Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Frequency Therapeutics to Present at Cowen & Company 37thAnnual Healthcare Conference
      http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170301005389/en/

“With the recent publication in Cell Reports of a study by our co-founders validating the Frequency Progenitor Cell Activation Platform, we are rapidly advancing toward in-human trials targeting cellular regeneration within the inner ear to restore healthy tissue and reverse hearing loss. We expect to be in the clinic within the next 18 months. We are looking forward to presenting at the Cowen & Company Healthcare Conference to educate new audiences about the Frequency story and platform.”

Maybe we'll know more next week.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Thanks for the article. I think everyone is looking too deeply into the 18 month thing. Its a year and a half. That's a nice round number. It could be 18 months two months from now or 12 months two months from now. They are going to aggressively pursue this though. They know Novartis has their hearing loss drug and it is hit or miss right now from the info we currently have, but probably a miss. If they can get this to market even with a 25 db improvement, its worth billions of dollars. That's motivation.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      This looks amazing. First trials in 18 months?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. GuiConfortin

GuiConfortin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 4th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I´m willing to be a guinea pig for that!! I´ll try anything to stop this damn T and H!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Guys please read other threads before posting... This has been posted and discussed a dozen times and belong to the Frequency Therapeutics thread...

7. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      Most people dont think about it, most people get very hype when they see something like this :) and you cant really blame them for that :D

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is really positive news. I missed this. I'm in the US and I might be a good candidate for this trial. I am 50 db loss under 1k and 90-110db loss over 1k. I might be the perfect candidate. Even as bad as 50db is though, it is still huge and between hearing aides and some serious lip reading I get by ok. To lose my left ear completely would be a huge step back. I would guess they would want someone in the 80db loss range for under 1k.

My only concern is that they could be testing different volumes of liquid injected into the ear to determine what works best. This is where it gets tricky as too little or too much could have the opposite affect. This is something I believe could have been a factor in the Novartis trial and maybe it was the difference between people getting better hearing and people getting worst hearing after the procedure.

Either way, the more and more I read, the more I want to sign up for this trial. Thanks to everyone for the posts and information. This thread is really helpful.

• Like Like x 3
    9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Stupid idea. They know there is a multi billion dollar demand for their success regardless of having or not having a few digits on their twitter feed.

11. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Well, it's sure as hell doesn't hurt to follow them, no?

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Correction! No, that was GenVec with their foot and mouth vaccine. The fact that Frequency Therapeutics also wants to move into other areas still remains.

Forgive me for bumping the thread! I just had to come back here and correct myself! :)

It's becoming difficult to keep track anymore who does what products and when. I have to get better organized. I'm not just saying it to get your hopes up, there really is a lot of activity going on. This is always a good thing when it comes to patients. (y)

I know of 12 companies thus far that are working on some kind of treatment for the inner ear. If it's not about regeneration, it's about protection. If it's not about hearing, it's about balance. I would say it's about bloody time! Because the lack of medical treatments in the field of otology has been allowed to go on for far too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Agreed! I say let's give them some digital love! :love: Group hug! :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    14. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I follow them on Linkedin ! Not many followers there...

• Like Like x 1
    15. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    16. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      The cochlea is the size of a fingernail lodged deep in your skull, oh it's also wrapped in bone, a bony structure called the cochlea. If you think were going to get in there and find a cure you really must be having a miraculous life! Miracles, I don't believe in em.

17. JRchief
      Caffeine

JRchief Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss / Stress
      Internet trolls, we don't need them. :troll: More importantly, we don't need the negativity. The human body is a complex machine. Curing hearing loss isn't a question of IF but WHEN.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah like he said, as is 100,000 years from now.. Miraculous to happen next year? Yes.

19. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      Every time I open this forums I get more depressed, I'm feeling very sorry for us, while the time passes the less I see the light, the only thing we have is speculation and guessing, nobody knows what they are really doing, they been saying human trials in 18 months from last year, when the 18 months supposed to start? This year or next year or in 5 years, who knows.

20. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      In case you didn't know, you can ignore him by clicking on his name and then on the Ignore button. There's no need to waste time with (bad) trolls like this guy.

