Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Folks are just sharing ideas, speculating and passing time in a constructive way.

We are on standby till the end of the year, fingers crossed, for phase2 a trial results.

Stocks are an indicator that there is promise and is a very good thing that the company is soaking up money. Another Boston based company just soaked up 100 million... (Akouos).

There is supposedly a conference I believe in a couple months where we may get bits and pieces... but ultimately we are waiting for this trial to fill and complete.

We are waiting, coping with our afflictions and praying the drug is amazing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    2. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      There's probably no point checking in before December then. You won't hear anything worth hearing before the results are announced. The study finishes at the end of September. Going by the last study, they'll take their sweet time in releasing results. We may not hear anything until early next year.

• Like Like x 2
    3. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      We'll have the Audion Regain Phase 2 results to pore over at the start of May which will probably give us some food for thought re how well Frequency's drug might do but as others have said nothing substantive from Frequency until the 2nd half 2020 (end of probs).

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      I'm a bit worried that Audion has been too quiet. Frequency has cut deals, made the news, is regularly going to conferences, and is gearing up for what looks like a roll out of FX-322. If you google for Audion, there's almost no news stories or buzz about them. If they have a drug that works, why are they being so quiet? Additionally, in Frequency's Phase I results, they played up how 4 of the individuals treated saw statistically significant improvements. There was nothing about patient improvements in the Audion Phase I results. The only indication we have that LY3056480 works is a second hand story from someone on this forum (which admittely is good intel, though why would someone whose hearing improved go back on tour to wreck it again?).

I poked around a little on LinkedIn, where Audion has a small presence. I noticed the CEO of Audion is also the CEO of another company. I'm not sure how common that is, but that seemed odd. Of the 3 employees listed, I looked at the activity of 2 of them and didn't see anything that really shed any light on big news coming.

Anyway, this is just me trying to read the tealeaves. I'm starting to wonder if we should expect disappointing results from Audion. If it wasn't for the story on this forum about a musican recovering, I would say it looks bad for Audion, though that leak seems to make it sound like they have something real - but if they have something that works, I don't understand why they'd be acting the way they are.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      For a few reasons (and you have touched on one of them, lack of phase 1 fanfare), I have more than a bit of reservation about Audion. I hope I am wrong though!

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Audion does not need to make noise or self-promote to get money. They get their money from the EU right?

Perhaps they choose just not to waste any energy on communications until they have something to communicate. Results after each phase?

Our Consortium
      An international consortium of 7 partners has been awarded a €5,8 million European Commission Horizon 2020 grant to develop and test a new drug to treat hearing loss caused by the loss of sensory hair cells.
      The consortium’s unique combination of expertise in hearing loss biology and drug development and clinical expertise in treating hearing loss allows REGAIN to advance from proof-of-concept to the clinic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Out of curiousity, I'm guessing one of the other major reasons was the research paper [1,2] you mentioned a while back? I took another look at it and this line jumped out at me:

these results suggest that while Notch inhibition is sufficient for promoting stereocilia bundle formation, it is insufficient to convert neonatal supporting cells to mature hair cells.​

The first time I tried reading the paper I had trouble making heads or tails of what they were talking about. This time through it made a little more sense, definitely a bit discouraging. Hopefully the cells FX-322 generates are more like real hair-cells and less like these HCLCs (hair-cell like cells).

[1] Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration
      [2] https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2018.00073/full#F1

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Good recall on that paper.

You are correct. My skepticism on Audion's method was greatly amplified with that paper. I think essentially retrofitting a mature support cell is very likely to be no one near as effective or functional as creating one from a progenitor.

It may actually mean Audion works better for tinnitus than hearing loss, though, because even a abnormal signal probably stops the fusiform hyperactivity in the DCN I would guess. It still suffers the problem of SC depletion though and the CEO not sounding very excited about it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      This sounds great. Mind explaining a bit more how this might happen?

10. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

Tinnitus Talk Podcast will speak with Frequency Therapeutics

It is my absolute pleasure to announce that we will interviewing Frequency Therapeutics this April. More specifically, we will be interviewing Carl LeBel, PhD, the Chief Development Officer at Frequency.

Our talented duo @mrbrightside614 and @FGG have already been helping us create talking points and @mrbrightside614 will actually co-host the interview with @Hazel. Now we're approaching the Tinnitus Talk community since we know many of you are eager to provide your own input as well.

This is your opportunity to let us know what you'd like us to talk about in the interview. The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, March 24th.

