Faith and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 85dB T, Sep 13, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To me Chris Langan is saying Heaven exists because our souls are eternal, "nothing in this universe is ever wasted, nothing ceases to exist".

Since all souls are eternal, their essence in the afterlife is determined by the actions of our free will on earth. "We use our free will to create" our destiny.

This from a man with an IQ of 200 and non religious (from what little I know of him).

I found his comments interesting because at the core of my belief is that our soul is given to us from God. That all souls are eternal. And that whether we like it or not, there is no opting out.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Perhaps, but I believe what I said to be true. I do not believe as "science" would like us to, that the Earth was formed 4.6 billion years ago, by collisions in a giant disc shaped cloud of material that also formed the Sun. Then Gravity slowly gathered this gas and dust together into clumps that became asteroids. According to science these objects collided repeatedly and gradually got bigger, building up planets in the Solar System including the Earth. Don't laugh, Science says the details of how the Earth was formed are still being worked out. We have not started on how human beings came about etc. Are yes, we came out of the sea. Science is lies mixed with the truth; just as they want us to believe we are living on ball that rotates.

I rest my case.
      Open your eyes, the truth is right in front of you.
      All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah, explain the fulfillment of the Daniel ch 9 prophecies rationally.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that the living cell spontaneously generated. The DNA which is the base 4 machine code that is used to make the proteins that make the cell, and the cell itself, had to be simultaneously present upon the first iteration. This is statistically impossible. It would make more sense for a bunch of rocks to slide down a hill and form a functioning scientific calculator. We can be friends now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Uncomfortable questions? Um, no. I have no uncomfortable questions. I stay faithful regardless of what life throws at me. I do not blame my faith, for misfortunes and adversity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Debating religion will never get anyone anywhere because nobody wins. This has been proven throughout history with all the wars, and the forever changing gods and belief systems.

There’s nothing wrong with debating it and I think everyone has the right to an opinion and a belief. Without free speech we are reduced to being nothing more than repressed puppets, bumbling along through life with no thoughts of our own.

My opinion on the matter cannot be summed up any better than Ricky Gervais in this video.

Ricky Gervais And Stephen Go Head-To-Head On...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The topic "Faith and Tinnitus" was chosen for those who consider suicide to be a solution for tinnitus.

Faith in God teaches this would be a tragic mistake. There is meaning and value in suffering. Life must be preserved to its natural end. No matter the misery, life is still a privilege.

• Like Like x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It looks like it's the religiosity index that has been tumbling for decades (this is America only, but what I saw from other stats worldwide wasn't much different):
      Religiosity-Graph1.png

For anyone interested in more stats, there's a lot of data over at http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/belief-in-god/

The "Trends" tab in the first dataset is fairly telling.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

Michael, aren’t you a flat earth believer? When one believes that, I must admit, I think they lose all credibility in their ability to understand science and the world. It is an indisputable fact that the earth is a sphere. You can replicate many experiments today; one notable one is to calculate the length of shadows between two objects, as long as you know the distance between them. Eratosthenes figured this out over 2000 years ago using nothing but sticks and maths. There’s also the fact that we can see further from higher ground, and there’s so many other ways of proving it. I think it’s a bit embarrassing when someone says they believe the earth is flat because they got duped by some absolutely awful YouTube videos. The science in those things is shocking beyond all belief.

However, that said, we are still free to believe whatever we want, because if I was to force my opinion that the world is spherical onto you, it would serve no higher purpose. I wouldn’t gain anything from it. One interesting question, though, that stems from this, is do you believe in maths? I say this because you can’t believe in both. In this instance they completely contradict each other. For me, science and maths are about finding truths.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It depends on which other countries… in China and parts of Africa and South America the church (and church attendance) is growing.

11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Stop sniffing the cheeto dust, i never said I was a Christian. Even if I am, I wouldn't care about calling out a pseudo intellect for what he is. You're insulting and pathetic, not to mention horribly misinformed. Your primary defense is : oh don't you dare call out my hypocrisy because your religion says you have to be nice to me. Please, most of your posts are negative and passively attacking other people's beliefs, calling people sheep because they believe in God. You then cower behind the illusion of peaceful dissent when called out. You're just a sad and negative person

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Ay, girl with the mild tinnitus, tone it down a notch. It's one thing to defend your beliefs, it's another to insult a member on here. You are crossing a line. Look within and ask yourself why you're feeling the need to lash out and to put another person down. People who struggle need the most compassion. Find the peace and security within yourself and within your beliefs again. You don't need to insult someone to defend your beliefs. Either state your opinion calmy but firmly or step away and take a deep breath. Your post isn't spreading positivity, peace, and kindness either.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    13. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Of course John.
      Friends always I hope.

As to explaining rationally the fulfilment of the prophesies of Daniel chapter 9, no chance:

a) I don’t have the patience to read through it,
      b) I am not a theologian,
      c) I am not particularly academic, though I do claim to have a brain, of sorts,
      (some might disagree?)
      d) My talent lies in being an intuitive jazz musician (ie. my head is firmly ensconced up my proverbial arse!
      (Ed209 would doubtless understand.)

On a more practical level, I have started on the CBD oil, and turmeric regime.
      Best
      Dave x
      (who is not all nasty - despite current evaluations)
      Jazzer - as was.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me, God is the author and power behind physics and math. These are the things used to order our universe, the cells of our body and the structure of atoms.

