First Spike in 2 Years — After Neighbor Cranked His Stereo Really Loud

Discussion in 'Support' started by AxlRose, Jan 2, 2019.

1. AxlRose
      Crappy

AxlRose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I got tinnitus 2.5 years ago from a concert with no earplugs.

It wasn't horrible, I could mostly only hear it in a quiet room. I was really upset about it for a long time, but I eventually habituated and it almost never bothered me. I was always really careful to wear earplugs and avoid loud noises.

13 days ago I was helping a neighbor move and he decided to "show me how loud his stereo could go". he cranked the music really loud and I plugged my ears and told him he needed to turn it down. He did, but maybe not enough. 2 days later during Christmas there was a very loud crying baby that didn't help matters either.

Since then my tinnitus has spiked. I can now hear it when watching TV. I'm trying to be positive and tell myself it will go down again, or it's just loud because I'm freaking out about it. I've spent alot of time listening to it and trying to compare it to the sound it used to be. I had a cold like symptoms afterwards as well, with sinus drainage. My ear has also been sore since then as well, but seems to be getting better on the pain front.

But deep down, I feel like I'm fooling myself, and despite all my best efforts over the past 2 years my worst fears are coming true and my tinnitus is worse permanently.

Is it possible this is temporary even after 13 days? Or do I need to learn to live with this new, louder tinnitus and be petrified it's going to get worse.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Please check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      Among other information that you might find useful, you will see

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I routinely get spikes that last a few days or even 2-3 weeks from slammed doors, overwork, or just plain bad luck. I even get whole new tones that then go away. It is hell on Earth every time but so far I either went back to baseline or adapted every single time and I've been in the T business for decades.

You might want to take this as a sign and get some custom-molded earplugs made that you can wear in any situation that can plausibly be dangerous. It might save your bacon next time, and you'll feel you are actively doing something about the T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. LAnative
      Fine

LAnative Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I had a spike from a concert. It gradually got louder over two weeks. At week 5 it started coming down and is 80% back to baseline.
      Hang in there, you'll be good in a few weeks!

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @AxlRose
      Your neighbor is a moron, and sorry you got this inflicted on you. I realize that many of us, myself included, are one loud noise away from total T misery.

Need to super protect for the time being from additional noise damage, and give it a chance to calm down. Most of these spikes, as confirmed above are temporary. Make sure you have comfortable hearing protection, and use it sensibly.

You recovered once, and most likely will do it again.

• Agree Agree x 1