God, Prayers and Miracles — An Alternative for All?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Per, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think that being 'cured' is necessarily that path for tinnitus when comes to religiously induced 'relief' such as prayer that can 'cure' you, I think that some people only claim to be cured because their mind is susceptible to what its being told rather than what is actually going, if you ultimately believe that God or Jesus is completely capable or saving you and has done it then your brain might convince itself into believing that you are cured when initially your not, so then your brain can completely shut out tinnitus although technically its still there, however then what we must remember that if you believe your tinnitus is cured till the point were you can't hear it any more (although no physical cure has taken place) then it may as well be cured because its like when we say 'if a tree crashes down in a forest with no one in it what sound does it make. It doesn't make a sound because no one was there to hear it.' If you don't hear it then It doesn't exist even if nothing 'medical' took place to cure you. I'm not religious myself however I can see how this method can help people who feel as if they can't live with t and need a cure, I feel at complete peace with my t when I'm surrounded by nature and animals, even though on a regular basis I just forget its there because I've convinced my brain the T isn't useful so don't listen to it, (sometimes this falters though) but certain things really make me at peace. I've tried to train my brain not through prayer although making your self either 'cured' by tinnitus or at ease with it can be achieved through different methods, whichever way is more suited to the person. I know my theory sounds strange but tinnitus is a strange thing.

Overall as long as you have something to help you cope it doesn't really matter what it is or why it works.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Martin luther had tinnitus.

3. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:

A friend of mine (now deceased) help liberate that particular camp near the end of the war, and he said the incinerators were knee-deep in white grease.

4. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus led me to start believing in God. Or rather, after seeking out and being convinced by arguments for God's existence and properties, I remembered that I always knew that God is real, and I was just pretending to not know.

My reaction to tinnitus is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and it caused me to really think about why I ought to keep living, and how I ought to live. It's easy to not ask those questions when things are going well, but they are actually the most important questions that there are. It's funny how I used to get so worked up over trivial issues and was flippant about the most important issues. It's a common thing, I've noticed.

I became aware that I always know what I ought to do, and almost never do it. I came to understand that this knowledge of "ought" is God's intention for me, which means that I spend almost all of my time rebelling against God. If I had listened to God, I wouldn't even have tinnitus, so it would be cheeky to ask God to take it away.

Actually, God is a lot like tinnitus. God is always there, telling me what I ought to be doing. And it's only a problem if I perceive the instructions as negative.

5. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      An interesting topic. I find it hard to believe in a loving God though I hope one exists and occasionally pray. For example here where I live a couple of days ago a young father and his two young children were struck by lightning as he was leaving them to school. The father and one of the children are in a critical condition. I ask myself how could a loving God allow such a thing.
      I do believe I think in a higher power that we can tap into. I believe we can do so through such techniques as chi gung and yoga perhaps even devotional prayer. Tinnitus has certainly purified me. I no longer care about making lots of money, sexual conquests and the rest. The only important things are love and compassion for our fellow beings and the earth. I find small acts of kindness are my main motivator now.

6. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it might be a loss of perspective to wonder why God allows specific terrible things to happen. After all, every single one of us will be obliterated from the material world. All of us! It doesn't get more terrible than that. That's a much stronger challenge to God being loving.

This can only be justified by an afterlife, since it will reduce the material world to a finite blip that doesn't matter in the end.

7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I do believe in God but I do not know why he chose to put us in a everday torture. I sometimes think to end this suffering and reach him to ask why.

8. volsung37

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know OK. Obliteration after a long and happy life doesn't seem so terrible to me. A life cut short through a random act or a life spent in constant torment seems much more terrible to me and I would have to question how any loving creature who could alter this would not do so. Yet a crawl of the internet will reveal thousands if not millions of our fellow humans living in horrific pain and anxiety and don't even mention the millions of animals suuffering torment at the hands of humans. The only God I could see allowing this is one who set the universe in motion and simply watches or some kind of malevolent being. Perhaps though as the Epicureans thought the purposes of God are simply beyond our understanding and we should cease trying to. Who knows?

9. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that it's difficult to imagine the thought process of an infinite being. If you think about it in terms of maths. the world is presumably the result of God trying to optimise for something. But we are just stuck in a finite corner and we can't see the big picture. We can only logically discuss the big picture, but it doesn't really fit into our heads.

Instead of thinking of God as "loving", it might be better to think of God as being the ground of Love. We know from our tiny finite corner that Love is wonderful. So if we follow it to its source, and its source is doing something we don't understand, we just have to be humble about it.

10. volsung37

Tinnitus Since:
      Good point OK