Experiences with Myringoplasty?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yas, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hello all.

I have been searching the internet to read about people’s experiences with myringoplasty but can’t seem to find much.

There’s a high chance that I may need this procedure done to patch up my perforation.
      My main fear is that it will cause further complications such as louder tinnitus.

What are people’s experiences with this surgery? I want to know before making a very important decision!

Thank you!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My daughter had this surgery a few months back. She hasn't reported any T.
      You list your perforated eardrum as cause for your T, so this surgery could potentially resolve your T, which is huge!
      As usual, surgeries have risks, so you have to get all the info on the risks, weigh in the pros & cons, and make a decision. Nobody can make that judgement call for you.

If you decide to go ahead with the procedure, be picky with your surgeon! Ask for success and failure rates.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum

Thank you for your response! I’m happy to hear that your daughters surgery was successful!
      I don’t know if I have the luxury of being picky with a surgeon as my treatment is on the NHS, I can’t afford a private surgeon!

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely do that!