Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Well, these are questions I don't know the absolute answer to, but my immediate thought is that yes, cochlear hydrops would in fact interfere with this drug's effectiveness.

2. Remjii79

Remjii79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Congenital/Unknown
      I wonder if it would it depend on if you were having an episode though as Meniere's tends to be episodic doesn't it? So if you were able to get the treatment at a time when fluid retention was at a minimum I suppose the drug could do its thing still.

• Like Like x 2
    3. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Well... I hope that both (Frequency Therapeutics as well as Audion Therapeutics) will have good results to restore hearing soon!

• Like Like x 2
    4. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      To be optimistic it's nice to see that both projects seems to have the same results.

Frequency Therapeutics wants to present their results at a big conference if I understood their latest update correctly. Does anyone here know which conference that is?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This is my hope.

• Like Like x 1
    6. reeseth

reeseth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menieres
      Mine as well! My Plan-B is CI, but wanna save that last card as long as possible.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      "Frequency plans to present the Phase 1/2 results at a major otolaryngology meeting in 2019 and to submit the results for publication. The company believes the results of this study support the advancement of FX-322 into a multiple dose Phase 2a study, which it plans to initiate later this year."

From their press release... Does anyone know when that "major otolaryngology meeting" is supposed to be held? I bet we will have to wait for August/early September for the next trial to start.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. The last thing you want is to do that and then someone figure out that sea anemone enemas cure hearing loss.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I'm a little confused with this. My English is a limitation.

I read here that they found positive results but they are not too hopeful. Am I wrong?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Some of the people here may not be too hopeful when their tinnitus is bad. Frequency Therapeutics seem confident and upbeat from everything I've ever read.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You are wrong, I'm happy to say.
      They are hopeful... so stay optimistic Don Tinny.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      @reeseth: sorry I'm a newbie here, what's CI?

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Cochlear implant.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      John - does this imply that you have no faith in bimodal stimulation then John?

• Like Like x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. I just think it's incredibly inferior. But I guess time will tell. Those testimonials Neuromod put out looked like a heap of crap though to be honest.

I liken it to fixing a problem vs fixing a symptom of a problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. gadsie
      Angelic

gadsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normal volume headphones/clubbing with earplugs
      I think that he means it’s superior even if it works, you get two birds with one stone.

17. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      A wise choice.

greco_44539625762_o.png

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Yes, I agree a CI should be a last resort. I'm holding out as well to see what happens with FX-322. From what I understand there is no going back from a CI procedure. The results also seem mixed from what I have read. I'll hold out until I go completely deaf before going that route.

Clint: It is still a possibility that we restore hearing and tinnitus still remains. There are theories that once it is embedded in the brain it won't go away. I am a firm believer that if you restore hearing then tinnitus will go away if your tinnitus is due to hearing loss. I also believe that you have to get your hearing pretty close to baseline before the tinnitus will completely go away and that is still not certain with FX-322. If the multiple dose approach works then we have a chance.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 6
      • Creative Creative x 1
    19. WickedCarnival

WickedCarnival Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late Autumn 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure between azithromycin or viral infection
      Otomagnetics Magnetic Injection Technology

• Like Like x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I've seen this. There's no need. A needle is fast and easy. Hurts a little but who cares? You can't be a wimp and have tinnitus. Besides, you'd have to mix, therefore diluting, any drug, with ferrous (metals that interact with a magnetic field) nano particle and hope that it isn't ototoxic. Do you want ferrous nano particles floating around in your cochlea? I'll answer that for you. "Hell no".

I really don't see this being feasible in any way. It's a dream.

The best way is to use IT injections and then just lay there with your head tilted for an hour or so while the substance diffuses into the round window.

Also concerning Otomagnetics, think about it. The middle ear is a hollow cavity. You won't be able to use this technology to introduce a large enough amount of substance quickly enough to fill up the middle ear to the point were it is resting on the round window, it will only diffuse through the eardrum very very slowly. It would take hours and hours to permeate the eardrum with the same amount of substance that you could just inject in 5 seconds. Also, how can the magnet be on the same side as your head as the ear your treating? Magnets attract. You would have to position the magnet on the opposite side of the head as the ear that you are treating. A forward facing magnet cannot suspend ferrous material at a set distance, that's called levitation and can only be achieved with materials that are supercooled cryogenically.

