Going to a Concert While Having Tinnitus, Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JIDV, Apr 14, 2019.

1. JIDV

JIDV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, stress made it worse
      Hello all,

I'm a 17 year old girl with tinnitus that is most likely caused by noise exposure. The sound is a mixture of a high pitched noise through the day and ringing at night, it's not very extreme but it's very annoying when it's all silent, I always need background sounds. I also have a lot of fluid in my ears and they 'crack' when I yawn. It also feels like they're "never really fully open", as if someone's blocking it. My tinnitus has gotten a little worse since I got it because I have lower-pitched ringing now, but the loudness hasn't increased a lot. Sounds such as cutlery falling on a plate and bells ringing irritate me very much though.

I never go to concerts or festivals but there is one concert I REALLY want to see so bad. It's k-pop, so no rock and roll or metal, but I still believe the sound levels can be high there too, though I have no experience myself. I wanted to wear hearing protection but after reading a lot of horror stories here I'm genuinely scared. I paid a lot of money to get my ticket and I want to go so so bad, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality of the rest of my life over it.

So my question is: is the risk of getting a tinnitus spike after a concert -- wearing ear protection -- really as high as is being presented here? Or will I do fine with 30 dB earplugs and maybe noise cancelling headphones as well? Are there any positive experiences with going to concert while having tinnitus or do the horror storries greatly outweigh this?

Please help me out. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this, but I also don't want to enjoying life while I am still young.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      No one can tell you the outcome of it is, since everyone's T and ears are very much different, but I see you've had Tinnitus since late last year, so your ears are still in the process of healing and being raw - especially since you developed a new tone. I can't tell what protection would be the best, but what I can say in my honest opinion, is that I would not go to the concert.... It isn't worth the risk in my mind. I know it's not what you want to hear, but this is just my opinion. Hopefully someone else will chime in about the protection and such...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You've laid out the trade off brilliantly. Nobody can tell you which way to go: it has to be your own decision. You know what's at stake, and only you can decide if the risk is worth the reward.

The reason you won't find any consensus here is that everyone assesses risk/reward differently, so you're likely to get everything from "don't do it! it will screw you for life!" to "just wear protection and you'll be fine".

If it were me, I'd skip the concert (and find a way to sell my ticket), but that's because seeing someone in concert doesn't carry a high value for me. I'm also quite older and the importance of things change as you get older. I'm pretty sure that, when you are a few decades older, you'll look at this tradeoff differently.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Everyone's tinnitus is unique so no one here will be able to give you a 100% factual answer.

That being said there are people who go to concerts with hearing protection and are fine, and there are others who can not. Unfortunately, we can not tell you which you will be.

5. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It depends who you are going to see ;) , BLACKPINK, TWICE, MAMAMOO and BTS are definitely worth it, girl!! ESPECIALLY for Lisa, OMG I would take my earplugs out for her like literally!!!!

But personally I wouldn't go because I don’t want to risk further damage to my ears and I want to take this opportunity to heal. You can’t replace your ears but you can always go to a concert anytime. I personally recommend you not to attend. I know it’s really hard to get tickets, and if I had ticket for BLACKPINK, I would probably end up there but not with tinnitus.

It’s all up to you at the end but personally I don’t want your ears to get worse...

EDIT - who are you going to see anyway, just curious...

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like you have both tinnitus and hyperacusis, and both are pretty severe. Also, this is noise induced from what you say.

With new tones, your tinnitus is still evolving, and stabilizing, and at a younger age, the likelihood of healing may be better.

Clearly the safe answer is to not only skip this rock concert, but to also make sure you take reasonable protection to prevent any additional noise exposures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi, hope you're fine today.

Do not go to the concert. 100 percent out of order. Listen to your elders on this.

Second... see an ENT about the fluid in your ears.

Report back and let us know how you're doing, you're young, we want you safe and happy...

Sincerely, Daniel

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Don't go to the concert, there are no current therapies to reverse hearing damage. Complications like noise induced pain could arise from this. You already have tinnitus and you strongly suspected from noise, so it's best you protect your ears from further damage.

Cochlear hair cells have synapses that connect them to nerves, if the synapses are over excited from very loud noise by burst and die, probably even with hearing protection considering how loud concerts are it's dangerous.
      entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png.png
      http://www.brainfacts.org/thinking-sensing-and-behaving/hearing/2018/unraveling-hearing-loss-101618

A damaged ear is more susceptible to damage then a healthy ear, tinnitus from noise trauma is a sign of hearing loss.
      upload_2019-4-14_1-6-28.png
      upload_2019-4-14_1-7-8.png

Is it really worth ending up like some people on this forum with debilitating tinnitus and noticeable heairng loss, or the ones with pain hyperacusis who are crippled by noise?

