Going to Order Dr. Wilden's Laser

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JojoFord, Mar 1, 2017.

1. JojoFord

JojoFord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scuba Diving
      So, I'm new to this funky thing called Tinnitus and it is making me crazy. I got it from going scuba diving. I went scuba diving because I really love the water and wanted to give it a try. On my third dive, I came up and my ear has been ringing ever since.

I've seen some doctors, had two hearing tests. My tests show that I've lost hearing in the upper frequencies and my tinnitus is a high pitched buzzing sound with a higher note coming in every once in awhile. Sometimes I imagine that I'm underwater again. It is like my ear speaker is broken. I thank everyone for writing about your experiences.

I have written to Dr. Wilden a bunch of times and given him a lot of trouble about his method of payment for the ear laser, but ultimately, I want to give it a try in this early stage and hope for the best.

I'm trying to do a bank transfer as that is what Dr. Wilden requires. Everyone of my friends says not to do it but they don't have this condition so they wouldn't understand paying this much cash for a hope at silence.

Once I get the laser, I will post more info. Aloha.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Bank transfer is fine.

But you can get much cheaper and even better alternatives now using powerful LED instead of laser.

3. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I wish you luck regarding this therapy, @JojoFord. Who knows, you may be the one to prove me wrong and if so, will be very very happy for you.

But seriously, very connected and wealthy people like musician Pete Townsend continue to suffer from tinnitus, If this stuff worked, don't you think they would be cured?

I spent more than $10,000 chasing a cure. Didn't happen. While that money did buy me some effective ways of managing my tinnitus, it came through established stuff like cognitive behavioral therapy, not unicorn magic.

I see you are new to tinnitus. For some, including me, trying anything is a rite of passage. Suggest you spend your LLLT money on serious shoes and a great vacation instead. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck and hang in there.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JojoFord

JojoFord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scuba Diving
      Love the serious shoes and great vacation idea. Thx. I'm only trying it because some people have posted it works for them. Gotta try it or I won't know and will always wonder.

6. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I've had tinnitus for two months, it's changed quiet a bit since onset, do you think there's a point trying this out?

7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Wish I knew if it was pointless. I tend to be a huge skeptic and before I had tinnitus I'd have laughed in the face of anyone that suggested it - but given my scenario I'm willing to try it.

Red Light Man sells a product for like $100 that seems to be the best bet if you're going to try it. High power, multiple wave lengths, predictable power, wide beam.

The first few months mine changed a lot. It still varies, but overall I'd say it's calmed down. Yours likely will too.

8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the device I plan to try, for the reasons @Tom Cnyc mentions that are quoted above. There are no double blind studies (or any studies for that matter) saying this particular device will work. But there is science saying light therapy can have substantial healing effects for many conditions, so could be worth a shot.

https://redlightman.com/product/infrared-light-device-mini/

9. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      How is LED LT an acceptable alternative? I thought the lasers had to be focused strong light and heat?

10. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is a bit controversial but more and more people seem to say that both LED and LASER produce the same biological effects. For example, read the section on "Laser Light versus LEDs" (scroll about halfway down) at this webpage:

http://heelspurs.com/led.html

It must be apples to apples - the same wavelength of light and the same dosage in joules - but the idea is, it does not matter if you get those joules from LED or LASER, your body reacts the same.

Also Professor Michael Hamblin at Harvard Medical School says similar things. Here is a quote from an interview:

"JM: Most of the original research was done with lasers. But there’s this massive trend in the research now. Your great example of that is towards using light emitting diodes (LEDs), which are more cost-effective. It seems to be more of an effective and efficient way to provide the therapy.

MH: I completely agree. The only convincing case where you really want a laser is if you want to get the light into an optical fiber because you want to put it inside the body, if you want to have an endoscope or put the light in the lungs or the stomach. A lot of people do this occasionally. You pretty much need a laser to focus the light into an optical fiber. It’s kind of difficult to do it with LEDs."

http://wellman.massgeneral.org/faculty-hamblin-pi.htm

Source:

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Ex...terview-MichaelHamblin-Photobiomodulation.pdf

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/26/photobiomodulation.aspx

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JojoFord

JojoFord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scuba Diving
      Ok, so I got the laser today. It took a while to arrive. It came in a silver briefcase so it was well protected from damage. I'm going to work with the laser everyday and take Arches Tinnitus Formula and a supplement called Pycnogenol. The supplements seem to have lowered the sound somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JojoFord

JojoFord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scuba Diving
      So I'm having a lot of success reducing the noise in my ear. My hearing loss is in the high notes so it doesn't matter for me if I regain this loss but the noise was driving me crazy! I've been using the laser for about threee weeks and taking two supplements... tinnitus formula and psynogenol. Hope this strategy works for others.

• Like Like x 1
    13. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks for the info. What does your audiogram look like? (do you mind sharing it?)

14. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi! Did the laser therapy help you with your tinnitus? I was wondering if it wasn't too late to try it myself, as you have had tinnitus since 2013. Thank you!

15. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      HI! Did you have any success with the laser therapy? Did it reduce your tinnitus? Thank you!

16. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As a focus group of ONE - I think, yes - the RedLightMan laser is effective. but I don't think it is for the reasons Dr. Wilden claims.

I believe that muscular tension in the neck and ear make tinnitus worse, and these lights are proven to reduce inflammation.

My tinnitus went from wildly loud and unbearable to barely audible 90% of the time. If I get sick my ears get loud for a few weeks, until inflammation fades.

I have thoracic issues and chronic stiff neck also, FWIW.

17. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      How long after your tinnitus onset did you start on the laser therapy?

So you say the RedLightMan laser helps with inflammation... Does this mean that, in your opinion, it doesn't help with the regeneration of the cochlear hair cells?

I see you got tinnitus due to loud noise, so your hair cells are damaged, aren't they?

18. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not remotely qualified to comment on whether or not this thing can regenerate the cochlea. Further, nobody really is. You have to kill the patient to do a test.

I have about 20 dB of hearing loss. I haven't had an audiogram since I used the device, nor am I a believer that an audiogram can even indicate if it helped. if your damage is at 2300 Hz (where my tinnitus is) - testing at 2000 Hz and 3000 Hz may not indicate anything.

My hypothesis is that my tinnitus which is definitely noise damage based - is worsened by neck and/or ENT illness like the flu, etc. Given that those cause inflammation, and the light drops it - that's my guess.

I'd NEVER buy a 2000+ dollar light. The Red Light Man was $110 so I figured why not? I am not affiliated with them at all by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1