Erythromycin & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amelia, Jul 10, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      This is generally seen as not ok isn't it?

I've had a chest infection for about 4 weeks now. A lower dose of amoxil seemed to help a little but now it's back again.

My GP has just prescribed Erythromycin - even after I said that I'd heard it affected ears. She said that it wouldn't and claimed it was another "mycin"drug which caused deafness.

This is also the GP who told me I eat more salt as that helped T (insert eye roll here!)

Is there any literature from the ATA or something I could show her?

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      https://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/f...by_League_for_Hard_of_Hearing_2012_Jul_12.pdf

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ugh dont take it. Such a hard decision.. Ive always thought of this since i am alergic to all the cillins in antibiotics, so my doc will be throwing mycins at me in the future, but im hoping i can treat whatever naturally without antibiotics but im sure my family will be looking at me like i want to be a death sentence and also crazy since they dont understand anything about ears, and T. I could deff see myself being one of those people who dont take ototoxic meds for something then eventually die stupidily cause of it. Maybe ill be on 1000 ways to die! Totally joking...lol but hope your infection clears up!

4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks @Grace - I just can't bring myself too get the prescription filled. Not after all the other experiences I've just read about it.
      And at the moment I don't think I could cope with even a temporary increase in volume

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Have they tried Augmentin Duo on you yet? Amoxycillin & Clavulanic Acid, http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/augmentin-duo-forte-tablets

This is what I usually get prescribed when I have an infection, it is significantly more effective than just amoxycillin alone and I've used it 3 times now without any ill effects on my ears. They usually prescribe Augmentin Duo because amoxcycillin by itself usually doesn't do the job, according to the doctors who have prescribed it to me anyway.

So yeah, if you haven't tried that then maybe give it a go - the "mycin" type antibiotics are notorious for messing with the ears. Having said that though I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple memebers mention they were on "mycin" anitbiotics without any ill effects on their hearing or tinnitus, but err on the side of caution I guess.

Also, are they sure you have infection and not a virus?

In the meanwhile get on some supplements and do whatever you can get things cleared up naturally, you might want to look at getting some NAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine) for this reason:

Plus, NAC is possibly otoprotective.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks @yonkapin! I'm not sure how the GP determined it was an infection rather than a virus, but I actually checked my diary and I've been sick for over a month now, so definitely time to seek another opinion.

I just really have a uncomfortable feeling about the scrip she gave, and while I don't like going behind her back and seeing another GP I think in this case I might have too

7. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I can only re-emphasize what the TT-members above me have said. Aminoglycosides ("mycins") and Fluoroquinolones ("cipros") should be avoided like the plague for people who already have - or potentially have - damage to the inner ear.

She is probably thinking of Vancomycin - "drug of last resort"... But all mycins are ototoxic (more so when given IV).

:)

Plenty. I can/could even provide you with an example from "the real world" (and in the form of an audiogram, no less). From time-to-time, I get people who somehow manage to track me down via facebook and who would like to know more about stem cells and hearing loss reversal. Some months ago, a young woman in her twenties managed to find me as she has had her hearing severely affected ever since being given a course of Streptomycin when she was four years old. She sent me a photo of her audiogram and it shows hearing loss of 60-80db in a good part of the speech frequencies. I obviously cannot release the audiogram on a public forum (without her consent); I suppose I could "cut & paste" the audiogram itself (thereby not disclosing any personal details), but the point is more: "things" really do go wrong from time-to-time (and it isn't always just "horror stories" from the Internet!).

Here is a specific ATA article regarding Erythromycin:

https://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/files/pdf/Drugs_and_Tinnitus_Bauman_April_09.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thank you @attheedgeofscience :) knew you would have the answer!

Just as an update, on my husbands advice I booked in with another GP (who I use on occasions because he doesn't hand out antibiotics like candy, so I usually take my kids to him, and he knows of my T). I managed to get an appointment today and have just got back.

He didn't understand why the other GP prescribed that and said he understood and respected my decision not to take it. Did an examination and while he thinks that I'm probably over the worse of it, he doesn't want my sinus issues to flare up again, so he has given me amoxil for 10 days.

Feeling much more comfortable with that :)

9. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Amelia

I would NEVER take antibiotics other than penicillin...

Also stay away from Biaxin!! Took it in May and made my T louder permanently even thought I couldn't find many reports of permanent effects!

Biaxin = clarithromycin

10. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial Trigger Points
      Also remember that almost all upper (and maybe lower) respiratory infections are caused by viruses so antibiotics won't help. There was a rapid blood test developed to determine if it is virus or bacteria, but it has not made it to clinical use. You would think that would be a basic thing you would want to know. Azithromycin is probably the safest in the mycin family (and most commonly prescribed in my experience), except for IV use which has been linked to tinnitus. However, even some say stay away from oral azithromycin / zithromax for people who have tinnitus. I don't know what antibiotics are safe for tinnitus and work well for respiratory infections. I may need to research that before I need to use an antibiotic. Generally it seems that respiratory infections are virus and topical infections are bacterial. The really dangerous one is Gentamicin or anything in the aminoglycoside family which you can look up. They normally end in "mycin".