You will be mal-treated by doctors trying to sell you TRT/CBT and hearing aids. They will tell you not to focus on the future hope of regenerative medicine. Go ahead and look for other positive post to cancel out my pessimism, it won't protect you from the reality of the situation.

9. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      @JIDV Look at it this way.

If you go, there will be a high probable chance it will make your tinnitus worse to a point to where you won't be able to listen to any music at all for a very very long time. Not even at home.

If you don't go, it will allow your hearing to heal better since your tinnitus is still fairly new which will allow you to at least continue to hear music at home and enjoy more of life.

It literally is a giant gamble. You could have it all, concerts and other things that make you happy or you could lose it all because you tinnitus could get worse forever.

There are tons of stories here of people making their tinnitus much worse and now unbearable and miss out even more in life. Please don't gamble what you already have, away. You are lucky it's not debilitating right now. You're lucky you don't have to wear ear plug where ever you go. You're lucky you are not home bound. It's not worth the risk. The stories you read are all real.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JIDV

JIDV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it's Blackpink! Which is why I'm hesitating so much, this is a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you all for your kind responses. I've read everything and the concensus seems to be "don't go" -- I fully understand your reasoning now. I'm really grateful for all the wise people around here that remember me I'm not alone! I will discuss this with my parents as soon as possible.

I wanted to add that since two months I've started wearing hearing protection at work as well. My tinnitus hasn't gotten much worse since I first got it but I'm taking all precautions I can now. I also wear it when I'm in public transport or at the cinema.

This thursday our school is having a party and it's obligated to come. I just bought 20DB earplugs and I'm taking 35DB ones with me just in case. Again, I have to come, because if it wasn't obligatory I wouldn't go of course! It won't be as loud as a concert but my idea is this: if my tinnitus will even get slightly worse -- even a temporary new pitch like many people experience -- I will without hesitation sell my tickets and not go at all. If nothing happens I will speak to my ENT about it and ask for his guidance too. If he's against it as well I'm not going at all.

I'll keep you updated and wish every single one of you all the best and much love, thank you for replying!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If your tinnitus doesn’t spike from the school party and if you do decide to go to a concert, make sure you get the best ear protection and wear it all the time... maybe go to a toilet to rest your ears every few minutes.

Are you from US by any chance? I think they are forming in Los Angeles and Rosemont next week... and a few other states around early May.

I have to wait till end of May to see them... I would genuinely go if I didn’t had tinnitus... actually depressing... T_T

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you consider a 1% risk of a lifetime of louder T to be a high risk? What risk do you think is "being presented here", and what risk do you personally consider to be too high?
      It sounds like whatever it is you have been doing is not working for you. Normally T ought to fade over time, and not get worse.

13. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @JIDV this is a really good decision! It is smart to consider all the pros and cons of attending that concert. What venue is it being shown in? Closed in arenas are tough on the ears. I learned that the hard way attending a Toby Keith concert at the Staples Center.

I decided out door venues were much easier for me.

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like the concert is more of a once in a lifetime opportunity to lose your hearing, or get worse T and H.

The school thing does not sound too bad, with the right protection. I would wear the stronger plugs. Also, if it goes well, I would take the win, and not push it any further. Also, be sure to take frequent breaks and head outside at regular intervals.

15. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      +1 vote for the "don't go" camp. Even if this turns out to be the most wonderful concert ever, within a few months it won't be more than a faded memory of "yes that was a cool concert" plus a few blurry mental images. While on the other hand there is a very real chance of worsening your tinnitus to such a degree that it will take years to recover back to the level where you are currently.

In my opinion this just isn't a reasonable tradeoff. There are many other ways to get the same adrenaline kick/bonding experience without the same terrible risk.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JIDV

JIDV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this is what really won me over.
      Current status is that I'm trying to find someone who is willing to buy my ticket. I payed 170 euros for it, so that'll be difficult, but maybe if a friend is willing to go I'd ask not even half of it. Problem is I was supposed to go with my sister, and she can't go alone but she doesn't want to miss it. So worst case scenario is that I will in fact go, but I promise you all that I will stay in the toilets as much as possible. Thank you all for replying and convincing me again!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JIDV

JIDV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm actually from the Netherlands! The concert is the 15th of may. I really hope you get to see Lisa, Jisoo, Jennie and Rosé one day! <3

18. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wait a sec... You mean 18th of May in Amsterdam? My homeboys are going on 18th of may to meet their goddesses.

It's all about Lisa queen!! I would probably be chilling in the toilet for others and soon as she comes in out of there xD ahahha.

Lisa can me hit me like ddu-du-ddu-du any day... :woot::woot:

If Tzuyu from Twice came here, I'D LITERALLY BE PACKING MY EARPLUGS AND I'M RUNNING FOR MY LIFE!!!

19. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the fluid could be ear fullness from noise injury misdiagnosed.

If the ear fullness/heaviness came after the acoustic over exposure.

20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Here's hoping you get diarrhea that day! Seriously, no reason to expose yourself to this level of noise, which can only end badly IMHO. Your sister may be disappointed, but better than you going deaf or having more severe T/H.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I just watched some Blackpink videos on YouTube and even THAT spiked my tinnitus!! I've never heard of them before but I do like them. You will probably be able catch their concert on video. I definitely wouldn't go. It sounds like it will be very loud. I'd even give away my ticket if I had to so my sister wouldn't have to go alone. It's not worth the risk of permanent debilitating tinnitus!!

22. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I would not go.

You have to take care of yourself first.

A few hours of fun at a loud concert isn’t worth potentially worse tinnitus.

23. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Another helpful concert thread. Well done to all.

24. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, asking for permission to go to a concert on a tinnitus forum is generally not a good idea.

If it's an open space event where you can control the distance between you and the speakers + hearing protection: ON, no alcohol (the inner ear -- an organ filled with fluid -- is affected by dehydration as well as a brain) & checking every now and then on a good sound level meter you're in the safe noise dose zone (the far back usually); I mean mechanical damage to the ear is then not very likely.

My problem is with the things I can't control - like drunk idiots nearby doing dumb stuff.

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no one knows. The people who tend to reply to these threads take a very pessimistic view, but you'll notice that they mostly quote a handful of the same posts from a handful of horror stories -- and generally do not have experience going to concerts themselves. On the one hand, I don't need a first hand account from someone who self-immolated to know that self-immolation is probably a bad idea -- on the other hand, I, and dozens of people I know with tinnitus in the real world, have decided to continue to go to concerts sometimes, taking appropriate precautions and leaving if it's too loud. For me, personally, I'm comfortable up to about 100db with protection, but prefer to keep it around 90 so I stay towards the back, depending on the acoustics.

I assume, personally, that if I leave a show, take my plugs out, and my ears feel completely normal, then I am "fine". On the other hand if there's any sense of muffling / weirdness, that's a sign I stressed things. I've gotten pretty good at knowing where that line is, and I haven't had any problems at shows since the one that really messed me up (without plugs) in 2010. Note that I'm approaching middle age and live in the middle of nowhere now, so the number of shows I have access to that I want to go to is maybe 3-4 a year, and I probably wouldn't be comfortable getting that noise exposure every night.

We're all different, we're all going to have different stories on this, and no one can really tell you what to do -- they are your ears, and you'll get to live with the consequences. It certainly makes sense to me to take a break for a while to give your ears some rest; I don't think I went to a show for a year or two after I really blasted things.

One other note: when I was your age I had very mild tinnitus, and it stayed that way for 13 years until I very foolishly stayed at an unreasonably loud concert without any hearing protection, and it's been an entirely different beast ever since. So, whatever you do -- don't get complacent. You are right that you don't want to live your life in a state of obsession and fear about this, but you also don't want to make it worse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe go to higher class shows, and not redneck metal fests?

:D (I'm totally kidding, in general I agree with your post. There is something to some shows drawing a worse crowd than others, though)

27. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I understand 6m of the UK population and 50m of the US population have some forms of tinnitus. This forum probably
      Most practical advice I have seen on this forum. I agree if you have to go a concert then go with ultra precautions but definitely do not make a habit and try to limit as much as possible. If you go then try not to go again for several months (if you need to). Where it all goes wrong is when people think they continue as they are, get complacent thinking there tinnitus is the same as before and then bang they get a massive permanent spike. I do now try to limit myself to 3-4 times a year just going to the big festivals.

People mean well on this forums but you have to put everything into perspective as around 10% of the world population have tinnitus and there are only have a few members posting on forums as it has intolerable effect on their life's though admittedly they have much more experience of Tinnitus and the debilitating effects it can have which absolutely should not be ignored either.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      So, I don't want to say you should or shouldn't do this. if you are going to feel super anxious maybe it's not worth it. I went to one concert since I got T, and it was a very small venue with barely any speakers and slow folk music. It didn't give me a spike. I made sure to stay away from the speakers, measure the loudness every once in a while to make sure it was not getting louder than I expected and would go out to the balcony every 30 minutes or so. For a few songs, I stayed there and listened from a safe distance as well.
      It's very hard to reshape my life around T as these types of events were a big part of it and I think there is no shame in enjoying life music. It's really up to you, but if you decide to go make sure that you are protected (maybe even double protection) and perhaps try to find a spot where sound levels are relatively safe and be careful.

• Like Like x 1