Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Good to see improvement in TFI are still being monitored.

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I think people hold these views because so many were getting waaaaaay too ahead of themselves in the early days of this thread (there was constant cure talk). When anyone tried to reign in the expectations somewhat, they would be jumped upon and told to stop being negative, etc. The cure mentality became almost cult-like and that's why you're still seeing over-expectations to this day. Frequency Therapeutics didn't help matters, either, because their early promotional materials were a little overly optimistic as well, in my opinion.

People became too emotionally involved with the outcomes of the trials, and this led to a dramatic disappointment. The current goals are far more realistic, but I think it's unlikely that it will help with long-term chronic tinnitus (just a personal opinion).

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      How Frequency Therapeutics communicates is different from say Otonomy...

They seem / seemed very confident. Otonomy & co more cautious.

People’s high expectations were also a result of that overly positive tone in communication imho.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013 initial, worsened 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initial Music Gig, Worsened Cinema or possible covid
      I'm sorry though it's not really people getting ahead of themselves. Did you hear the interviews with Carl, do you see the Twitter feed from FREQ? They don't exactly market themselves by saying that we are hardly going to do anything, that the goal is that we have really minuscule improvements for a small subset of people.

So if anyone has the wrong idea of what FREQ is putting out, than the blame of that lies on FREQ and I would argue to say that if this statement is true then they are basically misleading their investors as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Back in the day people on here wanted to petition Trump to get this drug...

And even now, Frequency’s monthly presentation still displays this drug targeting the 20,000 to 6,000 Hz area of the cochlea. I would be happy with getting PTA improvements in that range, but they haven’t shown any.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My comment above was in relation to Diesel's question of why so many have unrealistic expectations. If you were around in the earlier days, you'd have seen how stupidly over-the-top people were getting, and I think this feeds into the expectations of today. There was talk of going to Washington and stuff, to get it expedited, and this was before any trial results were even in. It was ridiculous, and extremely naive, but it set a trend in motion and a degree of expectation amongst the community.
      They went overboard with their press releases, no question about it, and they did this whilst the directors were dumping millions in stock. There's no law against it (it's a grey area), but it wasn't a good look and is arguably unethical. They all sold out near the top and left the retail investors holding the bag.
      That was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      Please show me an example of someone here being "jumped on" for being "too negative."

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tau
      In pain

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      My damage is only in the high frequency region, so this would be a godsend.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There's a quote here :D

In all seriousness, though, it happened all the time. You would have to read through the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That @Bobb77 guy was pretty much jumped on when he tried to warn us about fishy stock movements a month before results.

It really doesn’t matter and is human nature to defend your only hopes for a normal future.

I always wish there was good news when I visit the research threads.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    11. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I should have listened to "The Bobb". :cry:

• Agree Agree x 5
    12. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      The reason why he was jumped on is because he said stuff like “I have a rich gf” and stuff like that. He comes across as a snob.

• Funny Funny x 3
    13. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      He was an easy target I’ll give you that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It's a silly thing to be arguing over really but anyone who's been here for a long time can remember people being stomped on for being too 'negative'. The greatest stomper of course was JohnAdams. Don't ask me to trawl through 600 pages to find examples.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      The marketing was different back then than it is now.

Stanford Cure for Hearing Loss... A cure for hearing loss in 5 years. Then it became a cure for hearing loss in 10 years. Then everyone came out and said, hey this is a lot harder than we thought. Then the trials GenVec started and everyone started getting optimistic. Then they failed.

Then the FX-322 trial started and everyone got optimistic again. And the outcome is still not clear. Now most of the people that were positive have turned negative after years of promising lab studies turning into nothing. Doing searches now, the word "cure" is no longer used anywhere as it relates to hearing loss.

16. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      At the same time, I can’t really blame people on here looking to get their hopes up instead of information.

Treatment for inner ear hearing loss still consists of hearing aids and CIs, basically technologies that have been around for 50-60 years that do nothing for the underlying problem. It’s like aspirin for migraine. People are pissed off about that, and with good reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      And yet here we are with a better understanding of how the inner ear works every day and multiple companies pursuing treatments. Maybe we’ll get hearing protection drugs first - of which the regeneration field will benefit tremendously in terms of drug delivery - but if we can believe the scientists hearing regeneration will become a reality someday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The irony here of course is that we've come full circle. Back then we were trying to keep people's expectations to a realistic and probabilistic level because the talk of a cure being imminent (or terms that inferred that) were happening far too frequently based on the in vitro and animal studies.

