Extreme Hyperacusis and Tinnitus Have Improved Over the Past 2.5 Years

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by DeepUniverse, May 25, 2018.

1. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      @DeepUniverse
      You rock! This is a great post thread and your message is very positive and helpful
      You are correct, it takes time and lots of it. I am nearly 2 years into my recovery and my T has faded 90%+ and H is totally gone (although loud sharp noises still hurt)
      Sometimes it can take years

• Like Like x 4
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @jjflyman, wow, congratulations--so good to hear! Yesterday was one of the better days I've had in the five months since I got tinnitus--today was as bad as ever. But I try to take encouragement that yesterday was no fluke, and I'm on a positive trajectory. Your testimonial helps keep hope alive. -- Thanks!

3. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Thanks
      Actually, this is my second time with really bad T (both times from acoustic trauma). The first time 12 years ago was screaming loud and I was suicidal, I thought my life was over, but it faded to zero in about 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello jjflyman,

I am so happy for your recovery. Yes, (loud) high-frequency noises are the most critical for persons suffered for hyperacusis. The good news is that almost in all cases the hyperacusis is gradually annihilated. Of course, the patients should never be exposed to loud sounds again. This is especially important in case when the main causes for hyperacusis/tinnitus were loud sound or acoustic trauma.

Best regards!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello,

Two very good signs for people with tinnitus are:
      - when tinnitus after a long period of time (after weeks, months or even years) of constant intensity turns into changing perception of volume (i.e., the loudness of tinnitus changes over time),
      - when the ringing from time to time turns into hissing.

These two signs are often the precursors of gradual recovery.

Best!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Very informative thanks

7. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excellent info thanks

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Many people ask me how long does it take to recover from hyperacusis.

It is very difficult to answer this question, because there are:

1. A large amount of different reasons to develop hyperacusis,
      2. Many different intensities and types of hyperacusis.

In addition, each person responds different to hyperacusis.

In the worst case, it may take years for the body to recover from severe hyperacusis. However, the most important is that even extreme hyperacusis (i.e., with the LDL as low as 30 db) slowly reduces over time.

9. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I hope you all have full recovery in time... profoundly.... @DeepUniverse

• Like Like x 1
    10. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cannot thank you enough.You are my hero. I will try to follow your advice. Thanks again. This is one of the best threads I have ever read.I will print it and keep it by my bedside.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello,

Just a short update after almost three years after onset of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Hyperacusis slowly decreases, however there are also days when it increases temporarily due to unknown reasons. But in general I made a huge progress in the past two years regarding hyperacusis.

Tinittus is still very loud but it is somehow softer and less intrusive than before two years.

As you can read here

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ed-over-the-past-2-5-years.29268/#post-345543

I also tried a CBD oil in the past (before 20 months). Before week or so I bought a 5 % CBD oil again. I do not expect any major improvement, but a CBD oil is in most cases useful for the body.

Stay strong and persistent!

• Like Like x 3
    12. Natashasewast
      Alienated

Natashasewast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otototoxicity
      Hi EEDog. Sorry to hear of your struggle as it sounds identical to my nightmare. Im curious to know if you since have had any improvement with your H or T?

• Like Like x 1
    13. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi DeepUniverse,

I also had extreme hyperacusis and over time it turnet into hearing loss, very similar to yours, almost idential audiogram. Lately I am having problems to hear well in noisy environments, places with a bit of background noise or reverberation. I am quite worried about it. How do you manage with the hearing loss? Does it affect your daily tasks, work..?

Best regards!

14. EDogg

EDogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Natashasewast I am sorry to hear of your nightmare too. Thank you for asking about me. It has been about 7 months since the referenced post. I have had better days, where I have little to no pain and reduced H and T, and streaks of setback with pain, worsening hyperacusis and loud piercing tinnitus. I would say, overall, I am about the same as I was at the time of that post and continue to seek out a solution for this nasty ear pain that limits my ability to desensitize to sound. I have met with numerous clinicians, audiologists and researchers and am trying to learn as much as I can and beat this thing. I continue to push myself to work and stay engaged, though it’s a serious struggle at times. I think the area where I have most improved is my ability to cope with the symptoms and find work-arounds. I dearly miss my social life and my music and am fighting with all I have to get that back.

