Going to the Theatre / Movies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shelley, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      (Sorry I wasn't sure where to section this, so feel free to move it!)

My friend has invited me to go to the theatre tonight, I know the tickets are fairly near the back, so I'm slightly concerned that there will be speakers right behind me, and how loud it is going to be. I have been out clubbing since (being 22) so I have been in loud environments, with ear plugs of course! But I'm worried about being in a environment where I feel like I can't leave if it is too much.

What sort of decibil level do you think it would be at? and does anyone have any experience of going?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      You can get an app for your phone that will measure the sound level. Use this to reassure yourself that it isn't as loud as you think. Spend a few minutes on wikipedia learning about sound levels (if you don't already know about them). Also, you can pick up foam earplugs at the chemist/pharmacy and use them if you feel things are too loud.

Above all - GOOD FOR YOU in not letting the T stop you having a good night out.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      Thank you, it took me over 6 months to brave going out again, but I feel a lot better for it :)
      I will get the app and hopefully it will make me feel a bit better about it.

I'm thinking it can't be any louder than a cinema??

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Last time I went to cinema it was seriously loud, and I play in a rock band. If it's not a musical you're going to , then hopefully it will be the odd sound effect, intro music, etc. You just stick your fingers in your ears, no-one's looking at you :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Going to the theatre to see Phantom Of The Opera 9 weeks after I got T from noise exposure made my T permanently worse. I did not wear earplugs.
      At that time (9 weeks in) I didnt know that previously 'normal' levels of noise could affect T. I knew the theatre wasnt too loud, like noise-damage hearing loss loud, as I've been lots before T and never had any problem with it. T ears dont react to noise the same in my opinion. At least that applies to T ears which became T ears via noise exposure.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      went to see a movie for the first time since i got this T. I took my ear plugs and it helped alot i miss the movies went with my daughter and sister i refuse to let this noise rule my life ! after that we went and ate saimin oh i also had popcorn, I had T for 3 months now which started out of no where, went to bed and woke up with it? as far as my doctors say i healthy, all test were done and nothing to be found, last year july i went hiking and i fell 30 feet broke my wrist and dislocated 3 toes but nothing else was broken? i went the rest of the year with no health problums, and BAM woke up with T????? well i continue to tell myself it will go one day and i also continue to pray that God will heal this one day too..

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Its nice to read you have started to pick up your past hobbies and activities - and enjoyed them ! Earplugs are great I have some in my bag ready if I need them. Just before I got T I had my classic bob hair cut chopped short at one side gone all asymmetrical and that's my side with T so my earplug is on show on that side - maybe cutting my hair gave me T in my exposed ear lol - :LOL: I also have no idea or the docs why I have T - I hope you see more movies soon with your family and your earplugs each step is one nearer to getting your life back to how it used to be x

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi christine, my T started exactly like yours. Woke up one day and had it. I see you have probably done all test but just in case... have you test for vitamin B & D level and allergy test? I'm low on the vitamins and after a couple months of taking the vitamins and regular exercise my T has reduced a lot and i believe it will vanish one day.

On to the topic, not long ago i went to watch Pacific Rim and at first i was a bit worry if my T will be affected since it's the first time i go to cinema after T but seems it doesn't. I had a blast :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Ben Jubel
      Wishful

Ben Jubel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/05/2013
      is it good to go to a movie theater with tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Ben, use ear plugs and you should be fine. Getting back to do what you enjoyed before T is great. Also the movie will get your mind off of your T

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Last week I went to the cinema for the first time after T. I payed attention not to be seated too close to the loudspeakers, and I wore foam earplugs. Everything was quite ok, but next time I'll wear another type of earplugs (that foam blocked too much the external sound, so that T bothered me a little). Gary is right.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I'd reccomend the ER20 Plugs.

