From Silence, to Individual Clicks, to What Sounds Like a Spray — Repeat 24/7

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Timmeh, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Timmeh

Timmeh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My symptom started with what sounded like fast paced, high frequency clicks -- like a spray -- in my right ear when I ran water in the sink to brush my teeth. Opening a cellophane package would also induce the sound in my ear.

Then, after two months, the symptom changed to an unprompted cycle. For 25 seconds there is silence. followed by the onset of an occasional click, which increases at a random pace until there's a spray of them lasting 10 to 20 seconds. The current "spray" sounds the same as the former one.

Since this reoccurs 24/7, I could image that I have a partially obstructed vein in which blood starts to collect (25 secs of silence), then begins to leak out as tiny high velocity droplets, culminating in a spray that gains in intensity as the built-up pressure is relieved. I cannot imagine how this reconciles with the previous version, but it's a fitting description.

I visited an ENT who gave me the basic voice-freq hearing test, speculated for 10 minutes about possible causes, then recommended I find an otologist. To improve the chance that the next doc will recognize what I'm describing, I created a fairly accurate simulation using a metal dog brush bristle, guitar pick, and Adobe Audition (sound editing software). An mp3 of that sim is attached. For most accurate results please listen using earphones

Has anyone here "heard" of this form of tinnitus?

Attached Files:

2. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hmmm...
      No hearing loss up to 16 kHz?
      Did your ENT recommend an MRI?

3. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Compressed nerve, typewriter tinnitus, Carbamazepine trial then if it works MRI or arteries would confirm.

Seems textbook like. I know it's annoying but things could be way worse sound wise.

4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I tried to listen to your file 3 times, but I couldn't hear anything. Maybe I don't have the correct program to open the file. I have typewriter or morse code in one ear that I hear periodically, maybe once or sometimes a few times a day.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timmeh

Timmeh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The simulation is a standard MP3 file, which any audio player can play. Windows 10's default Groove program plays it. It'll play on iPhone and on a Mac, without special software.

• Like Like x 1