Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Frequency Therapeutics is already a public company. If this were a "water car" situation (not that I believe in that tinfoil theory) then wouldn't you want to stop it long before it reached this point? I would not try concocting conspiracies here. It's just a way to avoid getting your hopes up.

BTW, for the record, the buggy-whip manufacturers couldn't stop cars and Chevron/Cobasys couldn't stop electric cars, despite the movie. (I'm driving one now, btw). Progress has a way of proceeding anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pink Floyd
      FX-322 was proven to be safe during the initial trial so any petitions or requests for additional trials from anyone other than a group of medical professionals in the field (and even these cherished folks) will fall on deaf ears, pardon the jocular pun.

Hearing aid companies AND audiologists are not even in the theatre concerning cochlea pharmacology. There is no industry or outside forces that will incumber the success of FX-322 and its availability to all who need it.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Could it be tinnitus sufferers' brains are somehow not as plastic as those who have recovered?

Rather than the cochlear recovering and the brain responding to that recovery, it could be the brain was already compromised and therefore the insult from the cochlear triggers it. So the problem might lie partly in the brain as well? I’m saying this as hearing loss and brain degeneration seems to have some correlation.

I’m just guessing because things like stress, sleep, etc affect tinnitus. :unsure::unsure:

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      From what I understand about the AstraZeneca COVID-19 trial, the reason for the vaccine halt has not been confirmed yet. From what I have seen, the negative reaction had by that participant could have been caused by the placebo and/or an underlying condition which the participant has but has not been identified as yet. I also believe that there is still no conclusive connection between the vaccine and the unfortunate adverse reaction that this person had.

Retigabine has had some adverse affects and got withdrawn from the market. My understanding is that Retigabine is now being redone/reformulated to remove the adverse elements and make it suitable for use again.

From what I understand FX-322 is a very low risk medicine compared to others and has demonstrated this to be the case thus far. However I don't disagree with you that it is entirely possible that there could be adverse outcomes and/or experiences from this in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Your question has two parts and I will give you thoughts on both.

First, it's incredibly complicated how things like stress affects tinnitus but it's a neurotransmitter issue and not because people have brain damage. I have included diagrams of the brain's neurotransmitter response to "uncoping stress" vs "coping stress" and you can see the neurotransmitter profiles are really different.

These were taken from Fuad Lechin's book "Neurocircuitry and Neuroautonomic Disorders" who is a researcher who was once nominated for the Nobel Prize in medicine. Highly recommend his book but fair warning it is very technical and dense.

Anyway, what he discovered many years ago is that the brain directly controls immune/inflammatory response by pushing it toward either TH1 or TH2 predominant state (basically which kind of helper T cell predominates so which kind of inflammatory cytokines, or messengers, predominant).

As to your other point that maybe sufferers have brains that don't recover when the cochlea recovers, those people that didn't recover didn't have cochleas that recovered. If their brain responded to the abnormal input, it would respond to the normalized input. Plasticity isn't an on/off switch that gets broken off. If they didn't have plastic brains, they shouldn't have had maladaptively plastic brains either.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      They can impact your handling of ANY challenging stimulus.

• Like Like x 2
    7. sensualmosquito
      Confused

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      I hope that I can eventually get at least some of my hearing back, if not all of it. I notice my hearing loss all the time because it's moderate (~50 dB) in my right ear, while my left is normal. I want to at least feel more normal, and reduce my tinnitus. Who knows if FX-322 would really work on me though, since my case began with one noise exposure instead of the numerous ones that typically cause tinnitus and NIHL for people. My ear could be pretty jacked up structurally, so I don't know. Maybe I'll have to wait until I can get an ear transplant (I'll be long gone until that's possible lol).

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I don't think FX-322 would be less liable to work if you got hearing loss from a 'one-off' incident, at the end of the day it is still NIHL which is what FX-322 is intending to fix.

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I really think right now that there isn’t any difference between whether the hearing loss was caused by a single incident or where it was caused progressively. In fact if I look at what those in the restorative medicine space have suggested about hearing loss (like Hough Ear Institute), I would actually suggest that the fact that they have referred to army issues means that they think it is no different.

I would actually argue there is no difference because a lot of outcomes from research suggests that hearing loss is the same. You simply have just lost hair cells or synapses and you need to get these repaired to regain hearing.

I actually think that these treatments might actually dispel some of those conditions around hearing loss which have been coined by experts. One example is Acoustic Shock which certain parties believe is now just really a single situation where you lost hair cells. it isn’t just some specific condition like it has been made out as.

I think that if synapse treatment ends up resolving your issue with reduced synapses then no matter how bad they are or how this occurred you should regain regular hearing function.

For now we are still hypothesising, however I think that the evidence is fairly promising and positive that this treatment will (providing the lab outcomes replicate in an ear) restore regular hearing function. It is now just a matter of waiting for the conclusion of trials.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Pete88

Pete88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise
      I dont think it matters if it was one big bang or several minor instances of damage. If it's hair cell loss, FX-322, assuming it indeed works, can fix it.

I crept on your profile and you stated your hearing loss is 6-8 kHz. Lucky for you, FX-322 helped 8 kHz and I bet can penetrate to at least 6 kHz with multiple dosing.

Just be patient. I know it sucks but you have only good reason to be hopeful that you can be fixed up, at least to a certain extent, in a few years!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Even if your hearing loss comes from a one-off incident that could have just been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Along these lines, the cause shouldn't matter but rather what structures are affected is what's important.

If you break an arm falling off a tree or in a car wreck, would you treat it differently?

If you get cataracts from age or diabetes, is the treatment different?

Cause only matters if the physiological or structural outcome is different.

