My Tinnitus Origin Story: Angiogram Made Everything Worse (Ear Pain, Pressure, Terrible Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rangelem, May 27, 2024.

1. Rangelem

Rangelem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure but have suspicions
      Hey everyone, I hope you're hanging in there through these tough times. I'm 32 years old, a fan of metal music, and dealing with chronic illness now, I guess.

I've had ringing in my ears (tinnitus) my whole life, but it used to be rare, lasting only a few seconds and occurring maybe twice a year.

However, everything changed for me on March 2nd of this year. I attended an Alkaline Trio concert and experienced symptoms similar to a mini-stroke that lasted about 5 seconds. After that, I returned to normal.

To be cautious, I went to the emergency room, where some imaging showed a possible tear in my carotid artery, but other scans did not confirm this. Two weeks after the concert, and after going through COVID-19 with no symptoms, I had a cerebral angiogram to get a better look. I was scared of having a stroke, so I agreed to the procedure.

Unfortunately, that decision turned out to be the worst mistake of my life.

After the angiogram, I started experiencing terrible ear pain and pressure on the left side, along with strange, terrible sounds in my head. I can only describe these sounds as similar to popping electric bubbles, as well as a noise like liquid moving with bubbles in my head. I also have the trademark ringing tinnitus that comes and goes all day, and it's getting worse over time. The tinnitus occurs in both ears but not at the same time.

I have no idea what happened during the angiogram, but I feel irreparably damaged and depressed. Has anyone else ever experienced this popping bubble-like noise in their head? It's kind of like when you blink and there's a little pop due to trapped air, but it's happening in my head and ears.

I'm actively trying to address this with doctor appointments, so I'll update this post as I go, in case anyone else goes through something similar in the future.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      That's really unfortunate. Hopefully, it lightens up eventually, as it does with many other people. You're not the first person on here who's gotten worse tinnitus from the iodine contrast from a CTA scan; that's what it was, right? Or was it an MRA scan?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rangelem

Rangelem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure but have suspicions
      Hey there! No, it was a cerebral angiogram, which is the one where they put a catheter in your groin up to your neck arteries to look at your brain arteries and stuff. It was over two months ago, so unfortunately, I don't think it was due to the contrast. I'm afraid that that procedure caused a cranial CSF leak, which I recognize is virtually impossible, but I don't know how else to explain these horrible symptoms. I'm going to Mayo this week, so hopefully, that will get me on the road to figuring this out. It sucks!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      Heads up for anyone concerned about Contrast CT Angiogram:

I just had a Contrast CT Angiogram scan, which didn't worsen my tinnitus.