Football on Saturday — Panicking

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Apr 27, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I'll try to keep this short, but basically, one of the only things left that I enjoy in life is football. With home matches, I sit in the quieter of the stands, so put in my ear plugs and it's fine.

This weekend however, could decide our fate to see if we make the play offs, which could mean we get into the premier league, for anyone who knows what that is will know it's important. I've dreamt of this opportunity for us for over 10 years.

Because of this, I've booked tickets to go.

It will involve 10 hours of driving which I guess ear plugs will be OK.

However, in the away crowd, it will be very noisy, lots of people shouting and chanting. I'm worried even with ear plugs that this might not be good enough protection? I read that a ground nearby recorded over 140db at one of their matches, my 33db won't be good enough!

Am I over thinking? I can't imagine how much damage someone shouting in my ear would do though!

Thanks for any input.

2. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Wear ear muffs on top of the earplugs.

If your tinnitus permanently increases regardless of protection, you have nobody else but yourself to blame for.

I would avoid such loud places.

3. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Hi geg1992, I attended a very loud sports event a couple months ago (Kevin Garnett's return to Minnesota) and wore earplugs. I had a mild spike for about a week that eventually went back down. Your ten hour drive might actually spike your tinnitus more but even with that it could go back down.

Basically I'd say go at your own risk, but most likely you'll be fine.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks marqualler!

I'll probably wear ear plugs whilst driving to avoid any risk there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I once bought some plugs from Sonic Shop in Germany. They seem to work much better than the ones from drug stores. Here is the link to it. You may have to translate to English. The product specifications seem to say up to 50db reduction.

http://www.sonicshop.de/De/Plugs/Cord-Max.asp

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks!

I have hearos Xtreme protection which I've seen recommended lots on here. The minimum rating is 33db but goes above 50db even in the higher frequencies, although I guess shouting is lower frequencies unfortunately.

It's temping to sit in the home end as it will be quieter, but I'd like to celebrate with my own fans if we make it!

7. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      What team is it? I'll root for them on your behalf back in the USA!

It's awesome that you're even thinking of doing it--to me the sound risk is there but if you protect yourself you'll most likely be OK, and the habituation progress you'll make will be even more. That's been my experience at least.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha please do! :)

It's Ipswich Town.

Yeah the thing I worry about is that I'm only quite young so really I shouldn't be taking risks, I'm really having second thoughts!

9. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Best of luck. Im a big fan of Mick McCarthy! He's still held in high regard in Ireland. Steered us to a world cup unbeaten in a group with Holland and Portugal.!!!

And for what its worth, I would hit the game. Be careful, but try and relax. Post back here when everything turns out ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I honestly wouldn't go even if I had a gun pointing at me. Death seems a lot more merciful than exposing T-injured ears to 140 db.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That was just a one off, was loudest ground in the country I think.

Still, it'd be interesting to know how loud they get!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! Haha oh yeah! The thing is though, if we get to the play off final, that will be even louder!

13. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's not like you're in the safe zone just because the volume stays between 110-130 db. But if you insist on going, here are some things that perhaps will minimize the strain on the nerve cellls in your inner ears:

1. Make sure your earplugs are inserted so that they enter the ear channel, or they won't give you the protection the manufacture boasts. I've attached a file on how to do it. Of course, those earplugs won't stay perfectly in place during the whole event, but don't take them out and reinsert them no matter what.

2. Wear something on top of the earplugs. You could go for earmuffs or bose noice cancellation earphones. You'll be needing every extra protection you can get

3. Get n-acetylcysteine. Start taking it a couple of days before the event, and just before it, pop 1-2 mg. Keep eating it a couple of days afterwards.

Even with all this in place, there's of course no guarantee you'll return home without T being worse. Personally, I wouldn't leave my house in the first place.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    14. @geg1992, Ipswich(y), one of the true classic teams that comes to my mind when thinking of English fotball. if Bournemouth could make it there is no stopping Town here.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's great to hear we're actually known in other countries! We just need a draw to secure it, but we always lose against Blackburn which worries me. I'm hoping It will be on TV, then I'll stay at home.

16. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Then what's the point of living?

Good luck on the day, geg! Will keep an eye for the result.