I am curious to know more about your story, since you mention you have a similar struggle? Feel free to PM me if you’d rather discuss privately too. Those of us with the trifecta (H, T and otalgia) need to liaise as much as possible and help each other through this. Hope you are recovering!

EDogg

• Like Like x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello Juan!

I have similar problems. Background noise impedes good understanding of words and ability to focus on the speach I want to hear. However, this problem doesn't affect too much to my life to much because I can't attend at too loud group events, because of my hypeacusis and tinnitus.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis are much bigger problems than hearing loss in my case. When I speak with a person or two in normal ambient with a very little background noise I barely noticed any problem regarding hearing loos and understanding of words. Therefore, hearing loss itself practically does not affect my daily life.

Good news is that hyperacusis gradually improves (but at the onset on the hyperacusis three years ago I was not able turning the newspaper pages or typing on the computer keyboards without earplugs). Now I can tolerate sound up to 75-90 db (it depends on sound frequency and duration).

Of course, I will never again go to concerts or loud group events. However, this is a low price compared to all the rest of the interesting things I can do in life despite of the fact that I have tinnitus and hyperacusis. Every tinnitus/hyperacusis patient should know that the recovery time can last several weeks, months or even years.

Paradoxically, the vast majority of patients with tinnitus discovered during the recovery that the unbelievable power lies in our bodies and souls on the path to gradually recovery. We would probably never discover some parts of our personality if we didn’t get tinnitus. Paradoxically, but it is true.

Stay strong. Best regards!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yeah, it is true that hearing problems reveal new aspects of one's personality.

Lately I have been noticing that listening to music does not make my ears as tired as listening to conversation. Maybe it's because one does not need to find words in jazz or classical music, the brain probably works with different mechanisms.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cannot tolerate noises over 60 dB. People told me I speak loud so today I measured my voice level and it was over 80 dB but somehow it does not bother me. How come? Am I scared of other noises but not my own?

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      I'm experiencing a very similar issue.

Person with tinnitus (in most cases) much easier tolerates its own voice than the voice(s) of other people, especially in case if the source of these voices is either the crowd of people or the crowd of people and other noises in the shopping centers (e.g., air conditioners, fans, noise of bags, noise of cash-registers). This integrated noise level can be even 10-20 db lower than your own voice, but because integrated noise contains many other frequencies, especially higher than the frequencies of your voice, it is much more uncomfortable than your own voice

• Like Like x 1
    19. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Interesting theory. I assumed this was because there is no "surprise" when it comes to your own voice. Even if our brains has difficulty filter many sounds as irrelevant, it can still filter our own voices.

I have also noted that sounds that I make myself are usually slightly easier to tolerate, i.e. if I drop a spoon its not as bad as if somebody else does it (it still hurts though).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Almost bizarrely, I've noticed the same thing. I've thought that it's because I can somehow "brace" myself if I know a painful sound is coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Ear syringing or irrigation can cause H unfortunately, it happened to me but I'm healing!

• Hug Hug x 2
    22. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Sadly this is not the case for everyone, over the 3 years I've had tinnitus it started from being incredibly low tinnitus and gradually worsened to the point where I can no longer filter it using any means, it is so loud, I feel a constant piercing sensation in my brain. Since I've had tinnitus I have done nothing but being more cautious and cautious with no positive results, I have also tried several times to just carry on with my life as if nothing happened. None of this helped...

Well I am glad that at least it does get better for some people, just wish I was one of them... When all you get is worsening every other month you kinda lose all sense of hope no matter how hard you look for it.

• Hug Hug x 3
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello Emanuel,

Thank you for your post.

I'm so sorry that your condition has not (yet) improved. Please note that virtually every person perceives tinnitus in a different way, and there are as many specific types of tinnitus (and the ways of treatments) as there are tinnitus patients. As I already underlined in my previous posts the best practices for are:

(a) walking in the forest as frequently as possible,
      (b) eating of healthy food (low sugar, low salt, low alcohol),
      (c) good night sleep in a dark room without cell phones and other electronic devices nearby,
      (d) stop watching horror movies, aggressive sport events and noisy-not-important-stressful daily news; consequently, the stress of the central nervous system is also reduced,
      (e) reduce using a cell phone as much as possible,
      (f) do take a hot shower every night before sleep,
      (g) for a good night sleep do not eat at least 4 hours before going to bed,
      (h) stop attending noisy parties and events completely (the earplugs should be your everyday equipment in your bag/pocket - they should be used in case of loud noise produced by various means).

