Flying with New Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wendy A, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi
      only had T for 5 weeks and its all over the place at the moment ,one of my worries is i have a holiday booked in 3 weeks and its a 4 hour flight,will this make it worse? i was so looking forward to it now im so scared i cant imagine going but its a family holiday ?? anyone fly so early on? thanks in advance for any help.

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      It seems that flying is harmless from what I have seen on the board ?
      Then again I havent taken a flight since this started.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks for the reply,its hard i dont want to not go and have my son and husband go with out me but i also dont want to make this new T worse.

4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Wendy A
      I actually booked a flight to Florida just to see if I'm ok to fly. RaZaH is correct tho I've checked and read all over this forum and haven't found many if any negative reactions to flying. Go ahead and enjoy your vacation with your family I'm sure you'll be ok.

Carlos

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have flown many times with T. Doesn't affect my T one way or another. Flying can be loud so bring some plugs just in case. I don't think twice about wearing them if I need to, but usually I haven't needed to.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks ,i guess its because its still new and very hard,changing noises and adding more noises all the time etc,and i worry a flight will make it even more harder to deal with,this is hard to live with hey?

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Ya, bring some earplane ear plugs. They protect and equalize the air pressure better. Bring a nasal spray just in case your nose get congested and plugged and you have trouble to equalize the pressure changes. I have traveled extensively also since my T with some long inter-continental flights. My T didn't get worse except one time I had a bad cold with congested nose and had no nasal spray. I had trouble popping the ear drums and I felt pain. T shot up of course. My hearing was like in a cocoon for a few days afterwards but it got back to normal afterwards and T was back to baseline. So do bring nasal spray or decongestant just in case. If you search TT with 'flying' you will see many threads on this subject. If it makes you feel calmer about flying after tinnitus, here is Aaron's success story after T about his travel around the world with some fantastic photos:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/who-said-our-life-is-all-about-tinnitus-i-share-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks ,yes thought about earplanes and then in between some headphones, its hard to look forward to something that is terrifying at the same time.

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Lots and lots written about flying and tinnitus here at TT -- including a long post from me. I was very worried about air travel, as barotrauma from a long-distance flight caused my tinnitus. But I flew with an upper respiratory infection, always a bad idea.

I would go. You should be fine. Life is for living.
      Here is my post on what I now do to keep my ears safe on flights -- although you probably would be fine without these precautions:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flying-tinnitus.1001/page-4#post-47628

Also, if you scroll around on this thread, you'll find lots of info and people sharing their experiences.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks Lady Di ,yes i have read them and they seem to be ok, il have to try and pluck up the courage, who would have thought i was talking about a holiday :(

11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I know how you feel, @Wendy A; I was very, very nervous the first time I flew after T. But I have to tell you, it was so freeing to conquer my fears, get on the plane -- and have everything go just fine. I thought I never would be able to travel by air again. My first flight was an important step in reclaiming my life after tinnitus and getting better. So take a deep breath, spread those wings, and fly!

Hugs, LadyDi

• Like Like x 2
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you're not sick with a sinus infection or URI, it should be fine. Just bring earplugs, and pay attention to volume.

13. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      By the way I have a real life encounter with a person (T for 1 year) whose T was gone after the flight.

Not sure how that happens though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Now that would be nice :)

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      By the way I have a real life encounter with a person (T for 1 year) whose T was gone after the flight.
      Not sure how that happens though.

Ha! There is a small part of me that keeps thinking (hoping) that will happen to me. Even friends have said, hey, since you got tinnitus from a plane flight, maybe another flight will make it go away? So far, no go. Guess I gotta just keep flying! :cat:

16. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      To be frank most people I know who got T have their T gone after sometimes. Some months and some years. None is permanent.