Like I said, this is a dream. There's nothing wrong with an IT injection with a needle, so long as the physician is competent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    21. Adam4022

Adam4022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music & headphones
      Hello all. My name is Adam, age 19, from Florida. I found out I have tinnitus roughly a year ago, from the silliest things. I believe I got it from playing music too loud in my car and listening to music with the volume too high in my headphones. Stupid I know, but what can I say, I love music and I like to get amped when I listen to it. Take that as a note for those of you who may be reading this but don’t have tinnitus. If you listen to music too loud now, stop before it’s too late. There have been days where I haven’t wanted to wake up because of my ringing. No medication or LipoFlavonoid helps. And to make things worse, I’m a weed smoker, and whenever I smoke the ringing is amplified. Somehow I’ve gotten used to that. Somehow I’ve gotten used to all of this. There have been days I’ve woken up and immediately heard the ringing and have had thoughts of killing myself. Ending it all. But I won’t do that. I’m still here. And that’s because it’s against my religion to kill myself, but more importantly, because this page gave me hope.

I saw a couple of months ago that halfway through this year we would receive news regarding Frequency Therepeautics trials and whether or not their product would work on humans. I read that we would know by May most likely, so I am here to ask if there are any updates.

Has the stem cell regenerating drug that you inject in your ear been created? And was it a success? If not, are there other drugs being developed and if so please explain them to me.

I’m going to read through what has been recently added but if it’s possible could someone please break down for me the results of the trial if we have them and let me know if the drug was a success? Please let me know ASAP! Thank you.

Tinnitus strong! Stay determined everyone! We will all get through this.

22. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I am really optimistic in the clinical trials by Frequency Therapeutics and the REGAIN-project. Both published early positive results/press releases after the phase 1/2 trial. I want to restore my hearing! And I hope that the tinnitus will reduce once the hearing is restored. I hope that the drug candidates they have now used will work!

Does anyone have anything new in regards to updates?

Best regards from Germany!

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      In a nutshell: The most recent (phase 1b) trial completed with no serious negative effects of FX-322 on the participants. That was its main endpoint. However, they also stated that 'multiple' participants had shown improvement in their audiograms and word recognition scores. They gave no numbers or elaboration, but said they will present their findings at a major conference. They also said that they are on track for a phase 2a study later in the year. They were no more specific than that.

Prior to that they received another round of funding, leading us to surmise that they had managed to convince investors that their program was on track. Put those together and it seems very positive.

All we know from the REGAIN project is that phase 1 achieved its safety endpoints and that phase 2 is now underway. No indication on whether any participants in phase 1 showed any measurable improvements in hearing.

• Like Like x 4
    24. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      OK. Thank you for the nutshell! So do you think that Frequency Therapeutics is a step forward to hearing loss restoration? It sounds like that... Or is it just our hope that makes us so optimistic?

25. WickedCarnival

WickedCarnival Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late Autumn 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure between azithromycin or viral infection
      Sounds like toxic negativity on your part. I have bad tinnitus as well, but that has no effect on the good scientific work Otomagnetics is doing. They've already received research grants and present at conferences, so it will be a reality in the future.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 3
    27. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I agree with John. The intratympanic injection has been in use for years and it works fine. Why should they use something with magnetism when the diffusion through the round window is a tested and effective method? And... I don't want to have something "magnetic" in my ear...

• Like Like x 2
    28. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      @Shelly75

Hearing aids do not cover the range of hidden hearing loss. Those children could be suffering from hidden hearing loss, or their tinnitus can come from a 5 db dip that is still in the normal range of hearing. Maybe the hair cells aren't damaged enough so they can be salvaged with resting your ears, or nerve repair. Maybe your brain gets use to your new range of hearing, which is why some people's tinnitus fades or goes into remission. Those people who woke up with tinnitus probably broke the camel's back - and will not know, because hidden hearing loss is not tested for.

Or even smaller cases - TMJ/TMD/ETD/NECK ISSUES etc<-- all other lesser causes that induce tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    29. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Their treatment improved functional hearing for at two people with sudden sensorineural hearing loss. I don't think that's ever been done before. Sounds like a step forward to me.

• Like Like x 4
    30. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've brought this up before and didn't get any responses. What happens if all our dreams come true and FX-322 is proved to be a successful treatment for hearing loss? How many people are going to be seeking treatment? Well, millions if it's really that good. How many people are qualified to administer intratympanic injections right now? How much time can they spare from their current duties? What kind of waiting lists would you expect?

I'm thinking a backup method of treatment that you could train nurses or techs to do might be nice to have.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1