Finally, do not afraid to take a small dose of benzos or sleeping pills when the tinnitus temporarily gets worse. However, please consult your doctor before using any drugs.

And the most important fact: each tinnitus sufferer should have at least one person who fully understands the personal distress the tinnitus patient is experiencing.

Please be patient and I am sure that your condition will improve.

Best,
      DeepUniverse

• Like Like x 1
    24. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @DeepUniverse

Lots of good advice. Would add to try melatonin before going to the benzos as far more benign and less addictive. Also stop all noise exposure, not just from parties, including the lawn mower and vacuum cleaner for example.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Dear friends,

It’s been over five years since onset of my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Back then, I was convinced that my life was over, as the tinnitus was extremely loud, and my loudness discomfort level (LDL) was extremely low - only around 30 dB. Even my own voice was too loud for me, so I spoke very little at the time. For many months I lived as if I were in hell. Also, typing on the computer keyboard was too loud for my ears and was causing pain. I was on sick leave for a few months at the time.

I'm much, much better now. Of course, I have to live up to some restrictions; the main one being that I can no longer attend loud parties, concerts or any to-loud events. When driving long distances, I use earplugs, also in loud city hustle and bustle. I still have tinnitus, but it is much much softer than in the beginning. I also still have hyperacusis, but it is now in a much milder form. I live an almost normal life.

It is very important for anyone who gets tinnitus not to give up. It can take weeks, months or even years for things to start to improve. Please stay strong and persistent. Don’t expect other people to understand your condition. Don’t even expect magical help from doctors. But it is important that you have at least one person who will understand you and whom you can trust.

Best wishes to all tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferers. Things will get better.

Best regards!

PS: In my experience, the following simple rules are of vital importance for recovery from tinnitus/hyperacusis:

- at least one hour of walks in the forest at least 3-4 times a week, especially before sleep,
      - complete abstinence from loud events and concerts,
      - usage of ear plugs in loud environments,
      - a healthy diet: low sugar, low salt and low alcohol,
      - minimize cell-phone conversations as much as possible,
      - take at least 7-8 hours of sleep in a dark room free of electronic devices,
      - minimize watching horror movies, daily breaking news and adrenalin sport events.

• Like x 6
      • Winner x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Funny x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    26. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your 5 year update! If I may, are you regularly using benzos? I am considering using them so appreciate the perspective.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Thank you for coming back and providing updates for us just beginning our journey. I am dealing with both tinnitus and hyperacusis and seen progress but this post helps keep perspective to everyday ups and especially the downs.

• Like Like x 2
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello GBB,

I take occasionally a very small dose of Bromazepam (1.5 mg) and/or a very small dose of Mirtazapine (about 7.5 mg or less) before sleep. Insomnia due to tinnitus can be very stressful and only exacerbates tinnitus. However, great care should be taken when taking drugs. Each patient responds to drugs differently. Please consult your doctor.

Best

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DeepUniverse

DeepUniverse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, loud sound
      Hello Capstan,

If the hyperacusis is very severe, it is a much bigger problem in the initial stage than tinnitus, regardless of the severity of the tinnitus. The good side of hyperacusis is that, while avoiding dangerous circumstances, it slowly fades away. Sometimes it may takes several years. Of course, there can be many ups and downs during this time.

Best

• Like Like x 3
    30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @DeepUniverse -- I believe my hyperacusis had its genesis from a head injury/whiplash at age 15. I also believe the structural shifts it produced eventually led to my hyperacusis becoming more and more problematic as I went into my 30's. When I got tinnitus from a single dose of an ototoxic medication 2 years ago, it made my hyperacusis MUCH worse. In the past couple of years, it's been gradually coming back toward my baseline that I had before the medication incident.

I suspect you're correct about hyperacusis fading away for most people, I think especially for people who had it start with acoustic trauma. It may be true for most other causes of hyperacusis as well. In my case however, I think that early injury that created chronic structural issues is still the primary force behind my continuing hyperacusis, which unfortunately continues to be quite acute--though I feel I've learned to manage it at least fairly well. -- I'm currently looking into using prolotherapy to possibly correct my chronic cervical instability.

• Informative Informative x 2