lab at the University of Rochester

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Golly, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Summary: Study identifies the mechanisms behind regenerating new cochlear hair cells. The findings could have positive implications for treating or reversing hearing loss associated with damage to cochlear hair cells.
      Can Hearing Loss Be Reversed? Research Reveals Clues That Could Regrow the Cells That Help Us Hear

/G

• Like Like x 10
      • Winner Winner x 4
    2. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      Now that's what I'm talking about :rockingbanana:

This is what we need more of. Hope is still alive. We can make it brothers and sisters.

CHOO CHOO, all aboard the ERBB2 train ;)

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    3. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      Of course it is. People are just venting in the Frequency Therapeutics thread, and some of it is entirely justified. The disappointment is palpable.

Diabetes wasn't treatable until it was. Most cancer wasn't treatable until it was. Cataract wasn't treatable until it was. You get the idea.

Hearing regeneration isn't possible, until it is. Might take 5 years or 15, but regenerating hearing isn't a surgical procedure or a 'take these tablets twice a day for a week' - we're asking the body to go against its very make-up in order to reactive dormant cells to enter their juvenile state.

Call it copium or false-hope or whatever, but if you showed modern medicine to someone even 100 years ago they'd think it's magic. I believe that we're nowhere near a cure, but if the first treatments like the Michigan device can alleviate tinnitus, we're on the right path.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. TeslaGuy
      Studious

TeslaGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is a step forward. We are starting to see a lot more of these discoveries of hearing regeneration. More and more people and companies are looking in to this and that makes me glad. Science can be very slow but we will get there. I believe in the near future the whole regenerative medicine will explode and revolutionize the medicine. I don't want it to stop just for the ears but cure the whole body. We just need to get to that point.

The early 1900s people would have thought you are insane if told that in about 50 years we will have rockets to go outer space since they have just witnessed the first airplane flying.

• Agree x 5
      • Like x 2
      • Winner x 2
      • Useful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    5. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 but not a problem till 10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music spiked with lyme disease
      Some people thought computers could never be faster than 200 MHz, never mind fit inside of our pockets. That wasn't all that long ago.

I thought I was a negative person, until I joined this forum. Being in reality does not mean being unreasonably skeptical. Maybe White Lab has it figured out. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    6. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      These announcements remind me of the cavalcade of battery tech breakthroughs.

There is a huge gap between lab results and the real world, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It would be interesting if regenerating new hair cells was really possible by just manipulating the ERBB2 gene. I hope they will publish more updates soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. JimmyStrong
      Depressed

JimmyStrong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/Hearing loss related
      Their soon is probably 3-5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hmm, I just read this in the following article:
      Reprogramming by drug-like molecules leads to regeneration of cochlear hair cell–like cells in adult mice | PNAS

Looks like much more progress is needed for solid hair cell regeneration in adults.

10. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      • Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    11. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      True, after the failed trials from Frequency Therapeutics, Otonomy. Audion, Novartis (GenVec), it's all very discouraging.

The work of researcher Zheng-Yi-Chen gives me a tiny glimmer of hope. I've been following his work for 20 years now, and I believe his research is very solid and could offer a perspective. But I agree with you that it will still take years until a clinical trial is conducted, unfortunately.

However, perhaps these findings could also help tinnitus research, whether it's the administration of medication or new insights into signal processing. These passionate researchers give me some hope and help me cope with the situation.

I also hope for a prompt relief of our suffering.

• Hug Hug x 4