Football Game

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynnette, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Football is on the tv...I look around the stadium and the amount of people there screaming and yelling/cheering is unreal...none of these thousands of people must have T. I can't imagine attending something so loud ever again :(

• Like Like x 1
    2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I agree Lynnette, i would never ever go to anything like that... i don't think i can even attend a wedding i'm invited to, i feel sad about that!!!

3. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

I usually do not limit myself but I prefer to be careful use ear plugs that are guaranteed to lower the noise.
      What I am scared most of are actually foods that cause spikes in pitch. Like I ate some sweets and i can tell that it wasn't a good call lol.
      How loud is your T?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      8000hz...whatever that means. I have no idea if it's low, high or mid range. I just know it's loud to me!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Carol, maybe you can just attend the wedding ceremony and not the "after party" as that is most likely to be the loud part. Even I would attend a wedding ceremony with earplugs and believe me a have severe noise phobia. If you haven't already I would get yourself some foam 32db reduction Hearos earplugs on amazon...i have tried many plugs and for me they are the best around and should be more than enough to keep you safe at a standard wedding ceremony.

Rhea x

• Like Like x 1
    6. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I still think if the event is important you should go. Try to protect your
      Ears as well as you can. If you start planning life around tinnitus you
      Will miss many things.

• Like Like x 1
    7. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I went to a professional football game after I got T. I wore my musicians ear plugs 20 decibel filters and I sat in the upper deck. Since it was a regular season game and nowhere close to a sell out it wasn't very loud. The only time it was loud is when Tampa scored and I was at the concession were that stupid cannon shoots. I had my ear plugs in so I didn't get pissed off.

If you were watching the Pats game I didn't think they were too loud. I think the rain subdued the crowd. That low sounding siren they pump through the PA system is annoying.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      So does it pay to get professional ear plugs molded for your ears or just use the disposable ones? Unfortunately this will probably be a lifelong condition.

9. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Lynnette... Yeah I can really relate. I miss dance so much it hurts whenever I think about it or torture myself by looking at an old video out of nostalgia. Football is no loss as I never was into those kind of sports - but same thing. A super noisy environment is DANGER once you have tinnitus and IT CAN go up without protection (or not enough protection). I am walking proof of that fact!!!

However, I see from your (somewhat scant :banhappy: ) profile...that you have only had tinnitus since August 2013. Now don't get me wrong, I know that feels like a long time and it's a lot longer those those people in the videos who just laugh when their ears ring, then it goes away after a short while. Geez, in the military it is 100% normal to be almost deaf from a fire-fight if got caught without ear protection (radio muffs) on for quite some time...even days afterwards. Somehow this is accepted as "OK"!!! A total mystery to me, as my answer would be: "YOU DO NOT WANT THIS CONDITION FULL TIME - TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sigh...but that does not seem to be happening. God knows what the "ipod generation's" hearing and tinnitus rate is going to be when they get older!

So back to you. I use good quality, simple 'accordion type' latex-rubber? earplugs for a few $ and they work better than anything else I have found for "full protection" mode. I can still hear through them but feel totally safe. They are much more protective than Bose Noise-Cancelling earmuffs for hundreds of dollars (a client gave me a pair for present). "Sonic" diaphragm plugs are as good as the Bose for where I want to hear more and cost a fraction of the price, around $12 or $15. I never leave the house without both types in my pocket.

Lastly - "Lifelong"....Maybe. Probably. But not necessarily. Also, adaption is real.

You would not believe what I was doing in November 2012 compared to what I was NOT doing in 2006 after I got a new jump up in tinnitus and the addition of hyepracusis, I was totally unable to be around sound of even the most normal and quiet kind without protection. Gun-to-the-head condition, but I was too much of a wreck to get a gun. Waiting times, forms to fill in, questions to answer...Ha, ha. Can you imagine?!
      "Sir, why do you want to buy a gun?" - "To shoot myself in the head." - "Ha, ha, ha...that's a good one. Ha, ha...but you still have to wait x weeks and do a firing range evaluation with the police department"...."Forget it, I want one now!"..."Sorry sir, can't do that, who knows, you may be looney tune or want to commit suicide or something, and then I would be in unpopular position. It's a family business you know. I have a reputation." ..."Ummm, forget it".

So there is much hope. It takes time...and avoiding football live games, hydrogen balloons blowing up, etc. - in my humble opinion.

Take care... Zimichael

• Like Like x 4
    10. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I just had musicians ear plugs because I use them while DJ'ing. The foam ear plugs would be just fine for this situation, I like the Hearos foam ear plugs. They make a nice tight seal, sometimes the cheaper foamy ear plugs don't expand enough in the ear.

http://www.hearos.com/ear-plug-hearos

• Like Like x 1
    11. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you Rhea, i'll get some of those plugs, i'm just using ones i got from the Chemist, i also am becoming so scared of noise i'm jumping at the smallest little clangs and bangs.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Carol: I truly hope you attend the wedding. We can't let tinnitus run our lives. I think you will be fine with ear plugs, taking breaks outside when the music is playing, etc.

To Lynnette and others who have had tinnitus more than a few months, or anyone who anticipates being in noisy situations often: I would invest in custom plugs with interchangeable filters. Makes all the difference. This site is loaded with suggestions of different brands, types. Just search "ear plugs." You are worth the investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Carol,

I always fell 100% safe with my Hearos in and still find I can hear people talking just loud enough to make out. I know what u mean about jumping at sounds...sometimes the cat creeps up behind my and meows and near on gives me a heart attack! lol x Let us now if you end up going Carol and how it goes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      All of the people at the Football game will have temporary hearing loss, at least. some hair cells will be gone forever. if they keep it they will definitely get permanent hearing loss and tinnitus. studies of sports stadium show insane high levels of noise, and everyone will get "thresh hold shift", at a minimum.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Lady Di thank for the info. Where do I get these custom plugs...and audiologist?

16. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I know this question wasn't directed to me but I can answer your question. You can get them through your audiologist they will fit a mold inside your ear and order the ear plugs for you. Mine are Westone Etymotic ear plugs I have a 15 db and 25db filter. You can even get a 9 db filter which is really nice to use maybe just in a loud chatty area.

I still DJ with tinnitus, I always wear my earplugs typically with a 15 db filter. It's more challenging but I'm getting used to it. It took a year off right after I developed tinnitus.

I will say I don't think you need musician's ear plugs for many social events unless you want earplugs that don't really muffle the music. They are kind of uncomfortable and in social settings people can see them easily.

If you want something not as noticeable either rock out with the Hearos which will give you the most protection or Alpine musician ear plugs. You can cut the foamy ear plug in half, you'll probably only get 12 db of protection or so if you did that. For a wedding reception you only need 9-10 decibel protection anyways.

So if you want a link for the musicians ear plugs here it is.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html

To find an audiologist that will fit you with them click here
      http://www.etymotic.com/dealerlocator/locator_me.html

The ones I would suggest that not many people would notice are these guys (Alpine musicians ear plugs)
      http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing-Protection-MusicSafe-Classic/dp/B0032BYCWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389665802&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine musicians earplugs

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks DT, you got to It before me and did a fine job.
      I also have the Etymotics plugs with the 15 and 25 db filters. You also can get solid 25 db inserts, instead of filters, for greater protection.

I personally don't think the Etymotics are that noticeable but that's just my opinion. Plus, who cares? People who would look down on you for wearing ear plugs when you have a medical condition are people not worth paying attention to.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      LadyDi where did you get the etymotics plugs?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Sorry...I should of read the previous post! Thanks for the info dtdna club!