Flying & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by rogerg, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Has flying worsened your tinnitus?

1. Yes, temporarily

2. Yes, permanently

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Sup people,

I have Tinnitus for about 4 months now caused by either a nightclub or a slight ear infection caused by a slight cold. Since then my Tinnitus has decreased probably by 40%-60% which leads me to think that it's probably temporary. If my Tinnitus is temporary(which I think and hope it is), the nerves in my ears are taking ages to heal and I'm flying to the U.S on holidays soon, and I'm wondering, if the nerves in my ears are still healing, can flying make my Tinnitus worse or stop its healing process?

P.S Thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      In my case i did not feel any difference in T, but i would experience lots of ear popping due to pressure. More then when I did not have T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have had T for some time now and flown many times....no issues. Sometime they can be loud depending on what part of plane you are sitting in but you can always bring ear plugs or noise canceling headphones just in case. Shouldn't cause it to get worse and you will be fine. Even if you do have an increase it would most likely be a temporary spike. Don't let anyone scare you. Millions fly with T every year and are fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Just make sure youre not congested or have any sinus issues going on or it COULD worsen your T.
      If youre upper respiratory is free and clear then your clear for take off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      For the majority of people, flying is not a problem for t. Many use earplanes earplugs for ascent and descent, plus active noise cancellation headphones during the flight. If t spikes from the flight, this is usually temporary.
      However, for me and a handful of other people I have talked with, flying made t worse, and has stayed that way over a period of months. Not sure if it was the noise or the air pressure changes, even with the use of those devices above.
      For us, t is now louder in general, and t is louder in the morning upon waking, whereas before the flight it was quietest in the mornings.
      I believe it was the change in air pressure that caused this change in t behavior.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply Erik.
      But what if my Tinnitus is healing, do you think this could stop its healing process?

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Floyd, you should be fine. If you search this thread, you will see I have posted a lot about flying and tinnitus, as a plane flight caused my T. You can follow my protocol, although its more than you really need to do. Most important thing is: don't think having tinnitus grounds you for life. It does not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you very much for the reply, but I'm just concerned if flying will stop my Tinnitus' healing process as I believe that it is slowly going. Do you think flying could stop its' healing process if it is temporary?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Floyd I do think your T could be related to your boxing career.....;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thank you very much for the reply, but I'm just concerned if flying will stop my Tinnitus' healing process as I believe that it is slowly going. Do you think flying could stop its' healing process if it is temporary?

Hi, @Floyd Mayweather: This probably is a better question for a doctor. Maybe you can post to Dr. Nagler in Doctor's Corner. Also, have you asked your own doctor this question?

I first flew about six months after my initial tinnitus onset. My doctor worked with me on the protocol mentioned above in the thread and told me I should be fine. I was. My guess is you will be, too. If you are extra nervous, have the ENT check you out before you go to make sure you don't have any sinus/respiratory infections, have a tympanic test to check your ear's response to pressure (This is kind of overkill, but may give you peace of mind. It did me). Also, buy Ear Planes and use them as I explain in the protocol. And bring noise canceling headphones to protect your ears from the noise. It helps if you can avoid sitting in the back of the plane, which is noisier (although not nearly as noisy as a nightclub). And keep your mouth open on descent, especially because you will be on a long flight. All is described in the protocol.

My personal feeling is: Not flying probably will hurt you more than flying, as you are giving into fear and letting tinnitus get the upper hand. But again, I am not a doctor. I really do hope you take your holiday and have a wonderful time. Let me know how it goes! I felt like I was soaring after I took my first flight after T and realized I was OK.

11. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LMAO!! :LOL:

12. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As long as you don't have a cold or a situation where your eustachian tubes are blocked you should be fine. I always wear ear protection on takeoff and landing.........

and by the way when are you going to fight Manny Pacquiao?......the world is waiting

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the advice. You've been very helpful. I appreciate it :)

14. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha, I will fight Pacquiao for my very last match. Make sure you stream the PPV cause I will make it very boring like most my matches are :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please let him hit just a few times like Mosley did so I get my moneys worth.....

God Bless!

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha, are you a boxing fan, and more importantly, a fan of me?

17. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Of course your the best.....basically unbeatable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why thank you very much kind fan. It's easy to be the best when I have the judges and the referee to protect me as seen in my last two fights. If the judges didn't save me in my first match with Maidana, and if the referee didn't protect me in the rematch, I would have two losses on my record now, but thank God they are there to protect me :) LOL

• Like Like x 1
    19. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I even remember when your hand hit the canvas against Zab Judah and the ref conveniently missed it. Well "money" sure has a lot of clout when it comes to your perfect career. I love how you were able to avoid Manny all those years with the blood test steroid scam you perpetuated.........by the way how about a few million to some Tinnitus research?....now their is an idea!

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Floyd voice) I have a secret I must confess. I actually spent way too much money on spoiling all those gold digging zombies that follow me around everywhere, which left me almost completely broke. Not only that, my ex-fiance Miss Jackson, who is just one of the many gold diggers I have dated is sueing me for the rest of my bank account so I'm pretty much broke, so that is why I cannot fund anyone money for Tinnitus research. But that's okay because like I said before, it come with the territory. hehehe... :p

• Like Like x 1
    21. Dustydom

Dustydom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I recently flew from Korea to the UK, not a direct flight. I didn't notice any real change in my tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Grrr!
      Gloomy

Grrr! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012?
      I too wonder about about noise canceling earphones or earplugs. When my bad ear is exposed to the world my T is less pronounced. When I cover it the T becomes a working bulldozer 1' away from me. :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi All..

Just my 2 cents experience on flying with T…

In the last two months and a half I had to take 16 short-haul flights (maximum flight about 2:30 hours) and I never had any change on my ringing tone.

I just feel I cannot equalize as good as I used to and I do get a slight pain on descent on my ears, but it goes away as soon as I equalize..

So, on my experience, flying does not mess with my ever present T…

Best of luck to you all !

Lorenzo

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      My t was v v quiet after 11 months , and I was very hopeful that it just may fade away, then I made the stupid mistake of going on a very long flight 18 hours and then back home in a months time another 18 hours. T was back again with a vengeance, it's been 6 months now.....getting better again.

25. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      What's the best advice someone can give me for a 24 hour flight?

Chewing gum I guess? What about when the plane lands my ears go mad :(

26. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I used noise cancelling headphones, my seat was at the front , engine sound is louder at the back.
      If you have a cold do not fly. Some people use something called 'earplanes ' they say it helped them.

27. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Be safe and use the gold. I use them and they are great.

28. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      For flying?

29. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hi everyone,

Are there any members here that have experience in flying with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis? Does flying worsen it or should I not be worried?

Has anyone flown flights of over 10 hours with Tinnitus? How did it go?

Should I take precautions?

Thank you for your feedback.

30. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi JohnDoe, a year back I went on a 18 hour flight, and back home again after a month , another 18 hours.
      My t was v v low before the flight, and I would,d get long moments of silence too specially in the mornings when I woke up after a good night's sleep. T went crazy after the flights, I wore ear plugs and earplanes throughout the flight. Also my seats were in the front of the plane so there was less engine noise. It's the air pressure, that's really damaging. T is beginning to get better now . I had to habituate all over again.
      However there are people who's t doesn't get affected at all by flying.

• Funny Funny x 1