How is something created from nothing without a prime mover being the creator?

You believe in creation because you observe it with your five senses. Faith is required to believe in the creator.

15. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I do not appreciate seeing religious indoctrination on a message board such as this. If you want to believe that suffering is part of a divine plan, that's fine, but it is not what this board is about.

The subject of suicide is not permitted to be discussed on most medical boards I've seen. I would like to see TT enact a ruling to this effect. A sticky with the suicide hotline phone numbers would be enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Don't even bother to let the negative people bring you down, you know who you are... That's all that matters :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Leave Dave alone. He’s a superb member and helps many sufferers on here. I think you’ve gone way overboard in your post and it was uncalled for. If this is what debating organised religion turns people into then I can see why people are turning away from it. Having read Daves story I can fully understand why he feels the way he does and why he is so outspoken. There’s no need to try and silence him; there’s more need to show him compassion in regards to his terrible upbringing around religion.

I’m not knocking anyone who believes, I actually envy you all in a way. You have a faith that provides you comfort in your darkest hours which can only be a good thing. Unfortunately that’s not everybody’s experience.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
    18. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Nah :)
      I respect you so I won't argue, I would've preferred if he didn't bother to respond to any of my posts. I don't know him and don't know his history (plus I don't really care), I never bother to reply to any of his tirades unless he tried to respond to mine.

19. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Spoken like a truly compassionate person that has found the light and peace within themselves and around them. :)

Edit: That's still one of the most ironic things to me, that a religious person that talks so much about positivity then can't take any criticism and lashes out so easily. But maybe you're just showing your true colors.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

re."You have a faith that provides you comfort in your darkest hours which can only be a good thing."

Yes! Thank you

re."Unfortunately that’s not everybody’s experience."

But can be!

Faith in God is the greatest help for tinnitus sufferers. Unfortunately it took T to bring me closer to him.

The hour of death I prepare for daily, but on His terms not mine.

21. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Whatever you say bruh

22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’m getting outta here! :LOL: This thread’s about to go crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Er........where to start ??
      * sniffing the Cheeto dust,
      * pseudo intellectual,
      * insulting and pathetic,
      * horribly misinformed,
      * negative and passively attacking,
      * cowering behind an illusion,
      * sad and negative.... etc....

I truly enjoyed your post coffee, excuse the familiarity, you are truly magnificent when riled.
      In your chosen quise as
      Mrs Nicelady / Agony Aunt / Keeper of the faith, you can be pretty entertaining once wound up.
      You clearly brook no opposition to your precious self-image which makes you a cinch for somebody like me.
      However, I completely forgive you for your diatribe - but you really must try a little harder in the future though honey!
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ed209

I have never said that I am a flat earth believer. I have an open mind on the subject but I believe so called "science" is lies mixed with the truth.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just one brief note to all on this thread including coffee.
      I love words - I love ideas, concepts, and particularly words.
      I also love people - you lot.
      I love mucking about and trying to get my thoughts in some kind of order.

All pretty innocuous stuff I think really, but I must in all honesty admit to one teensy-weensy fault - I am possessor of a wicked sense of humour - and when it logs in, I can’t resist it.
      Don’t blame me for my sense of humour though,
      presumably it was god given!

I love you all,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

PS - I am also a very ‘smooth talking bastard!’

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      St. Irenaeus debated against the Gnostics and successfully stopped Christianity from becoming a secret society. That's a pretty big win.

The reformers such as Jan Hus, John Wycliffe, and Martin Luther debated against the Papists which eventually paved the way for an end to Papal hegemony and the beginning of the concept of religious freedom in Europe. That's a pretty big win too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      Think it's statistically impossible abiogenesis to happen? Try primordial soup and protocells, billions of years of random movement and the unimaginable size of the universe. I'd be surprised if there aren't hundreds of other planets with life on them.
      Think it makes more sense that a spiritual being that defies all known laws of the universe created life? Try Occam's Razor.
      Think the fact that we have free will proves the existence of a god? Try chaos theory and quantum mechanics.
      If you think that god is behind all math and physics, why not just call it math and physics?
      If you think god is a being beyond space and time then maybe he is a 4th dimensional being. There's no reason to turn to spirituality.
      Think atheists can't be happy? Who's got two thumbs and a smile on his face? This guy.

Religion exists because of human suffering. That's why it's on the decline in USA, our standard of living is very high. I have no doubt that if a bunch more bad things happened to me, I would eventually turn to religion, it would be the only way to justify living and survival is a basic instinct. Any miracle would work as well.

I also think humanity requires something to tie our morals to and religion works very well for that. I think most of the good in this world can be attributed to religion. So if god equals goodness then sure I believe in god. If heaven equals the beautiful world we have made out of earth then sure I believe in heaven.

I'm just trying to argue my opinions, I'm trying not to be offensive.

There is no afterlife. You all can tell me I'm wrong when we're all dead... oh wait...

• Like Like x 3
    28. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Being a Christian, I want to say a few words for @Jazzer .
      He is an extremely nice person
      who loves music, who has a sense of humor, who loves his cats and family.

He is old but he has a young heart like child.
      Don't be offended by his way of joking.

When we Christians say - God is love in Greek... it is AGAPE kind of love
      which means ... no matter what... God still love him/her.
      I encourage all of us love and support each other (believing in God or not)
      while our T ruthlessly bothering u
      s.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You truly are a Christia Rob,
      with a clear view of humanity,