Faith and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 85dB T, Sep 13, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Re."I do not appreciate seeing religious indoctrination on a message board such as this."

It's not religious indoctrination and why are you reading it? Why read my post out of 3000 recent posts?

Re."If you want to believe that suffering is part of a divine plan, that's fine, but it is not what this board is about.

Suffering is part of having intrusive tinnitus.
      Who are you to decide what this board is about?
      This is my experience with severe tinnitus, sorry you don't like it.

Re."The subject of suicide is not permitted to be discussed on most medical boards I've seen. I would like to see TT enact a ruling to this effect."

Sorry, I'm not the one to voice your concerns regarding this.

Re."A sticky with the suicide hotline phone numbers would be enough."

Please do this yourself. Why should I do it for you.

Also @Luman: I thought I read that two people of this forum have recently taken their lives? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) If so this is a horrible tragedy which may have been avoidable.

This is my life and my experience with tinnitus. My post is titled Faith and Tinnitus for a reason. If you don't like faith don't read it.

Tinnitus is the source of my suffering and as another forum member stated: "The list of effective tinnitus treatments: ZERO."

Sorry, faith is all I have.

Peace and wish you well with your T.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hey Everybody,

Thanks to all for this engaging thread. I hope I don't offend anybody, but I have to say I found most of it quite entertaining and amusing--even had some good belly laughs. Even some of the back and forth sniping had some comical aspects to it. I found it interesting a fair amount of the sniping centered around Coffee Girl and Jazzer, who ironically, are two of my favorite people on this forum. I always seem to enjoy and appreciate their take on just about anything that comes up. I do hope they can eventually see in each other what I see in both of them. -- A few other thoughts below...

My take is there's a BIG difference between religiosity index and spirituality index.

Just to be clear, are you saying you think there's at least a possibility the world is flat?

And I bet none of these civilizations/cultures use the name "God" when referring to a "potential" supreme being.

Best to All! :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The nearest I get to belief in a religion....

E57954E8-F3B5-4A72-A987-19FA875F91D8.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Shouldn't this be moved to General Chat? The continuing debate is anything but supportive, or related to tinnitus.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is now my turn to have a laugh: I am saying you will never know whether I believe the world is flat or a globe...:D

6. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Last word from me:

“Kindness is crucial,
      Belief is optional.”

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I only brought it up because I remembered you explicitly said you did. It doesn’t matter if you do or not, I’m not trying to argue with you, I was just making a point about your sciencific beliefs.

In this thread (https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...son-who-assaulted-me.25712/page-2#post-323784), which is ironically about god again you said this:

There is no definite proof that the earth is a globe. Those pictures you have are composite photos which are made up. I was of the same belief that we live on a spinning ball but now have my doubts and believe we have been told lies to hide a bigger truth. Go to youtube and take your time to watch the videos and listen to the discussions....

Please go to youtube. There you will find plenty of videos on the flat earth.

I believe the earth is flat and the moon langings were fake. If you watch videos on Youtube, you'll learn that no-one can leave the earth because there is invisable firmament, rather like a force-field that prevents this. The flat earth is circular and surrouded by a ring of "ice". No-one is allowed to go to the edges of the earth as they will discover the firmament. Anyone attempting to do so will be stopped by the military. Many countries have signed up to a treaty agreeing to this. There is plently information on youtube and online. Be enlightened.

Michael

It seems the firmament idea has biblical origins:

BF388302-B9EB-456B-8C75-5BEFBB4A251A.jpeg

8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There could be a discussion category devoted to the discussion of faith and tinnitus, similar to ones I've seen on other medical sites for various illnesses and conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Lol you are a fool of you thought I was "riled" by any of your ridiculous claims. I was on my way to NYC and bored on the plane. It took less than a second to write that and frankly what "image" would I care to portray to the likes of you? You think too highly of yourself, good luck to you anyway.

10. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It will be derailed with memes and passive aggressive insults from jazz dude... Check out the one thread about Christian prayers.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please be assured I am not here to argue. During correspondence with anyone, if I notice an argument is going to ensue, I make an abrupt exit as I have done on many occasions and if necessary placed the person on ignore. When I said I believed in the "flat earth" I remember following up the post saying it was a Wind-up. I appreciate those across the pond may not be familiar with the British sense of humour.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm in NYC, Brooklyn to be exact.
      Have fun, the weather isn't bad here, at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Thanks! Currently in Philly and the weather is cloudy... Can't wait to leave this 6 hour plane trip behind me :)

• Like Like x 1
    15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I kinda envy people who have faith. Must be a great reassurance to think there is a higher meaning to your suffering and find comfort in that. Needless to say I am not a believer myself. Faith is not a choice, it is either something you have or you don't, and I don't.

