Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's under "detailed description":

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02132130

"The study will evaluate the safety, tolerability, and potential efficacy of CGF166 and the associated delivery procedures in patients with severe-to-profound unilateral or bilateral hearing loss. Eligible patients are required to have documented, non-fluctuating hearing loss. Part A and Part B enrollment is complete. Part C enrollment is open."

2. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Interesting.

I know that @serendipity1996 reported that they were looking at redoing the treatment at some point and as a result I wonder whether this relates to that.

The other thing is it could be an error.

3. kiki

kiki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Is there a Phase 2 element in Phase 2b / 3?
      Isn't the purpose of Phase 2 to study more effective dosing methods?

4. Princebeyel
      Depressed

Princebeyel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otoxin
      Is this similar to what FX-322 is doing?

5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      They are doing phase 2a now with multiple dose cohorts.

6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Not really, no.

7. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Completely different method.

8. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      More of the medicine would definitely go further into the ear. Essentially there is no way where Frequency Therapeutics could do a larger single dose without retrialling it for safety.

I think that the lab work demonstrates larger dosing could be effective, especially because it was shown to be the case in the rat trial which will obviously need less medicine than a person will. I think that the 4 doses in one sitting is definitely a good way which we can see Frequency Therapeutics get around the FDA safety retesting requirements which they would be stuck with if they went with just a single dose.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      Does anyone have extreme anxiety to the point it's affecting your sleeping and day-to-day activities or is it just me? I don't know how much longer I can take this. Even if they release the results in May, when would the next trial start? Can anyone venture a guess?

• Like Like x 1
    10. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      A thought occurred to me today. In one of Otonomy's press releases, they mentioned that they had "successfully escalated through three dose levels totaling 24 patients and have nearly completed enrollment of patients in the high dose cohort" for OTO-413. I may be interpreting this incorrectly, but it sounds like they're doing their Phase I/II dosage testing incrementally in groups.

I wonder if this is standard and what Frequency Therapeutics is doing too. 96 patients (their original goal) would break-up nicely into 3 groups of 32. Each of these groups could have 8 placebo patients. If they were to do it this way, then it would mean they have completed the first dosage group (1 dose of FX-322), and that the other two groups were still in progress (2 doses and 4 doses).

The end result of the study would be the same, but doing it this way would have the following consequences:

* Interim results would not be possible, as the most important group would not finish until the end of the study.
      * The study would have to enroll a number of patients near its set goal of 96.

Could this be how Frequency Therapeutics' study is setup? If so, it would mean that only recently has anymore been given 4 doses of FX-322.

[1] https://investors.otonomy.com/news-...rts-second-quarter-2020-financial-results-and

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Assignment is randomized. It’s possible they could release an interim analysis, but those are more likely in multi-year Phase 3s.

It’s much more likely for them to release information/results of an independent short-term study on the effects of FX-322 on age-related or severe hearing loss.

It would be fairly straightforward to recruit a small group of patients for the above hearing losses and study how FX-322 affects their hearing after 90 days.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Good point. Maybe that’s why those earlier patients did not notice improvements as they may have only got 1 dose of FX-322 and the other 3 shots were placebo, or no FX-322 dose at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      That was a pretty low information anecdote which:

A) could have been placebo
      B) didn't provide proof
      C) provided no audiogram info
      D) reported this right after when the effects may take weeks to months after injection to be realized.

In birds, natural regeneration takes 4 weeks:

http://www.cochlea.eu/en/research-lines/regeneration

I wouldn't try to interpret that any which way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Everyone gets 4 doses of *something* in the FX-322 trial. From none to 4 doses of drug. If it's truly randomized, there wouldn't be a pattern except that you get more drug at 4 weeks than 1 week if you are part of the 4 dose cohort.

Otonomy are perhaps measuring each dose versus placebo because it is their first trial (and not second as Frequency Therapeutics' is), and they have less idea of optimal dosing and need to test each dose vs placebo. I can't think of another reason to do it that way since it is less randomized.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It wasn’t just one anecdote though. There was another which was mentioned in this thread.

If @patorjk's theory is true then the patients that they just recruited recently could be the ones who are getting 4 doses of FX-322.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I think that the trial method being done by Otonomy for the OTO-413 trial is actually also the same as what FX-322 did in their first trial, though the reality is that Otonomy is likely to get a better result from the phase 1 trial with OTO-413 since synapses seem much easier to deal with.

