Extreme Hyperacusis and Tinnitus Have Improved Over the Past 2.5 Years

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by DeepUniverse, May 25, 2018.

1. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      My hearing and T is slowly getting better over time but it takes time as the damage was quite extensive

• Like Like x 2
    2. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I hear you. My T was caused by me cupping my ears during a very loud and long guitar solo. My ears would burn, I would stop and then start again like it was some kind of drunk'n game. Stupid I know..

The funny thing is that I saw the same band about 15 years earlier and complained that it was too loud because our sky box was right in front of the speakers. (I didn't drink at that concert.)

I kick myself every day for doing what I did to myself but life goes on and I've come to accept it (80% of the time).

It also pushes me to run a couple miles every other day which helps me tremendously. -- I'm on the Keto diet too which sounds worse than it is and have to thank my wife for getting me on that. Now I just need to cut back on the salt which sends my T through the roof!

Who knows. Maybe if I didn't have T, I would still be living an unhealthy lifestyle and on the verge of a heart attack! -- That is the way I look at it now.

You stay strong too and keep busy! :)

• Like Like x 3
    3. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @John Meyers,

I was wondering if you've experimented with different kinds of salt. My understanding is regular table salt--and even most sea salt--is pretty toxic. Celtic salt is apparently supposed to be better. But I've heard Himalayan salt is the best, which is what we use. I've read that despite the high amounts of salt we eat per capita, that most people are actually sodium deficient because of the kind of salt they eat. Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there.​

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Hello Lane,

My wife and I just switched to Himalayan salt about 2 months ago since we are now on the Keto diet.

I didn't really notice a difference from it specifically, however, the diet as a whole has made me feel young again and no longer sluggish. - The T is still there but I do get through the day now with hardly noticing it.

I'm also going to try CBD Hemp Oil. I'll let you know how that works out too.

• Like Like x 3
    5. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @DeepUniverse

I just found your posts today but I see you've been a member of TT for a while. I think your thread is making a great contribution to the forum. Especially saying that ear plugs, patience and walks in the forest help in recovery. I'm a big believer in walks in the forest. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello John!

Thank you for your kind post.

I agree with you completely. Although it sounds paradoxical, tinnitus does not only bring bad side to life, but also some good aspects and/or consequences. Many patients who have tinnitus began to live much more healthily than before the disease. They started eating healthier food and implementing a lot of sports activities. This way of life not only benefits from the improvement of tinnitus/hyperacusis, but also to the body as a whole.

Best regards!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello New Guy!

Thank you for your kind post.

Yes, the nature is a universal healer. Nature regenerates us and has a very positive effect on our physical and mental body. The natural sounds are very pleasant and they are a true balm for the ears compared to the very loud concerts and city noise. A good night's sleep and frequent visits to the forest is the best a person can do for his/her health.

Best regards!

• Like Like x 3
    8. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      @DeepUniverse
      You rock! This is a great post thread and your message is very positive and helpful
      You are correct, it takes time and lots of it. I am nearly 2 years into my recovery and my T has faded 90%+ and H is totally gone (although loud sharp noises still hurt)
      Sometimes it can take years

• Like Like x 3
    9. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @jjflyman, wow, congratulations--so good to hear! Yesterday was one of the better days I've had in the five months since I got tinnitus--today was as bad as ever. But I try to take encouragement that yesterday was no fluke, and I'm on a positive trajectory. Your testimonial helps keep hope alive. -- Thanks!

10. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Thanks
      Actually, this is my second time with really bad T (both times from acoustic trauma). The first time 12 years ago was screaming loud and I was suicidal, I thought my life was over, but it faded to zero in about 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello jjflyman,

I am so happy for your recovery. Yes, (loud) high-frequency noises are the most critical for persons suffered for hyperacusis. The good news is that almost in all cases the hyperacusis is gradually annihilated. Of course, the patients should never be exposed to loud sounds again. This is especially important in case when the main causes for hyperacusis/tinnitus were loud sound or acoustic trauma.

Best regards!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello,

Two very good signs for people with tinnitus are:
      - when tinnitus after a long period of time (after weeks, months or even years) of constant intensity turns into changing perception of volume (i.e., the loudness of tinnitus changes over time),
      - when the ringing from time to time turns into hissing.

These two signs are often the precursors of gradual recovery.

