Firecrackers, Fireworks & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robb, Dec 31, 2014.

1. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I guess the advantage is that there as far as I know there is really not a custom to throw firecrackers for NYE in the US, like it is for the 4th of July. Whereas is parts of Europe and some other places there are firecrackers thrown not just for NYE but the who of December and stretches even into January. It's total chaos and noone does anything, until they themselves get tinnitus or hearing loss, but by then it is too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Well more bad luck today. I got attacked by a store alarm while I was standing near the exit, so that was not fun.

But even worse, an hour ago I was just getting out of my car and another firecracker went off again, even though we're way past the new year's celebrations. So here I am freaking out again. I'm far more worried about the firecracker noise, store alarms can be loud but not that loud, while firecrackers are obviously very loud. I just have such bad luck it's almost incredible. It's always in the few seconds that I'm getting from my car to somewhere or the other way around. Why are people so evil?

3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know how you feel. I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time too. Loud noises also make me really anxious after I've been exposed to them and my T always gets worse for a few days. I've had store fire alarms, young kids suddenly scream in my ears, ambulance sirens, a whole pallet of glassware at work smash on the hard floor right to me,etc. Always wrong place wrong time. But what can we do. Living everyday life with T is just harder work and so many setbacks with it. Right now my T sounds like I've just got back from a heavy metal concert where my ears had been pressed against the speakers for hours but I've only been at home with my family. It makes no sense. I have so many sounds now and it's so loud, its driving me crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It's always liek that for me, I constantly think like if only I'd arrived one second earlier or on second later it wouldn't have happened. Or lie if only I'd have my hearing protection on, if only something...
      But I guess that's not very productive, once can't really change history.

5. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      I had a loud one go off 5m from my head while walking home from work on NYE. It would have certainly caused some damage.

I worried about it spiking my T, when I worried about it, it did spike my T. But I'm over that now, doesn't seem to have affected my T in the long run.

6. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      These people in my neighborhood are insane. Someone threw a firecracker just near my window while it was open. I was eating and all of a sudden this loud crack out of nowhere. And this is a Saturday, mid day in August. Nothing to celebrate, just someone being a complete asshole. And now I'm worried it will affect my T or my hearing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      One of the issues with having T is the constant worries it will get worse. Every now and then there will be loud noise exposure due to things that were hard to predict.

You will know where things stand with your T after a few weeks. Consider what can be done to prevent further incidents. Me, I don't leave the house without eraplugs, and if people were throwing firecrackers in my neighbourhood, I'd consider wearing earmuffs inside. Whatever, as long as I can be free from another moment of "Will my T ger worse now?"

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's really sucks. I too fear making it worse, but I have been trying to go out in public unplugged more and more. Wearing ear plugs all the time is almost as bad because it makes my tinnitus scream. But when I go without I feel bombarded with loud noises.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! Let's enjoy fireworks with hearing protection

10. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Tyler Montgomery
      Spaced

Tyler Montgomery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum from hard blow to the head.
      It is highly unlikely that it did anything to spike your T. Your anxiety from worrying about whether or not your T is louder, is probably why you are perceiving it as louder.

12. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Fireworks caused my initial bout of Tinnitus back in 2010. It took 3 months to subside (seems I was lucky that time). Before that event I never heard of Tinnitus and I didn't develop the anxiety for it until I read about it later on the internet ("it is permanent" and all the doom and gloom stories).

I can certainly understand the anxiety for fireworks in people who already have or have experienced Tinnitus before. One single fireworks cracker was all it took to cause 3 months of agony for me. Fireworks can cause or worsen existing noise-induced Tinnitus.

13. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      And I thought the Swedish would be calm people, fond of silence ;-)

14. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      The old Swedes are, not the new Swedes ;-)

• Like Like x 2
    15. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      A family friend got tinnitus from fireworks this year, hasn't still gone away.

I wonder how many people all over?

16. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Many people get damaged because of fireworks or firing arms. These are typical examples of one off noises that can damage hearing for life. Because damage is cumulative, some people will think "oh, but I used to go hunting without hearing protection and was always fine".. that's just until the day the same noise that only gave them temporary T or deafened them for a couple of hours does permanent and irreversible damage.

Firecrackers are also very dangerous. Every year there are accidents, and people lose fingers, hands, even some people die because of unexpected explosions of places where fireworks and firecrackers are stored or sold (there was a major accident very recently in Mexico). Also, some people put firecrackers inside glass bottles and do stupid stuff like that, causing accidents.

17. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it should be forbidden like it is in a lot of other countries. It is little better than bombs nowadays really.

I would opt for organised fireworks by municipalities instead; the quality of the fireworks is often much better in such cases and the dangers and costs to society because of injuries, not only to oneself, but (even worse) also to others who didn't even ask for it will be greatly reduced. One can then choose to watch the fireworks or not, or stay away from it altogether (H patients would be greatly relieved by such option I'm sure).

It is actually strange that firearms are forbidden in a lot of European countries, but fireworks are not. Fireworks are able to cause just as much or even more damage than firearms (in a greater radius). In Holland we once had the fireworks-disaster in the city of Enschede; it kind of levelled a whole neighbourhood down to the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enschede_fireworks_disaster

If that doesn't speak for the danger of fireworks, I do not know what does. Then again, a lot of laws do not make sense.

18. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Ok, some idiot just started firing a set of ground firecrackers from the next yard. I'd say those were the ones 120 dB - 130 dB at max. I was sitting close to the window and then this lol It seems like I'll never even get the chance to recover

Is there anywhere on the internet a chart showing how the explosiveness of the sound wave decreases over a distance?? I'd say I was probably about 20 m away from the 'boom'. Or anybody knows how to calculate that?

The last thing I need now is a new tinnitus spike or a new squaky eeeeee sound in my head :banghead:

19. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      For real, anybody knowledgeable about the subject on here? Or should I just call Sheldon Cooper?