Fed Up... Anybody Else Thinking About Ending It All?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Stink, Mar 5, 2015.

?

Have You Seriously Thought About Suicide?

1. I Have

2. I Have Not

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Philip Awesome post, thank you.

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      There's no study referenced in that thread, just a graph.
      The "survey" in this thread is meaningless if you want to generalize outside of people who chose to respond to this thread.

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Thanks for the link, I missed it the first time. Will try to look at the paper in the next few days.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. A survey in a thread like this is at best a random sample of people who read the thread - and even this is a stretch as the respondents will still choose whether to respond or not (i.e., self select into response) Therefore the results are dependent on the population that actually chooses to respond. In other words, you have a highly selected sample of people who chose to respond to this thread. That sample is not generally representative of any other population. It's likely that people who have thought about "ending it all" will be more likely to respond to the thread than others. Thus any estimate of that proportion is biased in relation to the proportion among the broader population to people with tinnitus - or even of TT members.

As I said, this is a highly non-random sample. Moreover, the greater the sample size, the more precise the result. In this case due to non-random sample selection, the result of this sample will never be an "accurate" representation of the broader population.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Equalizer, I agree that noise is worse than pain. I have both atm and wonder if they are related.

5. devilinthedust

devilinthedust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise exposure
      Thought about it, yes. I think most people have at one time or another. Will I ever do it, never. I will fight this evil monster til the day I die, and that day will not come by my own hand. My life has changed in some respects, like everybody else here, but I'm still a blessed man. So many others, with or without T, that have it worse than me. I think we look too much at the things we have lost, and not at the things we can still do. It might help to make a list of each and compare them. I can say with absolute certainity your list of things you can still do will be longer than the list of things you can't.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sebastien D

Sebastien D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Suicide is a strange thing to think about for me. Partly because I haven't exactly had the best life so far. In fact I sometimes even consider myself cursed. Partly because I've had a near death experience in the past and well... it wasn't that bad. It felt like falling asleep. So now when I want to give up on life I almost like the thought and that scares me.

Yes I know the journey to the other side can be pleasant but I still have no idea what waits for me there. Could be better. Could be worse. I don't know if my family would care if I died. We've never been close. I don't know if any of my old friends would care if I died. They weren't good people.

What I do know is that when I was 4 years old my mother died of cancer. She fought tooth and nail till the end. Kept her pride and dignity the whole time. I can't do anything less. I also know there's at least one person that would weep for me and she's already been threw so many terrible times. I can't do that to her. I don't want to die thinking I've accomplished nothing but hurt someone I love. I don't want to spend my last moment weeping at how weak and pathetic I can be. I've had it rough so far. I've never smiled much. I at least want to be at peace when the fight's finally over.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you will begin to experience what you had been experiencing between the time the universe began to exist and the time of your birth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      That is a big unknown, a very, very big unknown. Our brains can never comprehend many things in the universe including afterlife. I was a lot more religious before my noise is all I can say. No doubt the Bible exists though. Why do we have to suffer?

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If we don't use Occam's Razor, then all sorts of things are possible.

• Agree Agree x 1