Found Out I Have an Extra Set of Wisdom Teeth Under My Gums. Could This Be a Cause of My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Oct 5, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I knew I had hidden wisdom teeth under my gum but didn't know I had two underneath. I want the tooth that is next to the wisdom teeth on my top left side to be removed. They told me today I need to go to an oral surgeon and it looks like I will probably have to have all three removed. I remember a dentist saying a while back they would need to be removed as one was "growing" into another tooth or something like that. This is the side where the tinnitus is the loudest.

Is it possible my tinnitus could be due to this? When I clinch my jaw, my tinnitus changes.

The other thing I am concerned about though is that if I do have this (or these teeth) pulled, is it possible it could make my tinnitus worse?

It's been stressful this past couple of days unfortunately.

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes.
      Impacted wisdom teeth is a possible cause of tinnitus.
      So you have pressure problems. When you put extra pressure that extra pressure leads to tinnitus. So there is a link between pressure and tinnitus.
      Loosen things up removing thos unnecessary wisdom teeth, i would say.

You should have only benefits if you do not open your mouth in a way that could damage your temporo-mandibular joint, over stretching can cause inflammation and that can cause pressure on ear and tinnitus.

Be very careful how you open the mouth.

Your doctor must be very careful too.

If he is a good doctor you should be ok.

A good doctor knows about these things and knows how to proceed.

Good luck!

Waiting for the good news that the surgery went ok and your tinnitus lowered!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks so much Dana!!! :) :huganimation:

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey @Dana I had my wisdom teeth pulled Monday morning. Today is Saturday and I have noticed no increase or decrease in tinnitus. I figured I would put this out there as an alternative to a horror story from other people. The only serious problems I think I have had is from the pain medications. Hydrocodone can make me nausead, tired, and dizzy. I hate the feeling but then also hate the painful feeling in my mouth. Most of the time the pain isn't too bad except when I lay down, then I might need to take a pain killer.

Anyways, I went to an oral surgeon, to get my teeth pulled out and had local anesthesia

Btw, this probably a long shot @Dana, but would you know if it's possible tinnitus could still go down due to the teeth removal after a couple of weeks?

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @JasonP,
      Fingers crossed it's your teeth and your tinnitus does settle down.
      It can take 3 months for your jaw heal and tooth socket settle so for now just give it time .

love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks. :) So you are saying that my tinnitus for 13+ years of tinnitus could still go away after my jaw heals?

One weird thing I need to mention. I still can't open my jaw all the way but here's the weird part: For years I have been able to "pop" my jaw on both sides by moving my it forwards and backwards. I think the pops would come from my temporomandibular joint (at any rate, right near there). Since having the wisdom teeth pulled, I have not been able to crack that side anymore. It barely makes any sound if at all. Does anyone know why this is?

7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      No one can know for sure what will happen, only time can tell...update us in a few months!

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I guess it's time for an update. The good news is that since having my extra wisdom tooth removed, my tinnitus never got worse. Unfortunately, I still have tinnitus. However, it may have helped with a "tonal" type tinnitus that I had because I haven't heard it in a long time. It's hard to say though for sure because I got off a medication andlso also have been taking supplements that could have helped lower the tonal tinnitus.

More good news: The loud tonal type tinnitus and static type tinnitus has mostly been gone for a long time now. I can't remember when I last had them. The static type tinnitus I believe was caused by withdrawal from klonopin which I believe affected the glutamate system. Two drugs called Riluzole and Lamictal were able to reduce or get rid of it, yet it could still come back if I kept taking klonopin, and could come up especially upon waking in the morning. It did go away a few weeks after being completely off klonopin and continuing Lamictal.

As far as the loud tonal tinnitus, I'm not sure what was causing that. It could have actually been the Lamictal or something else. I haven't noticed it in a while after stopping Lamictal. Right now, I mostly have a whistle type tinnitus with a few other little low sounds and it's much easier to habituate to. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I am happy to hear this @JasonP. You must feel a lot better about the whole process.

I have my first dental appointment, since getting tinnitus, scheduled for early May. Your post has given me some much needed relief.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I am so glad it's giving you hope!! That is wonderful!! :) I hope everything goes excellent for you!

11. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thank-you, @JasonP.:thankyousign: I will update once the appointment is over.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Good for you @emmalee!! Now a word of advice if you feel uncomfortable or feel not right with the dentist get up and leave. Never settle or feel obligated to let the dentist do whatever. Always get a second opinion if something needs to be done.

If you feel okay than relax and know it is so important to take care of our dental needs.

I am the biggest wimp in this regard. I do have a dentist who I trust. And I have been know to have a panic attack and run out the door.

@JasonP so glad you went through the procedure and your tinnitus is now different in a good way for whatever the reason. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @Starthrower, thank-you so very much for the advice. :huganimation:I have taken it to heart and will not feel at all obligated to let the dentist do whatever.

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Glad your surgery went well and tinnitus did not get worse.

I was wondering, did you happen to take any antibiotics before or after surgery?

I had one extra wisdom tooth that had to come out after partially erupting. It was smaller - I wondered if it was a root that broke off other wisdom tooth but dentist said no. It was disposed of before I could see it! 2 of my wisdom teeth were removed even though there was no problem and I think in retrospect, I would not have them removed unless they hurt--for a week. They come in handy when you get older and lose a tooth; your wisdom teeth will push the other teeth forward to fill in the gap and give you something to chew on.

15. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had all 4 of my wisdom removed a couple weeks ago and they did give antibiotics and steroids for the inflammation. I did not take the steroids but I did take the antibiotics which was amoxicillin. It didn't cause any problems for my tinnitus, no increase or decrease.

• Like Like x 1