Green Tea Caused Massive Anxiety for Me!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Feb 6, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, like many of you know I was doing a lot better with my tinnitus, I would hear it but it never bothered me, I was habituated to my tinnitus.

Yesterday I woke up and immediately noticed my tinnitus, it was the same volume but it was annoying me greatly. I also felt flat, depressed, anxious, my mind was focusing on tinnitus again, I was wondering what the hell was going on!

I started drinking green tea a few days ago, after drinking the tea I felt strange, weird? I felt spaced out, lightheaded, mild headache, nausea, anxious and depressed, I had 5 cups a day for a few days,it was even giving me nightmares! I threw the green tea away, that night I thought I was going to have a heart attack! Tinnitus was driving me crazy, even though it was the same volume. Anyway now I'm drinking black tea and coffee with no issues, I'm back to normal!

Tinnitus doesn't bother me again, green tea had a horrible reaction on me, never drinking that stuff again! I'm sticking with black tea and coffee, I know many people are fine with green tea, maybe I'm just allergic to the tea!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I drink about 0,6 liters of green tea every day,.. No problems. But I must say that 5 cups is a little bit too much, you shouldn't be drinking that much coffee or caffeinated tea.. Maybe reduce it to 2-3 cups a day. Too much tea is also not good for the kidneys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Seal is right.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's not the caffeine, I can drink 8 cups of black tea a day and I'm fine, can drink 4 cups of coffee a day with no issues, drink plently of water. It's the green tea that made me lightheaded, even the first cup made me feel spaced out, weird stuff!
      I'm not to bothered about drinking alot of caffeine, few months ago I was drinking half a bottle of whiskey a day with beer, compared to that its quite healthy! My kidneys and liver are most likely jumping for joy!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I drink 2 cups of organic green tea a day. It makes me depressed I swear. I know there are a lot of good things written about it but I felt no difference in my mood or anxiety after months of using it. It probably is good for immune as I haven't been falling sick so much lately but yes it does make me anxious and depressed for some reason

6. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Regular sweetened black tea can make me feel jittery. I've yet to factor in any noticeably effect Tea might have on my T unless there is a lack of sleep involved. Unsweetened green tea doesn't make my T worse and I drink the costly loose leaf kind with Matcha and Sencha a least once a day. Like with any caffeinated beverage though, drinking too much will make T worse or at least the perception of it is more pronounced. Moderation is key, and with that said I have a few friends that claim Tea makes them nervous but coffee has no negative effects.

Caffeine May Reduce Tinnitus Risk
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/caffeine-may-reduce-tinnitus-risk/?_r=0

Compared with women who consumed less than 150 milligrams of caffeine a day (roughly the amount in an eight-ounce cup of coffee), those who had 450 to 599 milligrams a day were 15 percent less likely to have tinnitus, and those who consumed 600 milligrams or more were 21 percent less likely. The association persisted after controlling for other hearing problems, hypertension, diabetes, use of anti-inflammatory Nsaid drugs, a history of depression and other factors. Decaffeinated coffee consumption had no effect on tinnitus risk.

Tinnitus: Is There A Caffeine Connection?
      http://www.ata.org/blog/caffeine

So to conclude, if you have tinnitus, and are weighing whether or not to try to limit or cut caffeine completely out of your diet for "the ringing's" sake, consider the data obtained by the researchers at the University of Bristol. If you are a regular consumer of caffeine like me, you might find that the withdrawal symptoms are far worse than any benefit you might receive by cutting out caffeine completely! Since there doesn't seem to be any proven link to tinnitus worsening simply as a result of caffeine consumption.

Please note that your personal experience with tinnitus may be that caffeine can worsen it, which is why its important to be your own detective when taking control of your tinnitus!

7. Liam Edwards
      Badass

Liam Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2012
      Or you guys are missing something, maybe it wasn't the tea that was causing this, but rather a toxic tea bag? Maybe it was bleached or what have you. I know when i buy loose leaf tea from a tea store and use a French press or what have you i never run into problems like feeling sick. Sometimes i have tea bagged tea that does make me sick to my stomach though, i believe its the bag itself.

8. What a bunch of BS. Everyone says to steer clear of caffeine and now someone posts a study that says caffeine may actually help relieve tinnitus? Just more proof that this is a very personal condition. Do what works for you. Bottom line don't get too depressed if you hear it and don't get too excited if you don't. Habituate.

9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      With tinnitus you don't need to stay away from any foods or drinks just loud noise

10. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Does habituation come with time, regardless of how loud it is ?

11. I'm no expert but I would say, generally, yes. I have habituated vey well to my tonal tinnitus but I'm still working on being okay with a new sound: sort of a vibration/hum in my left ear that started on 7/1 during a cold. Still, I believe that should my humming friend decide to stay, I will eventually be able to habituate to it. But I'm not going to lie, its bothersome to me right now but I am getting better each day. I hate walking into a new room because the first thing I do is tense up because I am waiting to hear the bass of the hum. I need to get to the point where I just don't care whether I hear that or not. Another thing I don't do (not sure if it's good or bad) is talk about it with others. I try to ignore it or just let it sink into the background and if I start talking about it I feel like it will bring it into my conscious mind again. Good luck.

12. fletch64

fletch64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Green tea makes my tinnitus worse and it causes me to have strange dreams. The amount of caffeine in it doesn't seem noticeable to me. I'm convinced my allergies decreased when I started drinking it. I think the post about the tea bag being bleached or having chemicals might be right. I'm going to try the leaves.

13. Sally55Brown

Sally55Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly head cold and anxiety
      I had the same experience with green tea. At least that seems to be the only thing that is common to my two experiences. I drank two cups of green tea. That nigh I awoke in a full panic. I was having racing thoughts and racing heartbeat. My tinnitus really bothered me and I couldn't calm down for several hours. I guess the tea bag theory is possible? I drink coffee and have not had a reaction before, but I had the same experience! I may try it again...just to see if it is the case?