Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Aleksa Uzunovic

Aleksa Uzunovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss
      Wait... So there was supposed to be phase 1b and they skipped it???

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jackjohnson183

Jackjohnson183 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal
      If there was no Phase 1b, and it went to Phase 2a, then it could be possible to skip Phase 2b and go to Phase 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Realistically, if this passes all phases of the trial, when can we expect this to be available commercially? I'm really struggling with tinnitus and it would be nice if it could be available sooner than later(as in not ten years from now..)

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No one can truly say. It all depends on how well it goes in next the trial. This time they will also be checking how it works for tinnitus. If the results are mind bending and very successful i am positive that we will be seeing something in less than 3 years with fast tracking. If the results are not conclusive or only yields slight improvement, it will be a long road or not be made available at all. That's just an estimated guess.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      If all goes well, it definitely will be here before 10 years. Maybe even 2-3.

These guys aren't playing any games.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      This is true... they are some of the best minds in this field on planet earth.

We are at the beginning of the regenerative medicine revolution. There will be hiccups, plateaus, failures and successes.

As desperate as we are, and I am desperate, we need to be “cautiously optimistic” as member d’wooluf said. That way we’re not heartbroken and can work at living in the present. This is not aimed at CBM, but some words of chill for myself and some other comrades who are freaking out.

Stay cool comrades, one phase at a time, fingers crossed...

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. RingingBrother

RingingBrother Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the FDA was giving Frequency Therapeutics some extra help even before fast track kicked in. It seems a cure for hearing loss is becoming a top priority because of the effect on the military and the economic loss caused by it is making it a national security issue which is why the DoD started funding hearing restoration research in 2017.

• Like Like x 2
    8. RingingBrother

RingingBrother Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it continues having no safety issues and passes efficacy maybe the FDA and the U.S Military will want it out by 2021.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. FGG

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Interesting thought but if they really were preferentially picking test subjects with sudden noise related hearing loss maybe it would be because of something like this...

10. F-u-T

F-u-T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I know exactly when my tinnitus started from NIHL. One really loud music event was all it took. I only have a minor dip in higher frequency range but still within normal for my age group. I had an audiogram prior to acoustic trauma to compare to which showed the slight dip. Probably not enough for the trial requirements though.

11. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I see a lot of people still thinking that they, figuratively speaking, will find this drug under their Christmas tree next year. People, this is not going to happen. They have to go through Phase 2a, then Phase 2b, then Phase 3. If we’re unlucky they might even have to do a Phase 3b. Each of those phases takes about a year, and usually there are about 4-6 months between each phase. Do the math.

Now, if we had a situation on our hands where the Phase 1/2 results were stellar, this positive thinking might have had some merit. But they weren’t.

This “maybe it’s out in 18 months” is really just a - completely understandable - coping mechanism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      What are you babbling about? No one is saying 18 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      Phase 3 might not be required however.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      It might not, but there’s an equal possibility it has to go through a Phase 3b. We just don’t know. It all depends on how well the drug performs in this phase 2a trial. We should have a lot more information when top-line results are released this time next year. And even then, it’s possible drug performance fluctuates in future trials.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The drug probably did reach the apex in trace amounts but since this stuff is dose dependent it didn't trigger proliferation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Jackjohnson183

Jackjohnson183 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal
      Would each person have a different size Apex as well. So some people might need more than others?

17. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well you'd be wrong because I am exactly that case. I can pinpoint it to the day and I was still turned down.

18. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      I have enough hearing loss I think. I had enough hearing loss for the last trial.

19. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      Hope so! Trouble is I can't help but feel that the exposure decay will be exponential within the cochlea - a bit like dropping a blob of paint and examining the volume that remains inside a given radius of the impact. Given such a decay it could need a LOT of drug to have any impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown; acoustic trauma/hyperacusis/sshl
      Just read something that really scared me about the efficacy of stem cells, even when administered IT.

Even if FX-322 bypasses the need to infuse stem cells with growth factors for appropriate cell differentiation... “in past experiments, transplantation of stem cells into the damaged areas has produced only varying results, and a challenging problem that prevents successful stem cell transplantation is to avoid stem cell deaths. Stem cells often die due to failure to bypass the glial scar, a hallmark of neural damage that is thought to act as a barrier for cell transplantation.”

This has been addressed by a research team in Kyoto, who “discovered that applying new stem cells to the surface of the glial scar rather than underneath it helps their survival. They reported that the survived stem cells were able to grow from the damaged segment of the auditory nerve, which then travel from the cochlea to the brainstem, the part of the brain which controls flow of messages between the brain and the rest of the body – in this case, the ear - and eventually restored remarkable auditory function.”

Is the idea that the slow release gel will somehow “soak” into all of the damaged areas in question, including the glial scar? Any way we could get Frequency Therapeutics on the Tinnitus Talk Podcast? Do we have any contact information besides their LinkedIn?

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's probably close.

22. FGG

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I don't think the glial scar is an issue because the drug causes supporting cells to divide where they are.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess I’m unclear as to the mechanisms here. I saw the visual model prior, but wouldn’t lack of support cells post-differentiation also be cause for concern?

24. FGG

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Not sure what you mean.

25. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does the division of the support cell into the hair cell deplete the original cell or does it simply divide and remain intact?

• Winner Winner x 1
    26. FGG

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The division happens first. There is no depletion of supporting cells with FX-322. This seems to differ from REGAIN.

• Like Like x 2
    27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With FX-322 it is supposed to divide the supporting cells and then make a hair cell so it maintains supporting cell numbers.

• Like Like x 2
    28. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lovely news. We’re looking at 18 months minimum? I can stick it out til then. Swear if they don’t end up serving tinnitus patients I’m blowing this ear out.

• Like Like x 2
    29. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      Keep in mind we don't actually know if it helps with tinnitus yet.

Best bets are probably on neuromodulation devices and maybe the pills so far.

30. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What makes you partial to the pill over FX-322? Systemic circulation seems like a reach to me. Would imagine there would be significantly greater potential for side effects and bioavailability issues.