First Time Flying

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandra72, Sep 25, 2017.

1. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Saturday I am going to fly for the first time with tinnitus.

I am very anxious. Not only about my ears but also about flying. It is my second time in my life and I don't like it at all.

But now for my ears. What can I do? Does earplugs help? Must I wear headphones?

I am sitting in front of the wings.

Thank you.

2. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      I used earplugs last time we flew it helped. Once the plane reached altitude the noise of the engine got quieter. I had to unplug my ears due to the cabin pressure. It didn't change my T stayed the same high pitch

3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Had a flight couple of weeks ago, had earplugs in all the time and it was great, no spike in T at all. It was a mandatory flight for my job but Ive already booked a new flight in a couple of weeks to go on holiday so trust me, it won't harm your ears :)

Just wear plugs or muffs/noise cancelling headphones.

• Like Like x 1
    4. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Flying is no issue for your ears. I fly 20+ every year many of these trips are Oslo - Bangkok 12 hours flights. The drop in pressure is miniscule. Just buy som gum that you can use for your sinuses on the way up.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you have hyperacusis earplugs or earmuffs are helpful. You are in front of engines so providing it's not a small airplane it shouldn't be that loud. During takeoff and landing you can open wide and wiggle your jaw around.
      Another technique I learned while scuba diving is to push your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

You'll be fine.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Headphones and tinnitus are not a good idea Sandra. Using them you're just asking for trouble especially if your tinnitus was caused by loud noise. Some of the advice on this thread is very good and I suggest you follow it. Try not to worry about the flight you'll be fine.

Michael

7. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Don't be afraid. I have flown several times since my Tinnitus became a problem... without any issues.

Just basic advise:

a) If you have the flu or sinus infection, be sure to clean up your eustachian tubes before the flight.

b) Engine sounds, in my opinion, will not damage your ears, but in long travels it can be annoying and irritate your ears, so you can use earplugs.

c) You can get a pair of airplane earplugs, those help your ears to equalize pressure.

Have a nice trip!!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I just purchased noise cancelling headphones for an upcoming flight. From what members have posted on other threads, NC headphones are not a must but can be helpful.

I also have Earplanes earplugs. Tried them out and they seem pretty comfortable -- I bought kid size since my ears are small.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      So you advice is not the wear them? I want to watch a movie or listen to music.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If your tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise, I don't advise that you use headphones even at low volume. Although some people with tinnitus which was caused by noise exposure, use headphones without any adverse effects, it is something that I don't advise. If you intend using them keep the volume as low as possible. However, I must stress I don't think it's a good idea. Some people are quick to disagree with me but please remember, if your tinnitus becomes more intrusive, you are on your own. Please click on the link below and read my post.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-and-tinnitus.12062/

11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Do you mean on the flight or in general? Using headphones on low volume to watch a movie or listen to music on a flight should be okay. I mean, you are already on an airplane with steady engine noise. For me, I want to break up the constant, rhythmic sound from the engines. It's like my tinnitus latches on to those kind of noises and considers it a competition to be louder. I'm planning to play white noise softly on my flight.

• Like Like x 1
    12. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Flying has no effect on my tinnitus.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Thank you.

just had a checkup at the doctor today and he saw some old fluid behind my eardrum.
      He told me to use nose spray. I have a full sensation in my ear en somethimes a little bit of pain.
      Just worrie to fly now.

14. Doga
      Tired

Doga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Dude I fly 4-5 days a week and it does not affect my tinnitus. But, stress might cause an increase. So, relax enjoy the sky you deserve it :).

For your ears, there are special earplugs to balance the air pressure. They will surely comfort you.