Now some are wondering why expectations are so high? It's the complete opposite of how it used to be, but at least the discussions are based on reality and not fantasy. Some of the stuff that was discussed was way out there and demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of how the pharmaceutical industry works, and how the world works, for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Bobb77
      Sleepy

Bobb77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      I can't remember talking about my girlfriend, especially not about a rich girlfriend. My girlfriend is rich, yes, enough in kindness and love in spite of my health misery.

And I'm certainly not a snob. I have already done a lot of voluntary work for clubs, I am helpful, my friends describe me as committed and infinitely patient. Although I am an ambitious boss, my employees are loyal and almost ALL 13 of them are friends with me.

I'm not a snob, just a poor guy who wants to get back to his 4/10 tinnitus when he was one of the most relaxed people on this planet here. I just want to banish my 9/10 tinnitus, which haunts me all day.

When some mocked me when I warned that the share price was about to fall, which came shortly afterwards, I didn't mock anyone. No, I'm not a snob. I myself was a damaged investor from the tech stock market bubble 2000, which is why I am more than cautious about daring increases in weak facts.

I would only have saved a few from financial loss if I had been listened to. No, I'm not a snob.

• Like Like x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Point proven.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. UHPTS
      Wishful

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Did you have your friends fill a questionnaire on how they value you?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Many resort to personal attacks when they don't like what someone else is saying.

It's important to have the courage to say it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 7
    23. Damocles
      Festive

Damocles Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Okay, but can we call you The Bobb from now on?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bobb77
      Sleepy

Bobb77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Yes the Damocles!

• Winner Winner x 3
    25. Gorbeh3

Gorbeh3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Exclusion Criteria:

1. Subject has previously been randomized in a FX-322 clinical trial.

Conflicting information?

26. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Communicating on a message board has its advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that you can calm down, gather your thoughts and punch them keys. A disadvantage is that you can't see the person that you're communicating with.

So you could be well-advanced in years and experience and have deep feelings about class and station in society or you could be a teenie-bopper who has little experience of the markets -- or something in between.

But point 1]. When people load up on a risky speculative stock, the stock price rises and the profits begin to look mouth-drooling. But they are only paper profits at this stage. Once the first punter (let's say Bobb) gets cold feet and decides to sell out the stock price begins to tumble. It's understandable or maybe only human that his actions fill the remaining stock-holders with buyers' remorse. But that's the market. But what did you want him to do? Lose along with all the other m.of.o.s (members of ordinary society). He read the tea-leaves right and came out with his ass clean.

2]. I very nearly got in myself and now that I look back, I was being tempted by greed -- and also a sense of duty and solidarity to my fellow cell-mates in the tinnitus community. We all want to break free of this. But the lock-down here made it difficult to locate and converse with a broker about the ramifications of investing ii the US and mask-wearing etc. and to sum the guy up.

3]. The enthusiasm and expert knowledge of some of the posters had me enthralled at how medical technology had progressed. Playing the market looked to me more like a slam-dunk rather than a pump-and-dump. $16 to $55? Sign me in immediately. I'm hoping still that it's something more like the first. We'll all be wiser in a year or two.

4] It's good that someone market savvy is at least talking about other models of investing, such as crowd-funding.

5] There have been some little-noticed but great posts of late. I'll have to look back over for them. But long story short: The notion that reconstructing the inner-ear/cochlea will alleviate tinnitus/hearing loss certainly looks plausible, but it's one big assumption.

It could be that the cochlea takes the first hit from noise/virus/ototoxic agents. But like a billiard ball or snooker ball it travels along the table and hits the next one which hits the next one etc. until finally you've got not only a damaged cochlea, but also a ringing somewhere inside.

What could this snooker ball be? Maybe inflammation, another article today suggests it's to do with declining blood-flow to the brain. It might be progress that some of the scientific community are looking elsewhere.

27. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Well the Bobb77, put my name down for ein Helles bittesschoorn the next time I walk those roads of Bavaria.

28. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Didn’t they say in their press release that they have already given someone a dose? So yeah, they were contacting people before the trial was posted.

29. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      They probably applied but were previously turned away.

30. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Most likely.