Exposed to Over 100 dB for Ages — Panicking

Discussion in 'Support' started by MonstercatMusic, Feb 19, 2018.

1. MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      So I ended up in a situation where I was exposed to somewhere in 100 dB range for about 45 mins. I was annoyed at myself for not leaving and just powering through.

Now my tinnitus has spiked moderately (but not extremely) and I'm really pissed off because I may or may not have damaged my hearing.
      I'm going to stay away from any moderately loud noise for at least 10hrs now.
      I'm am really mad at myself for allowing it. It was loud enough that I'm probably underestimating the db level because I don't want to believe it was higher.

I've been in unpleasant situations before but this takes the cake by a mile.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      See, I was expecting to see "10 Months" (and that would have been kind of too short of a time) there. In any case, please carry on.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      A first week or so after I first got my T I had a maniac episode and blasted my ears with loud music making it permanently worse. Just relax and hope it does go back to it's original volume and be more protective of your ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      Kinda hard to avoid moderately loud noise where I am. Don't be such a scare monger

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will be interesting to see how being brave works out for you and for other brave people. Please share your experience with us, no matter what this experience turns out to be.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What were you thinking? Were you trying to drown out T? Where you trying to take your mind off of T?

7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      What is done..is done. Try to avoid situations like these in the future, they can eventually take a toll on your ears and hearing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    8. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      When your tinnitus becomes PERMANENTLY worse due to your own negligence, I'll be there to remind you...!

• Like Like x 3
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      At those levels, it can get worst and it can be quite nasty... just how loud it can get...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      This is the only time since my T I've done such a thing. Not like I got to concerts every few weeks and all that. They are probably on the same noise level though.

I'm not being 'Brave' as other have refered to it. I'm in a new environment with people I don't know so I'm not gonna lock myself away and become Billy no mates.

The reason for such a sound level was 600 people raising their voices to each other.

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      be careful you dont want severe tinnitus..

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Where were you?

13. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Get fitted with ear plugs and start wearing them in loud environments. This is a must. Tinnitus is nothing to be toyed with. You're flirting with the devil in my opinion by continuing to expose yourself to loud sounds. I don't buy that there is no way for you to avoid it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thats a bad idea. You could always go for the napkins and stuff-em in your ears in case of an emergency. Earplugs are the ideal sollution indeed, the smallest (most invisible) ones I know of would be the ones from earpeace. They also come in skin collor to perhaps stop people asking about them, which I had happen with a different brand once which looked like small antenna.
      link: https://www.earpeace.com/collection...-protection/products/excision-limited-edition
      excision-box_2000x.jpg
      Earpeace hearing protection.

I hope your T eleviates, be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      Funny you mention that product. Just ordered them after being stuck in a 100db environment for a while again not long after this post. My T hasnt spiked at all. It's louder than it used to be as it randomly spiked a week before these incidents. You know the random spikes that last like 10 seconds and go. I had one of them but it never subsided. Its 10x more intrusive than previously. I'm just glad I didnt experience any changes after my stupidity being in that noise level twice. I' gauge it at 100db with 120db spikes. Stupidity at its finest.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      Somewhere that involves large cheering / shouting crowds and irresponsibly loud speakers. Was there twice. Once for 45mins once for 2hrs. (At least during the 2hrs it wants continuously high leve but still pushing it)

It wasnt a concert but I dont want to explain in case someone i know comes across this and asks me.

17. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      100 dB is a lot and of course there is a risk that it's worsened. Bear in mind though, that you're also fueling the T by thinking about whether it's worsened or not. If you're lucky, it hasn't.

And it's not easy to kick those thoughts, not at all. I'm in the middle (?) of fighting a spike myself. This after a loud party 10 days ago. (Though I did wear earplugs the entire night, it started something).

Good Luck!

18. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well the earplugs are quite cool looking so maybe thats why we both thought of these;).

The random spikes are startling yeah, I had them sometimes during the day. While my T only shows up at night at quiet times normally, infrequently it spikes for a bit and I might even hear it during the day for a little while. Then again a whole bunch of times its like.. the fridge or something, and im like: o noo its a spike! But not really then.

19. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Not worth it. Friends can come and go. If they aren't cool with you avoiding loud noise then you may not want them as friends, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You really weren't stuck, right? Next time leave. Think temporary vs permanent. Just be careful, my friend. Always carry foam earplugs with you. Always.

21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Close your ears with your fingers or hands. Unless you are in prison, you can leave.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      The spike died down thankfully. I reckon the sound peaked at like 125db when people where chanting for about 5mins. Wish I had brought my ear plugs earlier and worn them then. A mate had ringing after the event but lucky for them they won't know what living with it is like as it died down after a few hours.

• Like Like x 1