FDA Approves Drug for Dogs with Fear Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by lymebite, Dec 5, 2018.

1. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    2. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      So I'll get a dog...

Weird how this Pexion is originally an anti-epilepsy drug, just like manymany other drugs used to treat tinnitus/hyperacusis!!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      i do not believe this has to do with the same mechanisms of hyperacusis with pain, how does it work?

4. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      "The Food and Drug Administration has approved an anti-epileptic drug, Pexion, to treat dogs freaked out by noises.

The drug is already approved for use in treating epilepsy. Known generically as imepitoin, the drug is similar to Valium and other benzodiazepines but works in a different way to treat noise aversion. Other seizure drugs, such as gabapentin, can also treat some types of anxiety.

The drug was originally developed to treat epilepsy in people but it had some troubling effects on metabolism so was never brought to market for use in humans."

Edit: No idea whether dogs have actual pain-hyperacusis / loudness-hyperacusis, but I think it's interesting that an anti-epileptic drug works.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    5. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I always thought The Supervet could treat me better than any doctor I have seen for my tinnitus.