Erythromycin is in the macrolide class as is azithromycin, they are not aminiglycosides, but they also end in "mycin", so that can be confusing, but I can't tell you how safe they are for tinnitus. As I said some say to be super safe to stay away from azithromycin. Never take anything in the aminoclycoside family though. There is no reason today I think with all the choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Amelia... I'm kinda focused on this particular ototoxic aspect as it's what really ultra did me in and gave me the H too. I seldom take antibiotics as they are absolute last resort due to T & H...but there are times they have been necessary.

Short story. I Agree with general assessments by those prior above. Agree too that Zithromax (Azithromycin) is super good for bacterial respiratory infections...in my experience. Best out there maybe. It also has an officially low profile "hearing signature"...but I cannot use it any more as it does aggravate my Tinnitus. But I am super reactive!
      If you start it, go up slowly and if like me you will hear your T increase in volume. If not you may be OK with it. When I backed off T went back to baseline. (This has happened twice so feel confident in assuming it is not as bad as the true aminoglycosides where they may not back off!).

Augmentin could be OK too, and packs more punch than Amoxycillin. Though supposedly used for respiratory stuff Amoxy seems totally useless for me.

Here's a brief slice on the Erythromycin profile. Indeed there are worse...far worse antibiotics out there than this one for us....but I would avoid it.

Nervous system
      Reversible hearing loss was reported primarily in patients with renal dysfunction and in patients receiving high doses of erythromycin.
      Several published reviews have indicated that ototoxicity was associated with erythromycin dosages greater than 4 grams per day, preexisting liver or kidney disease, and advanced age. Recovery generally occurred within two weeks.

However, we are all different and you have to put your toes in carefully. And...when on the antibiotic I would avoid all loud sound situations until plasma clearing is complete! Hah...that is probably irrelevant anyway as you most likely do that as a matter of course.

Best of luck. Take care... Zimichael

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've argued with many doctors through the years, and changed doctors many times.

13. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks everyone who replied.
      I've started on my amoxil and I've had a low day (for some reason the first few days on this antibiotic gives me low t - shame it doesn't stick around!)

14. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Amelia... Just a footnote really, and for others reading this thread ref. "safer" antibiotics.

Like I said, I can't take Zithromax without increased T now that I am more reactive. However, now and again I get a bronchial/chest/respiratory infection that I just can't shake and it seems to be a sort of weak spot for me. Usually it's from getting chilled in the chest (cold wind without proper jacket) and there's a bug around.
      OK...last time this happened this past winter, I tried the Zith at 1/2 dose and T went up. Tried again at 1/3 dose, same deal. Bummer, as it was very effective in my pre-reactive days and indeed one of the best for respiratory stuff.
      Anyway, I had Amoxycillin on hand (as it seems to be safe for my T) and went a week with it. No effect on the respiratory thing at all. I panicked a bit as knew that the longer the infection whatever lasted, the deeper set in it gets.

Called a doc friend and he said he always used Doxycycline..."For respiratory stuff???" I asked, as was not familiar with it for that [= the front line Lyme antibiotic, etc., etc.]. He wrote up a scrip but I was skeptical. I knew it had no "hearing signature" per se. and indeed it did not. And indeed it kicked out the respiratory infection! Maybe a little slower than Zithromax would have, but it did the job.

So for T people, Doxycycline could well be on your short list if you need an antibiotic...Though everyone is different so always try a lower initial dose and check then monitor your T volume...And - my 'stuck record mantra': stay out of loud sound environments when on any heavy duty med/drug. Probably unnecessary warning for T folk, but IMHO I do see some people pushing the volume envelope in the forum on occasion.

Hope you get over your bug soon Amelia... Take care, Zimichael

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Zimichael great post. you are a very friendly TT member.

16. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Ask the doctor if Amoxicillin/clavulanate AUGMENTIN can be used??

17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Zimichael is correct. Erythromycin is a macrolide. It's the aminoglycosides that are well known for causing hearing damage. And @yonkapin is right about taking NAC, which might offer you protection in case you are concerned and aren't able to take another drug.

Here is information on NAC being used for antibiotic protection:

You should also check out protocol for the clinical trial that uses antioxidants to protect from noise-induced hearing loss:

If you decide to take NAC, please also consider other drugs you are taking and look for possible interactions. WebMD is usually a good source for this type of information. For the link to NAC, click here.