Friend's Story: Tinnitus for 12 Years and It Went Overnight 95% Away

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Tanni, Oct 4, 2020.

1. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It can be caused by ototoxic drugs too, just like tinnitus.

2. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I feel for the new mom. Being a new mom with a crying baby and little sleep is one of the most difficult jobs I've had. I can't imagine trying to care for an infant and function like a normal human being with this condition. Like her I didn't use earbuds or headphones.

My husband was very stressed out during the quarantine and yelled for most of the 7 months while he worked from home. I homeschooled our child who is very loud also in a small room and our dog barked constantly. All of those things were out of my control as much as I tried to alleviate them. I repeatedly asked for them to lower the noise level in the house. I asked to keep the dog in a room while we were trying to homeschool during the day. When the neighbor complained about the dog barking, I asked the vet for medication for the dog. My husband became increasingly irate about the riots. I became very stressed about Covid as I am high risk. My husband and in-laws would not follow any precautions with masks or social distancing with my son. Then, one day my child yelled in my ear in the small study where we were homeschooling. It's has been 11 difficult weeks. Essentially I had to send my child back to school.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A lot of people have been experiencing difficulties with COVID-19 and trying to maintain some normality in their life which isn't easy.

Sorry to hear of your situation and hope things start to improve for you soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for sharing @Tanni.

You say your friend also had hyperacusis, yet he never wore earplugs to bars and cinemas. Did he ever have an adverse reaction to that? I have hyperacusis as well, and the thought of going to a cinema or bar (even with earplugs in) sounds unfathomable to me.

When it gets better like that, it must mean whatever causing it was affected in some way... So my guess was it might not have been noise-induced in the first place. It doesn't matter for your friend, and I hope he's enjoying the relative silence!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      No worries @Bartoli.

Even before it improved, I don't think his Hyperacusis was ever as severe as some people's is. I had severe Hyperacusis for a while, and yes, I couldn't have gone anywhere loud without earplugs in.

He describes his Hyperacusis as pain in the ear whenever he hears certain sounds (pain Hyperacusis?), whereas most Hyperacusis seems to be that everything is uncomfortably loud, so not sure if that makes a difference?

I think it doesn't even occur to some people to wear earplugs. He didn't believe in looking on the Internet/going on forums as he was afraid that it would make him more fearful, so although his ear issues bothered him he just sort of carried on as before. Some people's personalities are like that - mine is not unfortunately :).

• Informative Informative x 2
    6. David Not Dave

David Not Dave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      NOV 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi SadMan , hope you are well and have some improvement , is your tinnitus in both ears and if so is one ear louder?

7. David Not Dave

David Not Dave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      NOV 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would call that hyperacusis, I experience it in both ears periodically, it fluctuates but not in sync with my tinnitus.

8. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      @Tanni, how is your friend's tinnitus doing? Is it still 95% improved?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Yes, it is still 95% improved :). He says it's no longer an issue in his life.

Hope you are doing OK :huganimation:

• Like Like x 4
    10. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I'm alright. Hoping I'll get a miracle like that. I'm glad he is doing so well. That's an amazing spontaneous recovery. (y)

• Like Like x 2
    11. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I am glad to hear of his success. I really hope this happens to me. I want my life back.

• Hug Hug x 3