Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Oh, I totally agree with you over the long-term. I'm speaking to expectations on what the drug we're talking about today is being positioned for. They're also speaking simply on what is known about the Phase 1/2.

If they show results that say the 4X dose group in the Phase 2A saw improvements down the 4 kHz or lower; the communications will change dramatically.

The best business case for FX-322 is to get the product producing revenue in its current state, even if it can't restore hearing completely. Having true cash flow gives them the ability to reinvest in the product development and expand into other hearing loss - related issues.

Lucchino has said that they intend for the drug to restore all hearing. I think it's just a matter of time (and money).

• Like Like x 4
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I was hoping that the new hair cells would be as good as new and would only wear out at the same rate as real hair cells. Maybe I'm being over optimistic?

Also tagging @FGG.

3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think @Diesel is throwing out a theoretical possibility. I haven't seen signs that are more prone to loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wish they ran these trials in Australia. I'd be all over them in an instant. Heck I'd even think about flying into the U.S. to take part in a trial but I suspect that I wouldn't be eligible as a non-US citizen.

5. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      If that happens I'll be orgasmic.

May have to sell body parts or my soul to afford the drug though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    6. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, correct. They probably are like new hair cells and wear at the same rate. But, as we know FX-322 will only replace damaged or missing cells. So, it's likely that some "worn" but not damaged cells will still be scattered throughout the population of new hair cells.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Phase 2a is done enrolling. By all accounts, the next trial will likely be worldwide.

8. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      We are absolutely on the same page then. :D I think the money factor is a relevant point because being able to sell FX-322 as soon as possible means that they can generate the required money to reinvest in the drug dose/delivery element of their work.

This would be a smart investment strategy since Frequency Therapeutics can then expand their operations and treatment candidates. This will obviously mean more sales and more revenue, thus delivering bigger financial returns to their investors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. ThomasRobert

ThomasRobert Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      • Informative Informative x 2
    10. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is also why I think the price will NOT be outrageous for the drug. The volume strategy (fair price, large market willing to pay) is going to fare better for fueling ongoing research.

Besides, a large portion of the buyers of the 1.0 drug will be back for the revised version anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The biggest question I would like an answer to is whether those with a normal audiogram like myself (up to 8 kHz) with no detectable sign of hearing loss can go and get a dose of FX-322 to resolve their tinnitus.

Tinnitus is more prevalent than hearing loss and I'm assuming it bothers more people generally speaking, I know hearing loss is not nice to suffer from, but I have seen many people deal with it, and I have gone through the depressive stages with it myself.

Now I know FX-322 is a drug for hearing loss. But given the complexity of tinnitus, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic that this could be the 'cure' we're all hoping for. Even a reduction by 50% I would pay thousands for.

My dream is once these phase 2 results are released, that all the participants had their tinnitus gone. How magical would that be?

But after reading about tinnitus over the years it's appearing the odds are not in our favour.

Sorry for negativity, I just want this to work. My tinnitus is getting me down. Just rings non-stop and it's relentless.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe. But they also need someone focusing on maximizing their investors' money, and working on production deals. Not to mention having plans for utilizing the "bonus" payments from Astellas. Board Members usually are involved for their independence and unique ability to get the company access to certain goals, maintain stability, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I reckon that you are absolutely right.

I absolutely cannot see Frequency Therapeutics charge crazy amounts for FX-322 considering their regular comparisons to the hearing aid market and also the fact that there will be people wanting further treatment when the revised dose does become available.

Also if Frequency Therapeutics does provide FX-322 to emerging markets like Thailand and charges a higher price for it to be obtained in America, I can potentially see American consumers become annoyed and even consider nipping off for a holiday in Thailand to get the treatment done lol. Therefore I think it will be a reasonable price in all markets where FX-322 will be provided.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FX-322 is not a cure for anything.