A side note on this, I've been to two gigs in the last three weeks. My first since my first T experience last year. I wore ER20 plugs to both and stood well away from the speakers. I got out of the venues both times, pulled the plugs out, thought to myself "no difference" and got in my car to drive home. No level change at all, if anything it's quieter because I went out and did something which too my mind off of it. T doesn't have to be the end , you can still go out. Just remember to carry plugs absolutely all the time. Stash the cheap foam ones everywhere, in your jackets, car etc etc in case you forget.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Thanks for the advice, Shuffle

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I do this. If the world ends tomorrow I'll have plenty of earplugs.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep, have them everywhere!

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. jmccombs82

jmccombs82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 29, 2013 at 10AM
      I want to see a movie tonight and wondered if it was okay? I have ear plugs. I have attended two concerts (with ear plugs) over the last month and have seen in increase in sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The key is to "keep living your life"; however, I have read a lot of negative posts about peoples stopping things they love doing. Doesn't that mean you are letting the ringing win?

Thoughts?

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I've attended several movies since having T. I just wear NNR 32 foam earplugs. The movie is still plenty loud.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. jmccombs82

jmccombs82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 29, 2013 at 10AM
      Thanks @Misery Yeah. Even with ear plugs the concerts were crazy loud! I saw Pearl Jam and was surprised how loud the music was with protection. I looked around at one point and wondered how many people were protecting their ears. I got a decibal meter on my phone and am surprised by how loud certain places (restaurants, cars, basic city life) actually are.

I do not want to stop my life completely. I have modified it dramatically, but in a way that is conducive to health and better self care.

FYI. Why is your name Misery? I hope the name doesn't resonate with the reason you are here :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Hi @jmccombs82,

Regarding my screen name, Misery was the name of a beloved pet cat that passed away. It works well as a screen name because it's typically available lol. I tried others before trying Misery.

They say normal conversational speech is about 60 decibels.

Keep doing what you enjoy, just take the necessary precautions.

My T came on a few days after sitting in the second row from the stage at a Jonny Lang concert with earplugs, but I'm thinking mine was caused by a sinus/ear infection.

Pearl Jam.... I saw them in concert in New York years ago. Great show!

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I watched several movies wearing ear plugs. No problem. Just be careful not to seat close loudspeakers, in case.
      Do it, don't let T win!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I wouldn't go, but then I'm extra cautious now, learnt the hard way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. jmccombs82

jmccombs82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 29, 2013 at 10AM
      @Sherri786 - I have ear plugs. I am avoiding action thrillers for sure. My ENT said I should not stop living...he said wearing ear plugs is best and if one feels uneasy...simply to leave the loud place for a few minutes. Is there some truth to noise damange resulting from noise exposure over a certain sustained period of time?

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      If it's louder than a vacuum sweeper its' too loud. And a vacuum is too loud for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      @jmccombs82 , I don't know about that combs....interesting question.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Argh, I'm so mad at myself. Went to the movies. Was meant to be a fun afternoon. Intentionally did not bring any hearing protection. No one else does, why should I? Besides, the movies aren't even that loud. And I totally just walked out after 30 minutes because it was so loud that I thought: "I'm not risking it for this movie" and left my partner there alone to work out his own way home. I suck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Before getting tinnitus, i have been maybe three times in 10 years in a cinema, average visit every three years.

Last time was in phuket few month ago (before tinnitus), i was in panic cause i didn't know the volume was going to be so loud and i didn't think to bring my earplugs with me, i ended up plugging my ears with my fingers during loud actions scene...

Movies were definately less loud 10 years ago, nowadays it's madness!

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yer that's what I was doing. Plugging my ears with my fingers. Then I thought, this is rediculous, I'm going home.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Not pathetic at all. At least you made the step to try. I'm yet to get there.
      Besides, you can always get it out on DVD soon enough x

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I always wear ear plugs in th movie theater now. The movies are so dang loud I can hear everything perfectly anyway.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      It was a really shit movie. The secret life of Walter Mitty. So rubbish. Actually I probably would have left even if it weren't loud, haha

• Hug Hug x 1