Eustachian Tube Drainage

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by click, Oct 2, 2012.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Has anyone tried this?

See section 3 of the 'top five treatment approaches' at:

http://dremilykane.com/2002/05/10/top-five-remedies-for-tinnitus/

I'm having trouble finding my 'tonsillar pillar' !

_________________________________________________________________________________
      Added by Tinnitus Talk's administrative team:
      Please register to Tinnitus Talk. It is free. We are a nice group of knowledgeable individuals and you will certainly benefit becoming one of us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I posted the technique for you click! ;)

Eustachian Tube Drainage
      What? This is a naturopathic technique used to relief congestion in the tube behind the eardrum by draining fluid away from the ear. Ideally you can find your local naturopath to show you this technique; if not, you can give it a whirl on your own. This practice will help your tinnitus if it’s due to congestion of the ear, nose or throat. It’s also a good technique to expedite curing a simple ear infection, or unblocking your ears after diving or flying. First, make sure your hands are clean. With your mouth not too wide open, gently find your back molars on one side with your index finger. Beyond the molars is the curve of flesh-covered bone that creates the hinge between the upper and lower jaw. Gently go beyond the hinge, towards the back of the throat until you find a stringy vertical tendon. This is called the “tonsillar pillar”. Touch here will make most people gag, so go softly and carefully. Just behind the tonsillar pillar, down low near the root of the tongue, is the Eustachian tube, which feels like a small “mole tunnel” under the flesh. It may be impossible to feel, but if you got the tonsillar pillar you’re in the right area. Gently stroke the Eustachian tube from the ear side of the back of the throat towards the middle (towards the tongue) several times until you can’t stand it. Same thing on the other side if the tinnitus is bilateral. Do this daily and consistently for up to a week. Repeat as needed.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Calin ... but I think you're as ditzy as me! :)
      The text you have pasted is the same as the text in section 3 of my link?
      Unless I'm getting even more peculiar & I'm missing something - if so... blame it on the T!
      I still can't find my tonsillar pillar - maybe I don't have one:cry:

4. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yes dear. I just coped and pasted from that link the relevant portion that you were referring to.

I thought it would be helpful.

My T is extremely low and I am feeling really good today.

5. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi All,im not saying its the answer but have you ever seen this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449CW36/

My ENT dr in London pulled this out of his pocket to show me ( It was like two gunslingers as i pulled mine out LOL!!!) He was amazed I had one but us Tinnitus bods are good at research arent we.

All the best ,Pete

• Like Like x 2
    6. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I was about to get one... however, $199 is a bit steep. I am not that bad! hehe

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Glad to hear your T is low Calin - hope it stays that way for you.

8. boshack
      Fine

boshack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1978
      Interestingly i have had a similar experience and was told it was draining the tubes. This was done by a kineseoligist and in one session took me from very bad to nothing as far as ringing is concerned. It has come back but generally much better.
      I wonder if drainage is an answer.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I have tried several attempts at the placing your finger on the back of the throat and rubbing for the ET to drain or whatever. I get this loud pop in my right ear occassionally when I'm laying on right side at night. By the way, this is the ear of my T and my TMJ which has been resolved from wearing an orthotic for a year. It sounds like when the ET is clogged, I use a saline solution every day and when I lean my head back or the side I get a great amount of crackling noise. Anyone have any ideas on this?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi chicken

I'm convinced that my T is caused by blocked eustachian tubes - probably being caused by an allergy alongside environmental issues at the start of my T.

I still can't find my tonsillar pillar though!

When I trace my fingers near where it is supposed to be I get this echo and hollow feeling - really weird. It actually feels like there is something going on inside.

I do get crackles as well but not all the time.

I think that most ENTs know about blocked eustachian tubes and this is why a nasal spray is one of the first treatments they try when you go to them with tinnitus.

click

11. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I went to an ENT last year and he gave me Flonase, a prednisone spray, and it made me crazy - i'm not real good with steriods. Do u think this has something to do with the TMJ and all the complications it gave me and this is one of the last symptoms along with the tinnitus to be resolved? The saline spray seems to help somewhat. The popping and cracking in the jaw is fixed but sometimes when I open my mouth it still feels sore on the right side.

12. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      That's funny, gunslinger Pete!

I've a relative with one side on off blockage of Eustachian tube, often during drinking or eating, it blocks and he got to open jaw to release trapped pressure. Does your gunslinger work?

13. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Howdy pardner ........:D

No sadly Ellen put Ive got bad TMJ issues which an osteopath is working on,he said the muscles etc around the TMJ and the TMJ itself are attached to the Eust, Tube and that needs sorting out.

14. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Pete, my dentist placed his fingers around some strategic points around the jaw, and I could actually feel sore pain.
      He then placed each finger deep into my mouth corners (at both sides of the throat), and I'm surprised there is a sore pain again. There was even click-clack sounds when he tried another procedure where I open my jaw and then slowly close it. He says I have very slight TMJ issues and recommend an acrylic mouth guard. To treat the cause is to find ways to destress - that area in particular.

Do you grind your own teeth out while asleep?

15. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi ellen ,Grinding my teeth Is a major problem. I had a neuro muscular dentist make made to measure acrylic night guard.Now bearing In mind if an elephant stood on it ,it would be fine,I bit clean through It one night she was amazed ,just shows the power of the jaw.

