Expecting Silence Again?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hearandnow, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hearandnow

hearandnow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22 January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Hello,

I'm a 21-year-old studying abroad this spring. A few weeks ago (in fact, tonight makes it exactly three weeks), I went to a nightclub that had pretty loud music. I left at around four in the morning, and woke up to pain in my ears the next morning. Tinnitus and hyperacusis followed thereafter. This post is a Hail Mary inquiry to see what y'all think.

1) My tinnitus has gotten slightly better since the onset. It's a faint, high-pitched noise, coupled with a whooshing sound. I hear it in class, when I'm about to fall asleep, or when I'm in otherwise quite environments.

2) My hyperacusis has gone from being almost unbearable--ears clogging in conversation with people, riding the metro, eating in the dinning hall--to nonexistent.

3) I've been taking ginkgo and corticosteroids for the past two weeks, twice daily.

I'm wondering what you think my chances are for this tinnitus to fade away (as opposed to simply habituating) completely. I've never had tinnitus before, know it's a fickle thing that's hard to diagnose, and understand for this reason that nobody really knows. However, I do recognise that some of you here are knowledgable, and therefore might be able to give me insight as to what I could (as opposed to should) expect.

Any and all answers are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nico

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Things in your favour:

1) First time contracting tinnitus. As people here will tell you, you only get one chance. If it goes away, it could come back and be a lot more persistent
      2) You're young. At 21 you're not likely to have accumulated a lot of hearing loss from life or acoustic trauma.
      3) Corticosteroids! Good.

Have you been to see your GP, ENT or audiologist?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @hearandnow,
      Your tinnitus could go completely.
      Your ears were telling you they don't like loud music etc so please keep away from extra loud places and use ear protection when you find your in a loud place otherwise your tinnitus could become worse and permanent.

love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hearandnow

hearandnow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22 January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Yes, I went to a ENT here. It was a pretty standard thing where she measured my hearing, which was normal (I realise that undetectable hearing damage can happen, though). She told me to do the corticosteroids for 15 days, and stay on the gingko until this May. My custom earplugs come in this upcoming Monday.

I'm just hoping to get silence back. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to carry on with school, and a social life that doesn't go above 85 decibles.

--n

• Like Like x 1
    5. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Looks like you've done all the right things.

Hoping you can be rid of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      The h going away so quickly is a great sign. Glad to hear the t has gotten a little better too! No promises but stay positive and don't expose yourself to loud noises while your ears are healing.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I'd keep it lower than that for a few weeks/months. Then aim for 85 decibels if all goes well. -- Best!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just remember - we as humans cannot regrow inner ears. Once you lose them, they're gone. So please be cautious. No night of bumping up against skanks in a busy club is going to be worth a lifetime of depression and never experiencing silence again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hearandnow

hearandnow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22 January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Seems a little late so say that now, don't you think? We'll see.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes, and that means that your hearing is not at all normal because ENT's and audiologist are dead wrong about hearing loss. Good thing you let your ears heal, keep doing that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You won't believe how many people go back to nightclubs AFTER getting T. The reason they often use is they "don't want to have T drive their bus."

Some of them actually report being fine (it is not clear how close they are to getting to that "last straw" that would change that). Others regret making this particular decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are a few threads on here where people have massively decreased their tinnitus over time, then ONE incident brings it back. @Don Tinny had his tinnitus dissipate greatly over a few years, went to one gig WITH EARPLUGS and it came back.

I know you're a young guy and young guys want to go out and do the things young guys do, but be very weary from now on. And certainly don't tempt fate.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @hearandnow -- It seems you're missing a really import point here. -- It appears injured ears are very similar to concussions. If a person sufferes a concussion, and then has another one before the first one is done healing, the 2nd concussion can be several times worse. It makes sense, as an injured brain trying to heal doesn't have the resilience of a healthy brain to withstand a new trauma.

It's often the same with injured ears. Many people don't understand that they can take many weeks/months to fully heal (if ever). You're in a fortunate place, as you're young, are doing a number of good things. and in my mind, your prognosis is very good. -- The ear healing process continues even after improvements such as less pain, less fullness, less tinnitus, less hyperacusis. It's at these times that too many people make the mistake of deciding they're ears are healed well enough to do "normal" things, which is often not the case. It may never be the case, but the period of maximum vulnerability is in the beginning, especially the first year. -- Best!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know they say "if it's too loud, you're too old", but I was in a chain restaurant here in the UK this weekend and they were playing their music at 85db. I had to lean in to speak to my girlfriend and I thought "why the hell does anyone really need music louder than this?"

16. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely like the concussion simile.

I know a guy locally who is a rugby player. He had loads of concussions. Went to see him fight a Thai boxing exhibition fight. One kick to the head and he was OUUUUUUUUT. Suffered massive memory loss after, kept re-introducing himself to people. There's no doubt that the many concussions he sustained on the rugby pitch had progressively lowered his ability to take trauma.

• Informative Informative x 1