Flying with Ear Fullness/Clogged Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ngo13, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      I recently got a new job and have to go on a flight for a work trip next month.

I've had tinnitus and clogged ears/fullness for almost 7 months from a one-time acoustic trauma.

I know I'll need airplane earplugs/earmuffs, but I am very worried about my clogged ears and the pressure. I can somewhat relieve the pressure in my ears but they never fully pop and they've been that way since onset.

Is there anything I can do for them to help with the flight? Has anyone flown with ear fullness and been ok?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can you equalize your ears by yawning etc? If so, you should be fine. You can take a decongestant and use Afrin before flying if you are worried about it.

You can also gently pull on your earlobe while yawning to help open up your Eustachian tubes.

I use normal foam earplugs and noise cancelling headphones when I fly.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can relieve some of the pressure but it doesn't completely go away.

Maybe I will try the Afrin, thank you.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just an update for anyone who might see this thread in the future.

I went on the flights and they didn't affect my tinnitus or my clogged ears. I can't take decongestants or anything due to the fact that I'm currently a nursing mother, but I did use EarPlanes for taking off/landing and Earasers (max filter) during the flight. It was a little loud at times (measured between 75-85 dB on my phone) but I managed. If they were longer flights I would have used foam earplugs. I made sure to chew gum and released the pressure in my ears a lot during take off/landing.

• Like Like x 2