Familial Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samantha R, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus for around 3 months.

I found out when telling my youngest sister that I had tinnitus, that she has had it for 5.5 years. She never told anyone in the family. She didn't think we would understand. Her tinnitus is idiopathic like mine, came on 9 months after my nephew was born (this may be relevant as mine came on 3 weeks post partum with twins). Her tinnitus is bilateral, has normal hearing on audiogram, she's never been one for nightclubs and pubs.

It was intrusive for her, she went through the same initial crisis, depression and anxiety and inspiringly for me, leads a normal and productive life now.

My dad has unilateral tinnitus - his left ear. He had some hearing loss in that ear.

I'm just curious but haven't really found anything where tinnitus might be 'in the family'. It could just be an unfortunate coincidence of course.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I also have bad feeling about my family disposition. My father had severe hearing loss (caused by noisy work environment - never used protection). Some of our oldest family members have hearing loss. Of course it is age related, but seems to be above-average to me, as they lived whole life at quiet place, countryside, so...

I've asked my brother and mom to go for audiograms to get some hint. But they didn't yet. They just don't care...

3. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I also wonder if tinnitus can be a hereditary condition. My mother and nan both have tinnitus and it presents seemingly the same way mine does in that it's a head buzz/hiss along with the same in the ears. I have always wondered if I got it because I was going to because of genes or it really is my own doing and I just sped the process up with earphones etc. I guess we will never know. o_O

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. Loui

Loui Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      According to scientist Christopher Cederroth, some forms of tinnitus seems to be hereditary:

Bilateral Tinnitus Can Be Hereditary

My dad and grandma have tinnitus. I wish they had told me before I got it. I don't think we should blame ourselves too harshly for getting this affliction.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Interesting question. Both my parents have passed. My mother told me she had mild tinnitus that she could only hear at night. She thinks it may have been caused by cancer drugs. My dad, on the other hand, worked in a factory, ran a chain saw and did little to nothing to protect his ears. He had normal hearing loss for his age and no tinnitus. He passed at 78. My tinnitus currently ranges from mild to moderately severe. Depends on the day.