@sensualmosquito, if you have a 50 dB loss on your audiogram, it means you, for sure, lost OHCs so you need a hair cell regenerating drug for that problem.

• Like Like x 2
    13. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Frequency Therapeutics have said somewhere in one of their slide releases that they can get FX-322 to work down to 6500 Hz. We know how conservative Frequency Therapeutics has been with the information they have released. Thus I am absolutely positive that if they hadn't been certain that this could be done then they would not have made this claim. Therefore I would totally expect that we would see benefit be gained here and hopefully in the even lower frequencies too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I thought that a sudden acoustic trauma made it more likely for you to develop hyperacusis because it inflames the inner ear? Whereas hearing loss is progressive and thus not inflammatory. Seems like I'm completely wrong based on other replies but I don't know why I had a disconnect in thinking that.

15. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think you are right that sudden hearing loss would be more acutely inflammatory but it shouldn't affect whether FX-322 regrows hair cells and that was @sensualmosquito's worry.

16. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I don't think whether you get hyperacusis comes down to sudden vs gradual onset - my onset of hyperacusis/noxacusis was gradual. I think those of us who were predisposed to developing hyperacusis would have developed it with either a gradual or sudden hearing damage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I don't disagree with the theory that a single acoustic shock could cause hyperacusis.

The theory that your ear gets inflamed from an acoustic shock seems fairly plausible and also fairly logical. However I also think that repeated impact from loud noise will also actually cause inflammation and can probably also cause hyperacusis.

The fact is that you can inflame your body from a single action such as straining your calf muscle whilst turning playing soccer or you can inflame your calf muscle from too much running on it over the course of a game of soccer...

It is therefore possible that if hyperacusis is caused by inflammation, it could be caused by both a single and repeat exposure to loud noise(s). This is because you could probably inflame your cochlear(s) either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @FGG do you think that if FX-322 is successful, then other companies will join the research for further hearing regeneration, to directly compete with what Frequency Therapeutics is working on?

19. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Perhaps this is slightly different but I recall the 2015 Johns Hopkins paper on noxacusis stating that even progressive, gradual damage can increase levels of ATP in the cochlea - the ATP is suspected to possibly be what causes pain, as it leaks from damaged OHCs and surrounding support cells.

"Such immediate rupture of individual hair cells might occur in vivo. More commonly, however, acoustic stress progressively damages OHCs, leading to their eventual death, and is known to increase ATP concentration in cochlear fluids in vivo."

https://www.pnas.org/content/112/47/14723

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      They already are. Otonomy has a drug in pre-clinical that addresses "severe hearing loss" so they are targeting more severe loss it sounds like. What their method entails is unknown but hopefully more info will be out soon.

Akouos also has a drug in pre-clinical but for now they are focused on genetic deafness.

• Like Like x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yes thanks for your response as always. I'm wondering do you think there would be more companies (not just 2 more), like a dozen or so... for example like we have many types of pain med companies and manufacturers...

22. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Wondering if these are truly exciting times for sensorineural hearing loss/tinnitus or if it'll wind up being the age-old "5 years away from a cure."

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Almost for sure there are but we won't hear about them until they are about to start trials. It's still a new field.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      For sure:

e.g., Drug delivery to treat hearing loss

25. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      The issue is that if a pharma company comes up with a successful treatment, they will obtain a patent which will allow them to have exclusive use of that treatment for 20 years. Therefore this means that a competitor cannot copy their treatment during this time. Thus any other treatments in this space will have to be novel in either their approach or their pharmaceutical make up too.

The Nasonex spray (which provides relief from sinus/polyp breathing problems) is a good example of the effects of how a patent influences medicine manufacturing. Many companies could copy this medicine, however they could not make it in a way which did not infringe on the patent. Thus for years Nasonex was the only manufacturer and the price was high. Recently this patent expired and more companies started making their own version and this means more options.

I think that a situation similar to the Nasonex situation is likely with medicines treating hearing matters. Unless pharma companies can come up with like 10 different ways to achieve the same outcome, there is likely to be a limit as to how many companies can offer treatment at this time. There is also the other negative impost of having to put the medicine through the trial process too. I cannot see pharma companies being keen to invest big money on coming up with a medicine to compete with those already in the market unless they truly believe that their treatment will provide better results.

Thus I strongly believe that there will be only a few companies offering treatment now and obviously many more shall make entry into the market after the patents start to expire. Having the patent expired means pharma companies can quite often bypass a lot of the expensive entry costs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pink Floyd
      I would not be surprised that by 2025, in the aftermath of the release of FX-322, a year or two prior, the delivery will be successfully modified to treat all frequencies, thereby, finally curing sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus that is caused by this type of hearing loss. What a wonderful thought if I may say so, and very realistic.

• Like Like x 2
    27. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      The pessimist in me agrees, but at the same time I can't help but get excited by FX-322.

I didn't get this feeling from Lenire at all.

September seemed to take forever to come around, but now waiting until mid-2021 for the results is excruciating to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It‘s an exciting time for regenerative medicine for the inner ear.

But as of today, we still have no insight what exactly happened with Novartis Atoh1, with Audion LGR-5 or with Frequency Therapeutics' FX-322 trials.

Just imagine if there was a single treatment capable of regenerating outer or inner hair cells, the field would explode. Almost all of the „inner ear“ focused companies have a hair cell regeneration program in their pipeline.

Further there has been so many discoveries in the last few years that it‘s likely that some day we will have a robust way to treat sensorineural hearing loss.

29. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      I also wouldn't mind people slowing down with posting in this thread and do so only when new information actually comes up. I don't think this is the place for discussing things like stock trades as I remember seeing here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      FX-322 is probably the most exciting prospect in the hearing field so there's bound to be a lot of speculations plus questions and answers that people may have whilst we wait for new information.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1