GABA Supplements (Including Picamilon)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by John Bacon, May 7, 2012.

1. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I realise I’m replying to an old post but I tend to agree about supplements in some ways. However, I used to wear glasses and would get eye fatigue especially when working and reading. But since getting onto NAC I have razor sharp eyesight. I have not worn them since. So they can have an effect if they’re good quality.

I do think that supplements are important for any nutritional gaps and any deficiencies may actually allow damage to occur (ie oxidative stress) leading to things like tinnitus. In my life I’ve been deficient in certain ones and who knows if it contributed to my current existence.

2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Hi @JLP ,

I take 3 things.

First a take PharmaGABA 3 times a day as maintenance. To help keep my GABA levels increased daily.
      Then if my anxiety if feeling high and I want to reduce it further, I take alcohol free Passion Flower drops and a dose of Magnesium. I've taken all 3 at the same time on some occasions and it really knocks out my anxiety. None of these items call sedation, just calmness. Less stressed.

The other thing I eat daily that really keep my anxiety under control the most to a point I dont need the supplements except for rare occasions now is a vegetable soup I make as the abundance of whole food vitamin and minerals help the brain control anxiety better. I dont know how exactly it works, but it just does as several nutritionists have told me anxiety is usually caused by a deficiency in the body. I outline the recipe here

Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      So I have read lots about the possible positive effect of GABA on tinnitus and want to try it.

But the more I research about it, the more often I read stuff like "GABA can't pass the Blood-Brain Barrier and therefore won't affect the neurotransmitters in the brain".

What are your experiences with GABA and which supplement did you use (as there are a LOT of them)?

Greetings,
      Sym

4. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      @Zaimon Hello! Looks like you have as high a frequency head tinnitus as I do (I am at 13.5 kHz).

Just wanted to drop in my 2 cents because Picamilon is available to me here in Australia (which is basically GABA that can pass the blood brain barrier). It doesn't help my head tinnitus at all.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Thank you for your reply. Yes I am at around 14000 Hz. I am still in the "trying everything that could possibly help" phase, so I will definitely give it a try :).

6. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      @Zaimon I totally understand, I've done (and am still doing) the same.

A couple of things that I have found that made moderate improvements to add to your list:

- Fasting (18/6 hours)
      - Vestibular tinnitus treatment with Chiropractor (this may just be because the stress of tinnitus is wreaking havoc on my body. Regardless, I feel so much better the day of an adjustment).

No supplement has had a single impact for me.

7. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hey there,

I wanted to give a short update. I have been taking GABA (750 mg) on a daily basis for 3 weeks now. Sadly, it looks like it has no effect at all...

I will give fasting (18/6) a try!

8. corza000

corza000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Where can you get it in Australia?

9. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      Online at bulknutrients.com.au (link not directly working).

Weird thing is, I don't think they have it anymore. I bought it back in May, but nothing listed on their website anymore.

• Like Like x 1