I have tried turning to some higher power (I won't call it God, I personally hate the notion of God) in the darkest hours of my life, but I have got no strength or comfort from it.....no sign of anything.

I am the kind of person who need to see to believe and in my 32 year old life I have not seen an ounce of anything that could remotely suggest the presence of a higher power, so I can NOT believe.

I pride myself in my logic and fact thinking, and a "God" does not fit into that thinking in any way.....for me that is.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Luman, you're close to the US Open? Watched some of it on tv, looked like a very hot summer! I know fall is beautiful in NYC, and Christmas. Guessing the current storm is making for some nice weather. How is your tinnitus?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sounds familiar. When things went well I would drift away towards whatever interested me. But when things weren't going well I considered spiritual things. Now with severe T I can't imagine living without faith. I do everything I can to guard it and keep it from becoming weak. You can almost relate this to going to the gym, I mean similar parallels. You have to have a passion for something. T does not distract me from spiritual things, only worldly. Guess T makes me needy for spiritual things, compassion, empathy, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yet more insults coffee girl:

* you are a fool
      * ridiculous claims
      * the likes of you
      * think too highly of yourself etc...

- none of which I choose to respond to.
      I just point them out for you to consider.

Today’s disagreement arose because you could not resist the temptation to conflate disbelief with negativity, the two being totally unrelated of course, but clearly an attempt to have a negative ‘dig’ at me.
      However, I do not and will not bear a grudge.
      Thank you for your final wishes of good luck.
      The whole thing was quite an adventure.
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
    19. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not passionate about anything. I have things that interest me but none I am passionate about. Never really have known what is like to have a passion, what it feels like to have one.

Probably due to my depressive nature.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depression! (aka "D")

You and I should have plenty in common. I habituated to D long before T. haha

Re."I have things that interest me but none I am passionate about."

Roger that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do need to have some faith as a T sufferer though. Faith in reseachers and them bringing forth a treatment or cure. Anybody who can do that will be a God figure to me :D

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Seeing as I have had depression in various degrees for most of my life, I was habituated to it also, cause I really don't know any different. To me that is just reality of MY life, not something I had to suddently get used to like T and H is.

• Hug Hug x 3
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agree 100%. With T we have to have faith in something. I'm so pessimistic that having faith and hope in God is easier than having faith and hope for successful tinnitus treatments.

A sure enough cure for T would be an unbelievable miracle!

And in my mind is unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I have no grudge against you either. Fact is, I don't really care, I'll say what I want. But it doesn't mean I harbor bad feelings. People get offended and that's their problem, you don't get offended easily and that's good.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The churches should be required to pay taxes on their income, and proceeds could be used to fund medical research, in all areas of health.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, 85DB, it was a very hot summer. It's in the 70's F now, humid but dry today. We are told by the weather people that there will be some rain next week, but nothing like the hurricane which is wreaking havoc, and worse, in other areas such as the Carolina's.

My T has been spiking the past few days, after I stopped taking melatonin for sleep, maybe that's the reason. I can sometimes tune it out, but not so much at the moment. Thanks for asking, how's yours?

• Like Like x 1
    27. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m impervious........xx

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply, hope the storm doesn't do damage. Sorry you're having trouble with sleep and T. Mine is fine I guess!:confused: Woke up with headache, must be pressure from storm or need water. Going to doctor Monday. Like you, hope to ditch some meds. Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      41815262_10160808785745024_2517911915716411392_n.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My last post was a man with an IQ of 200 who believes there is a God and is developing a theory.

Now we have billion dollar entrepreneur Elon Musk who believes we are trapped inside a Matrix-like existence and we are part of a more powerful civilization's simulation. His reasoning is that the universe is almost 14 billion years old, there would have been plenty of time for civilization to arise before people came to be on Earth less than 10,000 years ago.

These things interest me regarding tinnitus because I am seeking to find relief from intrusive tinnitus via a higher power. (Doctors and medicine need to step it up, I am despirate)

You are waiting for a cure and so am I. So far God is offering more relief than the medical community.

Capture+_2018-09-15-10-15-35.png