I sourced these http://www.bowen-nst-therapy.com/catalog/tmj-products

Bowen Is a manipulative treatment (like osteopathy but not like osteopathy if you know what I mean.)

They are a pliable plastic and the standard one Is best for me ,having tried a few.

Thing Is Ellen a dentist messed my teeth up years ago and ended up with no teeth bottom left no teeth top right. Plus the grinding my reamining teeth were terrible. So you can imagine how stressed my TMJ ended up.An MRI scan showed arthritis and Inflamation.

I realised until my teeth were sorted no amount of therapy would sort the TMJ out.In the UK Dentist prices are nuts. So I went to Hungary and had 5 implants 24 crowns and 2 Bridges and something called Gnaphology where the trained dentist got my bite In the right place.
      So now my bite from a dental point of view is as good as dentistry can get it,but still major problems head and jaw wise (from a cranial osteopaths perspective) Yes I have High freq hearing Loss but I have pressure and strange pains from the ears and In my gut I know its all TMJ based.

So now Ive decided ill take this cranial osteopathy to the time when Ive taken it as far as it can go ,so that means sticking with it for months.He said my head is not pulsing as it should do and till thats flowing he cant start on my bones next to my nose that are seized so they dont pump the E tube and finally to be able to work on the TMJ itself. ....and yes he has put his fingers Inside and the left which Is the worse ear that finger pressure was really sore.

All the best Ellen,Pete

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Just an update.. so in December I was convinced that T was caused by eustachian tubes... but not now. I am back to believing that silence caused it. Apparently the fluid in the eustachain tubes is constantly replenishing itself and my efforts to clear them didn't do any good anyway... & now I don't even think they are blocked.

Round and round in circles....

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Being relatively new to T, (12/2012) I too think have a lot of problems with the Eustachian tubes. It seems like stuff won't drain, then stuff does drain. GROSS STUFF COMING UP SKIP IT YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW - Then it seems like really gross tasting fluid drips out of my ears. Most of the time it was clear and salty. END GROSS STUFF. Some days my ears feel full. I took NAC for almost three months, which seemed to help. I have stopped taking now, and only take 800 - 1,000 mg of magnesium each day. It seems to keep the T to a manageable level. I am coping...

I agree with you, round and round in circles. Hang in there, hope you have good days this week!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      hi sworthi

well you have just reinforced for me that mine wasn't blocked eustachian tubes, as I didn't have anything coming up or coming out... disgusting or otherwise!

Hope you have good days too.

Click

19. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Have you seen that Eustachian Tube drain procedure that someone (probably Click!) posted on here??

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Pete, I've had Bruxism for yonks, didnt even know it until a dentist told me 10 years ago that's why my front lower teeth are small, I;ve ground them down! Never gave me T though. One night in loud music did.

21. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Haha, that's funny again, never mess with elephant gunslinger Pete!

Dentist says when conscious, we're able to control bite force. But bruxism's danger lies in when asleep, the conscious control is off, and the bite force can be the force of 10 trucks (or 10 elephants). Just an illustration he's giving, the exact force is measured more scientifically I'm sure.

The Bowen you mentioned, is it a replacement for your cracked acrylic mouth guard? Made-to-measure by the dentist horribly expensive so cheaper alternatives that works, please share.

Did you trace how your TMJ gets to such a bad stage? Any way to arrest the issue at source to prevent recurrence?

Can you share more on how your ear popper really work to clear eustachian tube blocks?

Do you recommend implants over bridge? (Sorry, click, we are hijackers of your thread at the rate we are going. Carlover, you might like to PM this last one as we're going off the T track)

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Feel free. I think hijacking threads makes them more interesting.

23. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi all. I had a funny sensation going on in my left ear about a year and a half ago (the only way I can describe it is like Rolf Harris's wobble board - so I imagined my eardrum was undulating like that). Anyway, I was told I had an infection of the eustachean tube so was given antibiotics. It went away very quickly and had no problems until just after Chrismas 2012 when I was getting some pain and soreness in the same ear. I went back to the docs but they could not see any problems and the pain went away. Then low and behold, just after Easter I got tinnitus (hissing in both ears but louder high pitched whistle in left ear). I was put on some more antibiotics but they did not do anything to stop the tinnitus. After several blood tests (all normal) and coming off Sertraline (as suggested by the doc) I saw the doc this morning and she told me she can see bubbles behind my left eardrum meaning there is fluid there but that "there's nothing that they can do about removing it" although she is referring me to an audiologist for a hearing test. I found it so hard too believe that there is no way that the fluid can be drained. I would be prepared to have a big bore syringe stuck in my neck behind my ear if I thought it would get rid of this tinnitus, quite frankly.

Well, I have to say, your posts have given me some hope that there are ways to drain the tubes. So I am going to try my hardest to locate this tonsillar pillar and let you know how I get on! All the best and keep your chin(s) up!

• Like Like x 1
    24. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Sybs, that sounds ridiculous doesn't it? I thought there were Gromits for draining ear fluid?

25. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      A decent Osteopath will be able to go Into your mouth andwork on the eustachian tube.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Who was faster on the draw, you or the ENT? lol Did you earpop each others nose then?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    27. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      earpopping all over the place Just lolllooo better than boddypopping if youve got T

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. bootlegnjack

bootlegnjack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, ear infections, blocked eustacian tube
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I'm going to start looking into this more thoroughly. Thouht I'd bump this thread for now.