It is a treatment for hearing loss. Tinnitus is likely experienced as a symptom of hearing loss, in particular the loss of OHCs/IHCs.

If FX-322 treats those lost OHCs/IHCs by restoring them, then the symptom should be reduced as well.

This is the only explanation why some Phase 1/2 patients claimed their tinnitus improved.

I do not expect FX-322 to bring anyone’s TFI score in the Phase 2a to zero. But, it stands to reason that we may see some significant improvement. And that’s better than what we have today.

I would expect to see a relationship between improvements in the HF audiogram and a reduction in TFI score. That would be enough to prove that it’s the IHCs/OHCs causing the problem.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    15. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I'm unclear on if the 10 dB improvement we saw with some participants is significant or not? So it isn't as meaningful for profound hearing loss because 10 dB restored is not very significant, but it could be extremely beneficial to mild-moderate hearing loss + tinnitus?

16. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I think that there has been a revision regarding not only the theories about tinnitus but also what is known about it too.

I don't think that the causes of tinnitus and/or ways of treating it are as complex as what has previously been thought. I specifically refer to the fact that there has been good progress made with medicine that has shown to reduce the impact of tinnitus. Furthermore, I think that there are also a few more indicators that tinnitus could be treated simply by only needing to recover hair cells etc.

I would note that FX-322 might not provide complete tinnitus relief. Although FX-322 has anecdotal accounts indicating that tinnitus has improved after administering it, it might not completely cure tinnitus. I have this view because the information to date does indicate that there is also benefit provided by synapse treatments and that the synapse treatments might have a better effect on tinnitus. I think that this is evidenced through the fact that treatments targeting synapses like the Hough Ear Institute Pill are also claiming to improve tinnitus, and that there are people like you with no measurable hearing loss but who regardless have tinnitus.

17. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      10 dB is significant regardless. It can also mean that the patient getting FX-322 may actually move from moderate to mild hearing loss for example.

I think that the more critical focus should be on what were the improvements like in the very high frequencies and also what the benefit was with repeat dosing. I certainly think that there would have been bigger gains which were larger than 10 dB made in the very high frequencies. Furthermore, if the evidence is accurate, I think that there might also again be a bigger benefit gained through repeated dosing. I think that there has been some fairly positive evidence that there is a bigger benefit from repeat dosing because the first dose allows FX-322 to activate the regeneration process and then the subsequent doses provide the effect needed to allow growth.
      This is a very interesting but very clever and very accurate way of explaining what FX-322 actually does. Definitely not the way which I had thought about FX-322, however it makes absolute logical sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Your hearing aids really cost $13,000?

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      That is really ridiculous. Mine won't cost anywhere near that amount and I am in Australia where the costs of them are notoriously over priced. I am pretty sure that if people are paying that amount for hearing aids then the benefit provided by FX-322 even at $5000 per ear will smash them out of the park in terms of performance and value.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pink Floyd
      If your tinnitus is caused by noise-induced hearing loss it would have to be derived from those high frequencies from 8-20 kHz I would think. IF that is the case, FX-322 would likely be of substantial benefit. An extended audiogram would indicate this prognosis. It's a question with no answer until next Spring 2021, but hope and positive anticipation is greater than ever before - hang in there!

