GABA Supplements (Including Picamilon)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by John Bacon, May 7, 2012.

1. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi!
      I have been using picamilon för 5 days know. So far it hasn't changed my tinnitus. Very disappointed :/
      Using SNS picamilon 150 mg.

2. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What have you found out about Picamilon? I've been doing a little research and it looks promising.

3. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Has it helped?

4. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello, it's on my to try list for Tinnitus but quite low down. I'm doubtfull it will help as I think something this complex requires more then simply taking some pills. However I don't know that for sure so if you try it please let us know how you got on!

5. mat

mat Member

Picamilon 150mg is enough per day?

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I tried Picamilon 225mg a day for a month. No change in my T.

7. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No, it did not help. Picamlion did not change my tinnitus. I used 150 mg every day.

8. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Lyrica or pregabalin works through GABA but does not actually bind to it. It is a neuropathic pain med, and also makes you want to sleep, both of which help me out. My tinnitus has got a lot better the last several days, but I am doing a combination of things: constant rainfall sounds via MP3, CR Neuromodulation via MP3 for past week, plus on Lyrica. My tinnitus has gone from "where is my nembutal" to "please bring on some more work". I do not guarantee that what I did will help others, but that is what is going on with me - completely do not allow door slams, vehicles with loud muffler, large truck noise, etc - constant low level of sound to habituate and nourish the ears, and the NM makes it seem as if like "where is my tinnitus anyway" - I really can't tell it's there with the NM+white noise - I hear it at night when trying to sleep, but even there it is not the screaming in your ear "welcome to your nightmare" type of thing, just kind of a mild ringing. Even the buzzing and multi-tones have gone away to just a single high pitch.

• Like Like x 5
    9. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @object16;

Can you parse out the source of these positive effects? That is, how much of your recent improvement is due to Lyrica alone? In any case, I am happy to hear you are doing so much better!

-Golly

10. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      hi, not possible to really parse - certainly i slept through friday night to saturday morning without waking up in the middle of the night - upon waking, the tinnitus was intrusive, so i followed this up with another dose of seroquel, to put me to sleep some more, for extra 4 hours on top of the 10 already, and the extra (excess) sleep helped.

when they forced me to go to drug rehab, the complete lack of sleep for 3 weeks made me go psychotic, and I lost a lot of hearing during that dismal dreadful time because they "diagnosed" me with "sound phobia" so they "treated" me with excess loud noise, that made me lose my hearing.

11. mat

mat Member

anyone good news about picamilon?

12. TheeSeer

TheeSeer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2011
      I use picamilon and get some relief from one 150mg dose but because of potentially building tolerance I use it sparingly. This is my first post and I have a moderate to severe case. I've been researching 1-2 hours per day over a year and will share what I've learned. I have a research background and so don't mind reading medical papers. Picamilon was a Russian invention and is in wide use there and elsewhere for various neurological disorders.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Picamilon

Crap save your money.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      Hello @object16, Can I ask some questions? How did you make CR Neuromodulation via MP3? I mean, how did you made the custom sounds and what is Lyrica?

15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      See the ACR DIY thread in the Treatments section. Steve there might be able to help you with generating a tone for you, or you can make use of generalfuzz's web app (the details are in the first post of the ACR DIY thread).

Lyrica is the brand name for Pregabalin.

16. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good evening @Markku,

Many thanks for your support. You have been very helpful.
      I will check it out.

• Like Like x 1
    17. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Please be careful, as you told me your tinnitus is not tonal and it has to be for the neuromodulation to help, otherwise the tinnitus really might be getting worse as I heard from other people without tonal T who tried it.that would be horrible! You really should only do this experiment if you have some kind of single tonal tinnitus sound

18. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @seal,

Thank you very much for your warning. I know that "Acoustic neuromodulation therapy" is for tonal Tinnitus. But I tought that maybe "ACR DIY" might have a solution for non-tonal tinnitus as well. But now I learned from you that, I think there is no such thing.

I was considering using ACR DIY and take my chance, but now I quited that thought. Thanks again for the warning. Mine is already loud and I don't want to increase my T. more!

19. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I really don't want me stopping you from trying things, if you feel like it might help go for it, I just wanted to let you know that I heard from people whose T got louder and only wanted you to be careful :)

20. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As I had mentioned before, my tinnitus severe. My mind is trying to find a quick solution to solve this problem.
      Your comments are actually very helpful. I must not make quick decisions. I must be very careful at whatevet I do. I don't want to get things worse! Thank you again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      another question..........

I cant seem to import picamilon via amazon or life extension into Australia:(

What about if I took a product that contains gaba and add b3 each time I take it??

22. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Picamilon is GABA and Niacin yes, but it is chemically bonded, and taking the two separately is not the same thing. They won't magically bond (in any meaningful amounts) in the stomach if you take them separately.

Please see this: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Nutritional-Health-Supplements/Picamilon-/_i.html?_fsub=6083810018

They post directly from Australia to Australia so no worries with customs.

23. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you so much Markku,

much appreciated :)

24. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Sooooo, yay, I just received Picamilon from Ebay but it came in 25g satchets and the instructions say to take 150mg 3 times daily. What is that? How do I measure out 150mg? All I know is 1 tsp is 5g approx but obviously thats not even weight dependent. So how much do I take and how if I'm meant to be taking 150mg?

25. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    26. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi neenie, I think you need to get a scale. That might be the best way. What is Picamilon used for? sleep?

27. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You need a milligram scale so that you can accurately measure out the dosage. Also use a minimal dose (eg. 50-100mg per day) to begin with and adjust from there.

28. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @yonkapin:
      Assuming you have taken it, have you found that Picamilon has any effect on your tinnitus?
      -Golly

29. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      That is really interesting @LadyDi, I had that exact same reaction, it was a little scary actually, I got really hot, short of breath, felt like I might pass out. I knew it was from that GABA, but I didn't know others had this reaction. I was taking about the same amount as you were.

I guess I would join you in your words of caution to people in saying that these supplements can have less-than-desirable effects - they aren't always harmless. As @Markku said, kava and other herbs/roots/neurotransmitter precursors etc. can interact with prescription drugs or have their own side effects. After all, all the compounds we put in the pills you get at the drugstore came from somewhere in nature originally :)

Anyway, I hope I'm not coming off as negative, just wanted to send a little word of warning based on my experience.

30. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Not sure to be honest, I take a whole bunch of different supplements that I cycle in and out of my little regimen I got going on, it would be really difficult for me to pin point any one thing that might be helping. Currently I take Magnesium, Melatonin, Zinc, B12, NAC, Niacin, L-theanine and Picamilon.

One big thing I've noticed over the last couple of months is that my hyperacusis has improved significantly. I've been dealing with a moderate-severe bout of it since mid-last year. Whether or not this has anything to do with any supplements I'm taking, I don't know - but these improvements began around the time I started to supplement with Niacin (500mg/day) and NAC (1-2g/day), I started the L-Theanine and Picamilon a couple weeks after that. There could be a million reasons it's gotten better though, so I want to be careful to not mislead anyone here.

Just a quick note to anyone who might read this stuff: GABAergic supplements (eg. Picamilon, GABA) aren't to be taken lightly at all. Do research and don't just start using them blindly. There's a bunch of information about these supplements available online, and lots of discussion on reddit also: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/. As a couple other members have already mentioned, there are possible side effects that need to be noted.

• Agree Agree x 2