Glue Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Mar 21, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys,

Last night my ears went severely stuffy/pressurised and my tinnitus went through the roof! I woke up today and its still the same, Ears blocked, T a lot louder, I spoke to a doctor over the phone and he said it sounds like glue ear, which makes sense because I had some fluid behind my eardrum over a month ago.

Anyway he has told me to try and pop my ears to help clear it (valsalva maneuver) but I'm a little nervous that try that because failed attempts a couple of years ago resulted in my then tinnitus going super severe for 6 hours! I vowed never to do that again but it looks like ive no choice?

Also told to try inhaling smelly salts (olbus oil, menthol crystals etc), if that doesn't work I might need grommets in my ears to drain the glue.

The pressure in my head is intense and my T is crazy loud!.....has anyone any experience of glue ear? Is it safe to do the valsalva maneuver?

Thanks,

Mick

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I'd watch out for grommets; I've read questionable things. I wouldn't think they are warrented in an adult unless you have severe problems or they go on and on for a long time.

My sinuses get gunky in the winter, and I have TMJ -- both of these things conspire to pack my eustachain tubes with garbage. I get a lot of mileage out of neti pots, and steam baths at my gym. I also sleep with a vaporizer running in the bedroom, to keep it all from drying out so much in the night.

Your T is probably louder because your hearing thresholds are reduced because your ears have fluid in them. This is normal, it has happened to me many times, and it always gets better.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      linearb, how often do you use the net pot?

4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So after trying to pop my ears this morning on drs advice over the phone (told me it sounded like glue ear) my tinnitus got even louder! Its now fleeting tinnitus loud! I just come back from the hospital/ER because its gone so crazy, the Dr looked in my ear and said I had an infection.....which I replied "I thought it was just glue ear?"....and he said it was the same thing? He prescribed me amoxicillin antibiotics which I'm about to take.

Anyway if the fluid in my middle ear won't drain how will antibiotics help? I will still take them because my tinnitus is now loud!

5. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Amoxicillin is very ototoxic...Do people have a suggestion for a safer antibiotic?

6. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      Where did you read it's ototoxic? Amoxicillin should be one of the safest antibiotics.

I scoured the internet and ones that have "mycin" suffix are bad for ears!

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I was at the doctor yesterday, he said that I had fluid behind my ear drum. Does this make the T louder? He said it was clear fluid, not sure what that means either. I was going to ask him these things but I got side tracked as we were talking about so many different things. He is referring me to an ent regardless but I wish I would have asked him about the fluid. Obviously he doesn't think it's infected as he didn't seem very concerned.

8. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I had a real nasty spike when i had to take amoxillin for a tooth infection. Seems i'm not the only one. amoxillin may not be as ototoxic but it does mess with your GABA levels and could make your brain hyperactive. So more neurons firing..

This i also found on the net: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/is-augmentin-ototoxic/

9. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/ETD since 11/2015
      I have the same thing. It does make T louder. I went to 2 ENTs and they both said it's ETD.

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks. Yeah I kinda figured. I'm starting with steam everyday, I don't know. Have you found anything that helps.

Also, do you get ear pain with it?

11. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/ETD since 11/2015
      The first 3 months I had really bad ear pain. I'm 5 months in. I've been using a hot water bottle a couple hours a day and it seems to be helping a lot. I'm thinking of taking Mucinex because it thins out the mucous.

12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Okay thanks :)