As for FX-322 being a cure to sensorineural hearing loss through regenerating outer and inner hair cells in the higher frequencies (and soon, lower frequencies) - it has proven to restore clarity in speech, word recognition scores, and speech-in-noise scores with clinical significance. With my mild-moderate SNHL and associated tinnitus, I consider this a cure. Clarity bolds well.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    21. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      If they can get 10 dB improvement in multiple frequencies it might be significant for some patients, but 10 dB only in the 8 kHz frequency is really not that great. Now, improvements in ultra high frequencies might result in additional benefit, but it’s not entirely clear yet how that works. Audiologists don’t test those frequencies, hearing aids don’t cover them. What we ultimately need is something that has the ability to improve the entire 250-8000 Hz range.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      If the first formulation can penetrate below 8000 Hz due to multiple doses, that would have massive implications on the hearing world. If not, treating high frequencies is still a game changer as high and low frequencies would be able to be helped at least in some regard (hearing aids, FX-322, etc.) We know a reformulation will be made to get deeper into the cochlea at some point. The company has expressed their interest in doing so. Right now, they are focused on delivering strong Phase 2a results that warrant Breakthrough Therapy designation from the FDA. If that’s granted as I expect it to be, we will be that much closer to reducing the severity of our tinnitus affliction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let’s expand on FX-322 showing the 10 -15 dB improvement at 8 kHz. What they are showing is the edge of cochlea where FX-322 was concentrated enough to be effective in one dose.

What it seems they are showing without saying is: if the drug is working from the highest frequencies down to 8 kHz in one dose, it likely caused more than 10db of improved sensitivity in the higher range.

So, it stands to reason FX-322 did cause improvements of at least 10 dB at multiple frequencies: 10 kHz, 12 kHz, 16 kHz.

I know it is unrealistic, but it would be great to see an improved standard audiogram with more frequencies tested, i.e: 5 kHz, 7 kHz, etc.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Of course we should stay broadly on topic... And in this category it is or should be about research -- well that's the title of it.

But a bit of circumspection would be required. The heavyweights such as 100 Hz, tommyd87 et al. are simply tops when analysing spiral ganglion nuclii and we awe-struck rustics can only gaze on in amazement.

The really heavy duty stuff is in the academic inner circles or maybe in the FREQ and OTIC boardrooms.

But it has to be translated down the line to the not so well initiated. Like us.

How the companies are reacting and how the public will react, I believe are or can be of benefit to us all. Just for example: @Bakkers from Holland was talking of organizing a trip over to Stateside with some friends so as to take part in a trial. Well, if you have to do a 14-day COVID-19 quarantine in some hotel somewhere... then there's the flight costs too... it might be much more practical if Frequency Therapeutics or Astellas did some trials in Europe.

Duh, I hope they have the people in place who know how to inject the inner ear tympanic membrane.
      A brilliant scoop, right on the ball! :)

25. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      The problem is that even if it does restore hearing in those ultra high frequencies, it doesn’t help you get normal hearing. Most people have some degree of ultra high frequency hearing loss and do fine. Sure, I would take it, it’s better than nothing. But it doesn’t come close to restoring hearing in the 250-8000 Hz range.

By the way, in a standard hearing test, they test every frequency between 250-8000 Hz. So on the chart you can see where you’re at at 3000, 5000, 7000 Hz etc.

26. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      They don't test every frequency. That's thousands of frequencies, you'd be there all week. Or did you mean they test every kHz, i.e. you had 3000 Hz, 5000 Hz and 7000 Hz specifically tested?

• Like Like x 2
    27. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I know Frequency Therapeutics is saying that the drug can get to 8 kHz, but originally they said 6 kHz, didn't they?

Do we, and they, still think it can get down to 6 kHz, and that they are now saying 8 kHz just to make sure they don't fall foul of the rules and regulations, i.e. playing on the safe side?

28. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I mean that a normal audiogram roughly shows where you are at at every frequency between 250 Hz and 8000 Hz. So yes, including 3000 Hz, 5000 Hz and 7000 Hz.

29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It doesn't though. The lines on an audiogram are to show a pattern. It doesn't indicate every frequency was measured. Each time you press the button, you are indicating when you hear one single frequency.

30. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      You’re referring to a picture they have in their corporate presentation. I believe it showed the drug getting to a little under 8000 Hz (about 6500 Hz I think). I think that’s just an estimate, extrapolated from their Phase 1/2 results. Frequency Therapeutics hopes multiple injections will result in the drug improving more frequencies. We’ll see what happens. If not, they have a problem on their hands. At least as a hearing loss treatment.