GABA Supplements (Including Picamilon)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by John Bacon, May 7, 2012.

1. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Also be careful with extended use of clonazepam, you can find yourself in hell if you get addicted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      yes it affects the tinnitus but the habituation now seem was a better idea. No liver problems.

3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Phenibut is a bit of a GABA analogue, designed by russsian scientists to be a middle ground betweeen the actual muscle building GABA and phenazepam (a benzodiazepin, much like Valium).
      Don't read too many horror stories about it, if you're already a bit of a clonazepam junkie, Phenibut will do pretty much nothing unless taken in huge quantities, over 2mg per pop, or even more (not recommended).
      Now on a body that has not ever been 'contaminated' with benzos,valerians and serotonin stufff, it might be efective even at 250mg.
      But don't expect anything miraculous. Just a slight decrease in t volume and a bit of sedation, that's about it. Just a lot more effective than plain GABA but a lot less effective than clonazepam. That's why it's legal, probably. :dunno:

4. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for taking the time to post this

5. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I have got 500mg GABA pills (Solgar brand).

The bottle says that the daily dose is 500mg (1 pill).

I got 1 pill and I think it reduces my tinnitus (but maybe I'm wrong 100% because my tinnitus changes rapidly).

After 2 hours I got another pill.

What is the max dosage?

I'm benzo addicted and I have benzo induced tinnitus + tinnitus from problem to my ear.

I saw around the net that some bodybuilders get 3000mg daily 1 hour before sleep...

How much mg diazepam equals with 500mg GABA?

I'm now at benzo withdrawal and I reduced my benzo dose to 1.5mg diazepam per day + I drink 3 herbal teas that contain a mix of valerian + lemon balm.

6. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

7. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      It is straight GABA...
      Phenibut is the same as benzos+baclofen = worse tinnitus long term.
      I gave 500mg GABA to another person not addicted to benzos (I used she as guinea pig) and she slept about 2 hours.
      I think it works but the dose matters.

The million euro question is does GABA supplement at high doses causesaddiction & withdrawal syndrome with higher tinnitus like benzos?

I want to withdraw from benzos and cope with the terrible tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I don't want another evil to replace benzos evil.

8. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used Regular GABA for 2 weeks and it did nothing as it does not cross the brain blood barrier but the phenibut does.
      I took 1 Phenibut 250mg capsule and it was terrible.
      Crazy dreams and did nothing for tinnitus.

9. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      So, in the end... Was the GABA making your tinnitus lower?? Because I am thinking of buying that and ginkgo biloba...

10. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      You need to try Pharma GABA if its gong to do anything. Regular GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier even.

11. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does Solgar GABA have the same effect?

12. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      No, find a product with “Pharma gamma-aminobutyric acid” in its ingredients list, it’s not a brand but the active ingredient.

13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      All these supplements are a huge waste of money, time and resources. None of them will even touch the tinnitus. Why should they? Are there any supplements that really affect your vision or your actual hearing? None. Tinnitus is just the new normal way your auditory system works, and there is nothing that can be done in 2018. There are just a few inconsistent therapies, and really nothing to show. It is all about trying to cope and manage it sadly.

Donate the money to tinnitus/hearing loss research instead of wasting it on snake oil.

• Agree Agree x 7
    14. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Yesterday I took 4x 500mg pills Solgar GABA and today I woke up with suicidal tinnitus.

15. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4x500mg? Isn't that too much?

16. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Phenibut likely brought on my T. I had a terrifying experience using it. I was in the ER yesterday morning because my body and brain were responding to it with bizzare and invasive side effects. I had a brain CT done yesterday morning. ER doc said to discontinue phenibut. I would urge that NO ONE use phenibut. I went through a living hell while on this stuff.

17. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      This is quite strange.

Phenibut is an agonist of GABA receptors. How long did you take Phenibut? Surely the tinnitus began after you stopped taking the Phenibut?

18. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know anything about the chemistry of phenibut. I just know that in the days since I stopped taking it, the terrifying side effects that drove me to the ER are fading away. I was on it for a month. I also had been weaning off Klonopin and coincidentally had had my last dose within 36 hours of the onset of T.

19. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      What do you think of this information? Does anyone have more information about this?
      It seems they are going to create a cure for tinnitus on the basis of GABA. They believe that this is possible.

Toward a Cure for Tinnitus

20. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Weaning off Klonopin and stopping Phenibut cold turkey is not such a great strategy for tinnitus. These chemicals control GABA in the brain and any sudden change in dosages (for either drug) may be bad news. There are a lot of stories here from people on benzodiazepines (like Klonopin) who got T from stopping it.
      Phenibut is not such a distant cousin of benzodiazepines as you might think. It probably comes as close to them as is legally allowed.

21. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel my t started because of Klonopin withdrawal. I weaned properly, but after being on it for almost 30 years, two months wasn't enough time.

22. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Did you try to start it again? If you've been on it for 30 years, maybe you got T 15 years ago and the drug was keeping it at bay.
      I'm not saying it's a good idea, if you can manage your T without drugs - don't do them.
      But if it's a small dosage and it helps, maybe you should consider taking it till something comes along... in the following decade as it would appear...

23. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I'm back on clonezepam. And I'm sleeping. Thank God!

24. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      GABA is good for relaxing, but it makes me very depressive after a few days, but the same goes for Magnesium, very strange.

25. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      If you dont take clonezepam, do you have insomnia for days?

26. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      But this would affect the whole brain. The key must be to target brain areas.

So, there are the two types of neurotransmitters: GABA which is inhibitory and Glutamate which is excitory, reducing the first or increasing the latter should have equal effect on the brain overactivity. I have proposed to use them in specific areas to "calm down" only those areas. This would be much more targeted.

Tinnitus is very similar to epilepsy it seems, wrt overactivity of certain brain regions. One can then draw on research from this field into tinnitus. There are several different "technologies" that are in trials to alleviate epilepsy so to accomplish JUST THIS! - both in gene therapy and in stem cell trials.

27. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd been on it for 25+ years for chronic insomnia. It worked great. My problems started when I went ogo it. I have very little sleep without it.

28. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I have anxiety panic disorder and had a bout of insomnia for the first time last month. I was up for 3 days until I went to the ER and was prescribed Ativan. I was able to finally sleep but the insomnia continued the next day. I was up for another 3 days until taking Ativan again. this happened 4 times until I finally broke the cycle with life style changes, dietary and supplements promoting GABA. Im sorry your insomnia has lasted so long.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Emster

Emster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is PTSD related. First time it happened was after my father died. Second time was after my father in law died. This time it stuck.

30. JLP
      Feminine

JLP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Hi @another sean, I was also prescribed Ativan which I take every other day or so, when I really need it. I don’t want to depend on it because I’m starting to feel like I need it more often. Do you mind telling me which supplements you use to promote GABA?