Going to the Theatre / Movies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shelley, Feb 22, 2013.

1. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Year prior to hyperacusis i went to see one of those blockbuster movies. To my surprise there doesn't seem to be no safe regulations on loudness, just like in concerts and clubs, at least in most of the world. It was painful, but i stayed all the way to the end due to my ignorance. My partner with healthy ears was complaining too, it was quite ridiculous if i think back to this. I guess they think its more of a impression when its painfully loud, after that i never ever calculate whether i should take musician plugs with me or not.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Neenie none looks at you oddly for walking out on a Ben Stiller movie :p You dont suck if that was the case, its ridiculously loud for normal people too, no shame there. Just remember them plugs and it'll be a good night! Cool of you going to the cinema, in spite of you leaving, that should be seen as quite a success at overcoming H :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I remember when theaters started getting better sound systems and the first thing they did was crank 'em.
      Good for you, Neenie. Looks like you've had tinnitus for less than a year. If you keep away from these crazy theaters and concerts your future looks bright.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yea I have not been to a movie theater since my tinnitus started 9 months ago which sucks because I love movies! I just don't want to risk damaging my ears any further. You can try ear plugs next time, though I have never tried that.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I love movies, too, and I still go all the time. But I always wear custom fit ear plugs, 25 db protection. Movies today are incredibly loud. Having tinnitus doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up things you love. You may just need to make adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      I totally feel you. i almost did last month With The Hunger Games. If i wasn't such a fangirl over it. i would have left!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Where can you get earplugs? Are the normal cheapo pharmacy ones ok?

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes those foam plugs are fine to start with. Just buy a few of them and keep them in your pocket at all times in case you feel like something (like the movies!) is getting too loud. It gives you safety and comfort... On the long run I would go for a set of good musician ear plugs with various filters or even better custom made ear plugs ( which are a little bit pricey ) I think Markku posted a link to very good custom made ones a few times

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ah ok thanks man. Hey, you're in Germany? I'm German!

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Really? That's awesome! In which country do you live?

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I was born in Berlin. Lived there until I was 10, then moved to Australia. Love Germany so much, you are so lucky to live there!

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That's so cool, my bf is Australian :) I must say I think I would swap with you any day at least for a while, Australia is awesome.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Haha. I guess you always want what you don't have! My partner is also Australian and he has never seen snow! What?!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Neenie: Like Seal says, foam will work if you find yourself out and about, and in need of some ear protection. But I recommend that everyone with tinnitus invest in custom plugs that are molded to your ears. Our ear canals are unique, twisty channels; in fact, the right and left plugs are marked as such, as your own two ears are different.

I bought what are called musicians plugs because they have interchangeable filters that allow some sound in, which helps you carry on a conversation in, say, a restaurant. You can buy solid or denser filters for more protection. I bought the ones by Etymotic but there are other quality brands. www.etymotic.com. I think Markku did do a post on it, as Seal said.

You get custom plugs from an audiologist and they are worth the investment. I carry mine with me everywhere. I also have foam plugs stashed in my car, at my desk, around the house -- like in the bathroom. I now wear foam plugs when I dry my hair, after discovering my hair dryer puts out more than 100 db of noise that I am holding next to my head.

If you are in a REAL noisy situation, you also can put on ear muffs (like construction workers wear) over custom plugs. That's what I do at concerts. So far, the only noise situations I avoid completely are clubs. But then, I never went there much anyway any more... getting a little too old for clubbing.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Are Australians also fond of throwing firecrackers and generally being loud around New Years? It's awful here where I am.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      well, he should pay Germany a visit then, usually we have plenty of snow in the winter as you probably know ;)

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yer we've been to Germany a million times but only ever during the summer.
      Yes we throw firecrackers in Australia too! And have fireworks everywhere and cheer and scream. Ah well. I don't mind too much.
      Yer ok thanks guys, I'll probably just buy some foam ones but I might get some musicians ones at some point. Does the audiologist fit them?

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      went to the movies twice and wore earplugs T was fine after...... i carry ear plugs every where....

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      I have T + no hearing loss. But in order to protect my ears from any damage, I think I should protect my ears with ear buds, cotton or something else. Any suggestion ?

Additionally, I was wondering those who has T and hearing loss. Do they often go to a movie theater ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi all,

I am aware that this thread has been laying dormant for a while, but the content is pertinent to the issue I currently suffer with.

Last night, I went to the cinema to see Fast and Furious 7. I had a sound meter app on my phone (Decibel 10th for iPhone) and the sound peaked at 100db and flirted constantly from a range of 91-97, really. I had earmuffs on, , as in the construction kind to limit sound, but could still feel the vibrations and the sound still felt incredibly loud despite wearing this protection. Having left, one of my ears does feel slightly numb and the hissing seems louder than before. I am just wondering whether, in people's opinion, this is more of a temporary spike in the T or whether there is a chance that permanent damage could have occurred. Rationally, I am trying to calm myself down by repeating in my mind that the ear muffs should have provided at least 10db of protection, so the perception of it being loud may be ore down to my own sensitivity and anxiety around it, yet the physical symptoms are terrifying me that this could remain permanent.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks all,

Elfin

21. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      100db in the movies, holy crap man. I've actually been debating on going to the movies with some friends and putting in some ear plugs for the loud parts but now im kinda scared to go. How sad :(