➡️ Submit Your Questions HERE

A few practical matters:
      • We will publish a transcript of the interview for those who have a hard time listening to podcasts. This is possible thanks to our wonderful volunteer @Liz Windsor who has transcribed previous Tinnitus Talk Podcast episodes as well.

• The interview will likely be released by end of April, but during May the latest (unless something unexpected happens, keeping in mind the coronavirus, etc.).

• We are not going to put the interview behind a paywall. However, we do greatly appreciate our Tinnitus Talk Podcast Patreons who allow us to cover our expenses, and improve our show. If you'd like to support our work in bringing you interviews such as this, please become a Patreon for as little as $2/month:

tinnitus-talk-podcast-patron.png

Tinnitus Talk turned 9 years old on March 5th, 2020, and I myself will have had tinnitus for 10 years this coming April, so how else better celebrate these milestones than with an exciting interview many of you've been asking us for!

Thanks for your support, as always!

• Winner Winner x 28
      • Like Like x 17
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      This is really awesome, and certainly a landmark for the Tinnitus Talk Podcast.

I’m also very happy that @mrbrightside614 has agreed to co-host this episode with me. He’s far more knowledgeable on the topic than I am, so I’ll just be facilitating the interview.

Thanks to all of you here who have been keeping this thread active for submitting your questions and supporting our work! Please remember that your support enables us to keep creating content such as this for you guys :)

• Like Like x 12
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      3sboo1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 15
      • Like Like x 5
      • Genius Genius x 1
    13. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      A few things:

1. I’m absolutely psyched to do this and I pray COVID-19 doesn’t delay the recording and/or broadcast of this Tinnitus Talk Podcast episode.

2. I have my script of what I think are the most important questions. I can assure you @FGG and I left no stone unturned in regards to Tinnitus Talk’s broad and individualized concerns.

3. We ARE taking members’ questions into consideration and we have not submitted our script to Frequency Therapeutics for review yet. So if you have questions, bring ‘em.

• Winner Winner x 12
      • Like Like x 4
    14. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      We know when a new hair cell is formed it reattached to the type 1 SGN. Do they also reconnect to the type 2 afferent SGN? This is a very important consideration for the potential to impact pain hyperacusis.

Since these neurons are not used for hearing they didn’t get much mention (that I noticed) in Frequency’s previous presentations.

Thanks so much @FGG and @mrbrightside614 for your hard work!

(I’ll send this through SurveyMonkey as well, didn’t notice the link at first).

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much.

• Like Like x 5
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Isn’t Pipeline using a form of notch inhibition as well to generate a small amount of OHC?

What’s strange is that they claimed that all of their new hair cells had proper characteristics and alignment. I wonder why Audion might be struggling with this and Pipeline hasn’t. Perhaps the notch pathway they are utilizing is different? Can different notch pathways affect the effectiveness of turning a mature SC into a fully functional hair cell?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    17. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      This is wonderful news!

You're going to be getting a lot of questions :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is it possible to speculate at what time period, years, after sudden hearing loss that this drug would be effective? Poorly worded... Do we still have a chance to benefit from this drug say 7,10, 15 years after our trauma, hearing loss?

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Pipeline are also using a Gamma Secretase Inhibitor, like Audion but I don't think it's as aggressive. This may be a situation where a weaker inhibition is better. When I emailed Pipeline, they seemed confident their hair cells were normal (I even emailed them this exact paper).

• Like Like x 1
    20. Ten Letter Word

Ten Letter Word Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bar Concert
      This is so exciting, I can't wait to hear the podcast! :joyful:

With @mrbrightside614 and @FGG's knowledge and passion behind the questions, and @Hazel's podcast/interview experience guiding the way I couldn't imagine a better group of people for the job!

As far as questions/topics go, I want to hear EVERYTHING, haha :ROFL:

...But really, I would be very interested to hear what they have to say about the robustness or longevity of the improvements FX-322 might offer. As I brought up in my question to the forum a few days ago, I would be curious if they have any insights in regards to the strength of the regenerated hair cells/synapses, both generally, as well as compared to someone who's never had damages. Do they believe there would be any greater noise exposure risk for someone treated with FX-322 as opposed to someone who never had more significant losses/damages?

As a side note, I can't help but get the feeling that, much like how they've added the tinnitus measures to their phase 2 trials, Frequency's willingness to appear on a podcast focused specifically on tinnitus is not without good reason. Might hint at some exciting trends they've seen in their trials so far!

• Good Question Good Question x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    21. Ten Letter Word

Ten Letter Word Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bar Concert
      Good heads up, I didn't notice that at first either!

22. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is a good question. I’ll add it as one of my follow-ups.