Otonomy is doing a multi dose trial like they need to with safety requirements and are then trying to see that the big dose provides bigger benefit. Then in phase 2 they will probably test OTO-413 to see that it does indeed work effectively with the larger group of people so it is eventually able to be released.

17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Frequency Therapeutics is definitely not doing dose escalation this trial. I have the paperwork from when i applied and it outlined exactly how the dosing schedule was. I posted it before but I can look for it again and repost tomorrow.

I forgot about the 2nd anecdote. The same still applies.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      No.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Randomised trial. There’s as big of a chance of the first patient having gotten 4 doses of placebo as the last patient.

I am pretty positive that the only time dose escalation is done is in the phase 1 trial when you are actually required to show that the treatment is safe at different doses.

20. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If you're not getting direct help for your anxiety, go get it. If you're getting anxious over the possible results of the FX-322 trials, maybe you should take a break from this thread. If you can't do that, check in once a week. Obsessing over it won't make things happen any quicker and it may be making you more miserable. There's no chance of you missing the news when it's released. (Sincere advice given with good intentions).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Why not? If Frequency Therapeutics gets good outcomes from their trial, why wouldn’t they be pushing to get FX-322 released ASAP? Especially when Frequency Therapeutics has got the chance to be the first to release their treatment and will actually have a significant advantage over Otonomy etc by having their treatment out for a year or so without any actual competition?
      I think that this is entirely possible, especially if Frequency Therapeutics can get FDA approval and can get FX-322 made and out to the relevant parties.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if Frequency Therapeutics pushed for a quick release because they will have an advantage over others by having their treatment released first. Also even if there was a slight delay I could still see Frequency Therapeutics pushing for FX-322 to come out ASAP as I don’t think that there would be so much forward planning being done or even consideration of organising things like pricing if it isn’t going to be something which isn’t going to need to be resolved in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Simply safety. Seeing the FDA rules relating to clinical trials, there is a requirement that you escalate the dose sizes to prove that the treatment is safe at different strengths. Otonomy can consequently also test the treatment effect and benefit at the same time. The logic indicates that they know the big dose is best but they too may actually get an unexpected outcome from a smaller dose.

23. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Because best case scenario is that Frequency Therapeutics and FDA agree that the next trial is 'pivotal'. Even if that trial is no longer than phase 2a and takes about as long to organise, it's at least a year. Phase 2a enrolled its last participant almost 2 years after phase 1b finished.

24. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      You can actually release a medicine and also run the pivotal phase at the same time. This has been demonstrated before with other compassionate access medicines and treatments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Carl LeBel said that if the results warranted, they would discuss the possibility of the next trial being pivotal with the FDA. He didn't say anything about a possible release of the drug after this trial. Compassionate use could happen now if Frequency Therapeutics wanted to make it available. That's not the same as releasing the drug.

Do you really think there's a chance that you could go to an ENT in Melbourne in December next year and get FX-322 when they finish their first efficacy trial in May? Hope you're right then.

26. Serouj

Serouj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced SNHL
      You're right, but FX-322 isn't any medicine. I don't think that they would take any chances unless they are 100% ready to launch it into the market. It's the first of its kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. kiki

kiki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      That was the case.
      The results of Phase 2a that are currently underway are important now.

And we don't know if the next phase will be Phase 2b, Phase 3, or Phase 2b / 3, and we don't know what it will be like right now.

It is important to move forward step by step. In this marathon, I will accumulate short-distance goals and finish the final goal...

I can't see the goal, but I can feel it.

The place where you can listen to your discussions gives you the energy to run without dents.

28. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'll believe it when I see it.

No way is this drug hitting the market next year. I would love to be wrong though.

• Agree Agree x 6
    29. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      While I am hopeful that Frequency Therapeutics will allow compassionate use after the Phase 2A; I am unclear of the strategy.

Phase 3 will still need filled with viable recruits, who may or may not receive placebo; while compassionate use gives them direct access to the drug.

How will Frequency Therapeutics provide access via compassionate use while also committing to filling a Phase 3 in a reasonable timeframe? Will they require that patients that are fit for the Phase 3 be directed to the clinical trial and denied compassionate use.

Will compassionate use be extremely strict where only the absolute, verifiable worst cases get access to the drug?

• Like Like x 1
    30. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The only way they accept compassionate use and not have a recruitment delay is to have a very large international pool for phase 3, but I think it's possible.

Otherwise, their trial might mostly include people who couldn't afford the drug and would have at least some delay.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1