Best!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Low 20 years high sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Very informative thanks

14. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excellent info thanks

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Many people ask me how long does it take to recover from hyperacusis.

It is very difficult to answer this question, because there are:

1. A large amount of different reasons to develop hyperacusis,
      2. Many different intensities and types of hyperacusis.

In addition, each person responds different to hyperacusis.

In the worst case, it may take years for the body to recover from severe hyperacusis. However, the most important is that even extreme hyperacusis (i.e., with the LDL as low as 30 db) slowly reduces over time.

16. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I hope you all have full recovery in time... profoundly.... @DeepUniverse

• Like Like x 1
    17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cannot thank you enough.You are my hero. I will try to follow your advice. Thanks again. This is one of the best threads I have ever read.I will print it and keep it by my bedside.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello,

Just a short update after almost three years after onset of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Hyperacusis slowly decreases, however there are also days when it increases temporarily due to unknown reasons. But in general I made a huge progress in the past two years regarding hyperacusis.

Tinittus is still very loud but it is somehow softer and less intrusive than before two years.

As you can read here

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ed-over-the-past-2-5-years.29268/#post-345543

I also tried a CBD oil in the past (before 20 months). Before week or so I bought a 5 % CBD oil again. I do not expect any major improvement, but a CBD oil is in most cases useful for the body.

Stay strong and persistent!

• Like Like x 2
    19. Natashasewast
      Alienated

Natashasewast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otototoxicity
      Hi EEDog. Sorry to hear of your struggle as it sounds identical to my nightmare. Im curious to know if you since have had any improvement with your H or T?

• Like Like x 1
    20. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi DeepUniverse,

I also had extreme hyperacusis and over time it turnet into hearing loss, very similar to yours, almost idential audiogram. Lately I am having problems to hear well in noisy environments, places with a bit of background noise or reverberation. I am quite worried about it. How do you manage with the hearing loss? Does it affect your daily tasks, work..?

Best regards!

21. EDogg

EDogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Natashasewast I am sorry to hear of your nightmare too. Thank you for asking about me. It has been about 7 months since the referenced post. I have had better days, where I have little to no pain and reduced H and T, and streaks of setback with pain, worsening hyperacusis and loud piercing tinnitus. I would say, overall, I am about the same as I was at the time of that post and continue to seek out a solution for this nasty ear pain that limits my ability to desensitize to sound. I have met with numerous clinicians, audiologists and researchers and am trying to learn as much as I can and beat this thing. I continue to push myself to work and stay engaged, though it’s a serious struggle at times. I think the area where I have most improved is my ability to cope with the symptoms and find work-arounds. I dearly miss my social life and my music and am fighting with all I have to get that back.

I am curious to know more about your story, since you mention you have a similar struggle? Feel free to PM me if you’d rather discuss privately too. Those of us with the trifecta (H, T and otalgia) need to liaise as much as possible and help each other through this. Hope you are recovering!

EDogg

• Like Like x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello Juan!

I have similar problems. Background noise impedes good understanding of words and ability to focus on the speach I want to hear. However, this problem doesn't affect too much to my life to much because I can't attend at too loud group events, because of my hypeacusis and tinnitus.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis are much bigger problems than hearing loss in my case. When I speak with a person or two in normal ambient with a very little background noise I barely noticed any problem regarding hearing loos and understanding of words. Therefore, hearing loss itself practically does not affect my daily life.

Good news is that hyperacusis gradually improves (but at the onset on the hyperacusis three years ago I was not able turning the newspaper pages or typing on the computer keyboards without earplugs). Now I can tolerate sound up to 75-90 db (it depends on sound frequency and duration).

Of course, I will never again go to concerts or loud group events. However, this is a low price compared to all the rest of the interesting things I can do in life despite of the fact that I have tinnitus and hyperacusis. Every tinnitus/hyperacusis patient should know that the recovery time can last several weeks, months or even years.

Paradoxically, the vast majority of patients with tinnitus discovered during the recovery that the unbelievable power lies in our bodies and souls on the path to gradually recovery. We would probably never discover some parts of our personality if we didn’t get tinnitus. Paradoxically, but it is true.

Stay strong. Best regards!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yeah, it is true that hearing problems reveal new aspects of one's personality.

Lately I have been noticing that listening to music does not make my ears as tired as listening to conversation. Maybe it's because one does not need to find words in jazz or classical music, the brain probably works with different mechanisms.