Going Back to Work...

Discussion in 'Support' started by LondonGirl, Apr 16, 2014.

1. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      ... after 4 months off from the T starting and resulting anxiety/depression.
      I know full masking is not recommended for habituation (and isn't always even possible with mine) but need to cope with the initial return to a pretty full-on job.
      Anyone who has been through similar, advice would be much appreciated.
      Thx

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      It's a VERY good idea to return back to work. I know it can be hard, but it can do miracles for your T, because it can pull your mind away from T and back to the normal life, which starts the habituation process. My T started 4 months ago and I was away from work about a month. I am still annoyed about my T, but I'm learning to live with it better. All the best!

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Many thanks, I'm sure you are right, just a bit nervous about going back into the 'jungle'!

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If you have to mask, do it on a low level so that you can hear the tinnitus over it. In this way your brain will know that the tinnitus exists but will concentrate on the musisc. :)

5. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      You will be fine. I've worked since the onset of my t. There are plenty of environmental sounds and tinnitus sound therapy videos on youtube if you need partial masking. I also always have my ipod with me because I work in a quiet office environment.

Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks Stina, thanks Kathi, I have always relished having my own office for peace and quiet but now I have to share it with the pesky T! I will explore the online sounds - at least we have that option nowadays and we have forums to share, tinnitus 10 years ago must have been a lonely problem as I'm sure some on this forum know only too well...

7. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Going back to work saved me you know what they say busy hands are happy hands or in my case a happy mindset. Wishing you well London girl.

8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      LondonGirl
      Sorry your T is so loud; mine was loud too when it came on (last year). I understand what you are saying about not completely masking the T (for the sake of habituation); however, my audiologist told me to 'mask the snot' out of it at the beginning, even though, like yours I couldn't completely mask mine at the beginning either (just too loud!). The reason he told me to do this was to get my anxiety down and to establish a sense of control over it. It worked.

I am NOT an audiologist (or GP or ENT, or anything like that) so please don't disregard what your Doc is telling you; I'm just relaying my experience to maybe help you out or give you a different perspective.

I hope you are coming along...

Mark :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks Mark, I think that is the best strategy initially. Do you think your T volume actually reduced in time or was it that your anxiety dropped so you paid it less attention? Either sounds good to me!
      Jewellanne I'm sure you are right, thank you, I just need to manage stress levels, will be good to have to focus on something else.

10. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      @LondonGirl what I coincidence. I'm going back to work this week after 3 months . If you want you can message me and we can share our experience .

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Rog
      Yes let's do that - we will 'fake it till we make it'!
      Will message you :)

12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I think you'll do fine now that you've had 4 months under your belt to adjust to t.

It first hit me that I had t at work and I nearly had a panic attack. I barely got through the day and then I went to my urgent care which really did little to make me fel better. It was a hell-ish 3 week after that. If I could've taken time off, I would have.

13. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Work will make you busy and distract you from T.

14. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      Just throw yourself into it and you'll be amazed how the T will fade into the background. I recently had a big job interview with a foghorn blaring in my ear when I walked in, forgot all about it till I walked out. Good luck :)