I agree with you on your last point as well. Very heartening in- and of-itself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Sounds very promising and will hopefully allay many concerns regarding timelines from clinical trials to commercialization, efficacy and safety, and the spectrum of scenarios where FX-322 will have application.

Thank you @FGG, @mrbrightside614, and @Hazel for offering your time and specialized knowledge of the subject matter in making this event a reality. Also. thank you @Markku for the notice.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      • Like Like x 4
    25. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I like this guy and respect his channel but he neglects the fact that it was only a small safety dosage administered and that there were actually 4 patients if I recall correctly who did have a 10 dB threshold improvement @ 8 kHz. And they didn't report what was likely OHC growth in the UHF's.

Hoping @FGG can ready a good response to him :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. AtlasFainted

AtlasFainted Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure + Viral Infection
      @mrbrightside614 @FGG @HootOwl @Hazel @Markku

Hey all! I've been lurking on this thread with a watchful eye for a couple of months now.

Thank you for all that you do.

Seriously, one of the few good things my hearing loss/tinnitus has given me is a great sense of admiration and sympathy for those of us who endure these burdens! Especially those of you who put in what is obviously hours per day to simply help and inform others.

I believe this would give any sensible person hope for humanity if they didn't have any before, and I cannot state my fondness of you enough.

I've pitched the below questions through the survey for the upcoming podcast (totally missed that link before) but am reposting to get some discussion going if possible:

What can those of us who are aware of FX-322 do to ensure we get the treatment as soon as possible?

Elaboration incoming:

Once this drug is approved to hit the market (as I believe it will) and the press gets a whiff of it, there is bound to be a media storm and a presumably large backlog of appointments at every clinic that offers Intratympanic injections.

We know that for the clinical trials, participants had to have an audiogram going back at least 6 months to show that hearing loss was stable.

Would it be a good idea for those of us who haven't had a professional audiogram to get one done - could demonstrably stable hearing loss end up being a prerequisite in order to receive the actual treatment?

In addition, while we don't know exactly when it's hitting the market, it has crossed my mind to schedule an appointment with a qualified ENT as soon as the drug is approved.

For example, my provider lets me email doctors about issues before meeting them; I could potentially inform my ENT of choice that I want to make an appointment in advance to receive the FX-322 treatment, in turn 'reserving' my treatment in wake of the incoming frenzy.

If I could be so bold, I believe that all of us who care enough to follow the developments on FX-322 want our injections ASAP.

Due to our acute awareness, we'll likely know when it's approved for the market before the vast majority of the public does: even if it's only by a few hours or days.

At the risk of sounding selfish, I'd like to leverage that headstart in order to get the treatment without standing in line behind the 30 million or so other American hearing loss sufferers, if at all possible.

Again, thanks for all that you do, I am truly inspired by your kind actions. I'm looking forward to the upcoming podcast, and intend on becoming a patron!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think it's possibly deliberately misleading because he plugs hearing aids at the end. And Audiologists' primary job is to fit and adjust hearing aids.

The reason I say that is he referenced the cochlear implant patient study but not the explant study which showed OHC growth and, as you said, he didn't make the obvious safety dose connection or describe Frequency's own explanation attributing at least some of the word score improvements to UHF changes in OHCs.

What I got from the video: this is exciting but still buy hearing aids and don't wait for it.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. AtlasFainted

AtlasFainted Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure + Viral Infection
      @serendipity1996

It's great that he's spreading awareness! I also feel like he missed at least one point in addition to what @Tweedleman pointed out:

They were only tested up to 8 kHz.

The human hearing range can extend all the way to 20 kHz.

Most people with tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss tend to lose those upper frequencies before losing the lower ones (as I understand it the frequencies get lower as you go deeper into the Coachella, so this makes sense).

For example, I have pretty moderate tinnitus but I hear speech frequencies perfectly fine. The loss of frequencies that are > 8 kHz, and largely untested by audiologists, seem to be responsible for a ton of hearing-related issues.

So even if the current formula of FX-322 isn't helping much at lower frequencies, regenerating the higher ones would still be a godsend for people like me.

In addition, the higher frequencies are also what is thought to help with word clarity, so that explains the correlation where he mentioned an improvement in word clarity among phase 1 patients...

This is why I think all audiograms should include high frequencies. Only testing up to 8 kHz seems kind of primitive (even when testing for speech), because our ears aren't that simple.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That's still pretty good advice, don't you think? From a hearing loss perspective anyway. I generally respect Cliff's opinion.

30. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's totally fine advice. It will be a while since FX-322 comes out anyway.