For God's sake, stop taking everything literally. It's a round number to make a press release easier. It could be 15 o 20 months. The point is they are fully committed to trial their approach soon.

• Like Like x 2
    21. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I don't see where the miracle is. They inject a liquid drug in your middle ear, and some of it reaches the cochlea. Finding the right drug is the challenge, not reaching the inner ear.

Put some neomycin drops in your middle ear and tell me about it. You will go deaf but at least, you'll know that the cochlea is easy to reach like that ;)

• Like Like x 3
    22. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Damaging the cochlea is a lot easier than repairing it apparently.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Judging by what Libermann told me it's entirely possible to lose synaptic connections without haircell loss and vice versa. This to me explains why people with"perfect"audiograms suffer from T and H whilst others with profound hearing loss have no T whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      This is exactly what I recieved from Libermann as well. If his theory is correct then it's not a hair cell loss responsible for T but synaptopathy (loss of synaptic connections) is the one to blame.

25. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I bet he is secretly hopeful! :D He just got a bad attitude/habit/syndrome.

Yes, the now famous HHL! :) It's no understatement when I say that HHL is probably one of the biggest discoveries in this field of research in the last 10 years.

I interpret that as if you two exchanged some emails? Would you care to share the bits that support the possibility of synaptic loss without hair cell loss?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Miracles next year, or the year after, or the year after. Maybe if all goes well a 25db improvement in the next 6 years or so if this trial is successful. If you follow the Novartis trial some people gained some of their hearing back. Its possible they might have gained 25db in some of the frequencies. If you call this a miracle then it was yesterday not tomorrow.

I'm not overly optimistic, but my posts are usually pretty realistic. We get good news and bad news and even though we are still a ways away it seems like more good news is coming out than bad.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't call that a miracle.

• Funny Funny x 1
    28. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      image.png image.png image.png
      He mentioned it rather briefly in one of our exchanges via email so I took the time to do my own research on the subject and found that it is not a myth, you can lose haircells without heavy synapse loss but this also works the other way round too, you can lose synapses without losing its corresponding haircell OR the the two can occur alongside one another.

To me at least this lifts a huge question mark over noise induced T and or H and hearing loss and is also why I heavily agree with Libermans findings and I'll explain why.

We see many people suffering from hearing loss with no T and we always ask why is that the case? Your degree of hearing loss does not equate how severe your T or H is so why is that? If T and H are a result of hearing loss then literally every person on this planet would have T but they don't and of course this just adds more confusion to an already confusing condition, but I think Liberman has found the answer. To me it points at another factor one not typically accounted for by most audiologists and that's a secondary hearing loss not currently detectable i.e hidden hearing loss. People with hearing loss and no T simply haven't lost their synapses, they remain intact and how does Liberman and Co know this? Simple, Cochlear implants.
      A Cochlear implant simply would not work if these synapses or fibres were missing or damaged but they do work and that's a huge clue, if haircell loss meant synapse loss then a profoundly deaf person wouldn't be able to hear with a CI but they do! This shows that even after haircell death these fibres can remain intact regardless of the loss and I've read quite a few papers that have observed this during studies.

Then we move onto someone with perfect hearing but yet have T and H after a rock concert, all hearing tests show up normal and everybody scratches their head and blames the brain but rather simply these people have suffered a synaptic trauma(my term)and not a haircell trauma.
      Their haircells recovered from the noise exposure but it's underlying synapses did not and this is where T generates from.This is not a myth either(see picture)haircells can survive a trauma but lose synaptic connections to the brain.

It's also entirely possible to lose both from an acoustic trauma so in summary,

-Normal hearing loss without T is haircell loss with no damage to underlying neurons

-T and H are a result of damage to these underlying neurons or synaptopathy

-The two can happen independently or occur alongside one another

To me this unraveled the mystery behind T and H, Liberman could be wrong of course but I heavily doubt it, it's too logical to ignore in my opinion.

29. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

How would you explain when some people lower or diminish T when they use hearing aids?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      Who said such stupid things, hearing aids never lower nobody tinnitus or diminish, the only thing hearing aids do is masking the noise for those who have mild tinnitus, unilateral and not hyperacusis, after a year or more using this crap because it was mild they get habituated and ho the hearing aids works, they confused.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1