Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      You might be right, but how is it that the researchers don't see that?

2. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      We haven’t had any results from REGAIN so we don’t know. Frequency Therapeutics has said their drug mostly reaches the freqencies >3.500 Hz. There’s also plenty of research that intratympanic delivered steroids don’t reach the apex.

3. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      What we do not know is what the effect of four injections will be and why Frequency opted for that. They might have chosen variation in the method of delivery. E.g. dose or exposure time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      How do you think they can increase exposure time? They use a gel that ‘rests’ on the round window membrane in order for the drug to permeate in the cochlea. They also haven’t announced anything that makes me think the drug will be longer in the cochlea than in previous trials. The same goes for dosage.

I don’t think they’ll change the delivery method anytime soon. I don’t blame ‘em, right now it’s either oral or intratympanic to get any drug in the cochlea.

5. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Do you guys know if they’re still recruiting for their Torrance location?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      How long did it take for it to go away. I still react to fridges, dryer, water dispenser. Some things cause a ring, others cause a hum.

Best to call.You never know if someone bailed and a spot opened up.

• Like Like x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      3 months or so approximately if I remember correctly. I should really be keeping a journal on this stuff.

My hearing (apart from more mild tinnitus that wasn't reactive) was perfectly normal until early this year, though. Hard to say if it was time or NAD+ but that's all i was consistently taking at the time. It hasn't helped my hearing otherwise, though but my tinnitus no longer seems to react to sounds at all.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Good luck and keep us up to date. So far no one from Tinnitus Talk has been accepted for the trials because their hearing loss ain’t that bad.

@ChrisBoyMonkey should be getting his shot soon for OTO-313.

9. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They should be, yes.

10. Pre55ure

Pre55ure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear migraines
      As someone who suffers from hearing loss < 1 kHz, my hope is that targeted drug delivery won't be too far behind a functional drug. If not... I'd be willing to undergo surgical methods (if available) to cram some FX-322 (or something else that works) deep into my apex.

11. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Target drug delivery and drug development can run concurrently. Once something better than intratympanic injections comes a long, FX-322 - if approved by then - should be able to utilize that.

12. Aleksa Uzunovic

Aleksa Uzunovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss
      I mean if this thing worked in vitro and in other mammals, why the hell wouldn't it work in vivo as well?! Makes no sense if it doesn't.

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Are you allowed to tell us about your trial experience after it happens?

14. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Because a lot of science things work fine in a test tube and in rodents, but then end up not working in humans. Never assume something works in humans.

• Genius Genius x 1
    15. hopeful4future

hopeful4future Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      I did. I don’t think I’m moving forward with it, to concerned about any possible risks. Maybe wait for phase 3.
      Makes me feel like I have the worst tinnitus in the world since none of you guys qualified.

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you think the rats' metabolism increases the circulation of the cochlea faster/better? Maybe we need to hit some blow before the injection to get our heart rates up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Because all kinds of things can go wrong when using it in a live human being. Drug delivery for example.

18. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      My hearing loss qualifies me, my tinnitus is awful... you are not alone.

I live too far away and I am the breadwinner for my family. I couldn’t risk receiving 4 placebo shots, as well as leaving work and traveling back to the States on top of the fact that none of the trial locations are near my home town or where I have family.

I am surprised that the trials haven’t filled up, they only need 96 patients, volunteers.

in Boston, lab rats were consistently compensated for their time and risk. I wonder why they don’t do that as well as the fact they are still recruiting. You would think the slots would have been filled fast as the USA is so big and has many folks with poor audiograms.

• Like Like x 2
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Participants are paid for this trial but not for travel, expenses or anything like that.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Can you share your audiogram with me if you don’t mind? I still need to get an updated one because mine's like a year old but I feel like my hearing is not bad enough for me to qualify.

• Like Like x 1
    21. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I don't know. I'm doing OTO-313, and I don't think I've actually signed an NDA yet, but I'll ask next time I'm there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Kain,

Just call the center near you, all the numbers are listed either through Frequency Therapeutics' website or ClinicalTrials.Gov - as I recall it was an 800 number. You can talk directly to the right person who is involved in screening applicants I assume. At ClinicalTrials.gov I believe they post the requirements.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They want specific hearing loss in specific bands, and level of tinnitus and hearing loss are not co-dependent.

I have up to 35 dB loss within their 8 kHz range but that wasn't the right loss apparently.

Keep in mind also, the drug isn't listed for tinnitus but hearing loss. Hopefully it improves or eliminates tinnitus.

24. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I meet all the listed requirements and don't have any exclusion factors, yet I was still denied. There's more required than they say.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      I was also denied because my speech understanding scores were not bad enough...

I've had several hearing tests done over the last 2 years...

The interesting thing is when a female with a high pitched tone gives me the test I pass because I do not have high frequency hearing loss, but when someone gives me the test with a lower voice, or if it's done with a male, I score a lot worse on the speech understand part of the test. Because of that, I do not think the standard test is fair. I've also had the tests done at different doctor's offices and there is always a slight variation because they use different testing programs. I really think this is something that should standardize.

26. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Maybe they’re aiming for diverse participants within the listed requirements. For example, they could want an even spread between people with mild hearing loss, moderate hearing loss and moderate-severe hearing loss, with you possibly in a category they have ‘enough of’.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Did you tell them that? It's possible the female voice was their standard (both male and female "speech in noise" tests exist--I have had both before). Knowing that less of the drug makes it below 3500 Hz, I imagine they would prefer testing FX-322 on those who had trouble with higher pitched speech.

28. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This makes a lot of sense and would explain the mysteriousness of their selection process.

• Like Like x 2
    29. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I almost made it in but my word recognition was too poor, I have severe hearing loss. Plus traveling far to possibly get four fake shots wasn’t appealing anyways. I hate the way they do the placebo group, if you sign up for an experimental drug let me know I’m getting it. This way I can prepare myself and just go for it.

The site also had Otonomy done there but I couldn’t get any clues on it.

30. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think when you get placebo that they give you the real thing afterwards if you want it.

• Like Like x 1