Greetings All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by EWS1981, May 30, 2017.

1. EWS1981

EWS1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      8 years working on/around helicopters in the Army
      My name is Edward and I have been dealing with Tinnitus for almost 6 years, but it has gotten much worse in the last 2 years. It used to be that I could tune it out, or just have long periods of time where I did not even notice it at all. But in the last few years it has gotten bad, and getting worse all the time. I first noticed it had gotten bad while I was at work. I was talking to a customer and all of a sudden it felt like someone shoved a cotton ball in my ear, the ringing became extremely loud and I got a migraine for probably the first time I can ever remember.

After that, the cotton ball feeling would return for a few minutes maybe once a month, but it began to grow in frequency. Now it occurs at least once a week and for longer periods of time. This paired with frequent times of agitation caused by excessive noise and activity around me, has brought it to the point that it is causing problems at home. I don't like being irritable with my wife and daughter, it puts me in a nasty mood.

I've talked to my doctor about it, but his suggestions sound half hearted to me, maybe because he does not have Tinnitus and cannot relate. My Tinnitus was caused by years in the Army working on helicopters, rifle ranges and admittedly I may have listened to my music a tad loud when I was a younger man. I try to take better care of my hearing now, but the damage is done. I find the only relief for me is to plug in my headphones and listen to music, it seems to drown out the ringing, but I cannot imagine that it helps matters at all.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to reading everyone's posts and learning more about Tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Is there any likely culprit for the spike in your T? Have you seen an ENT to rule out any problems in the ears? If you can mask and drown out the ringing, consider it a positive. That may be a new normal. Try accept the new normal so you won't be too stressed out by the new T level. Try to find out the cause of your recent spike in T.

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure, acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as flights, slapping of the ears, grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. If you can trace the cause, it will help to get targeted treatment for it and hopefully T will be lower after that. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Since I regained tinnitus and hyperacusis, I can't take a shower. So I take baths. For a little time afterwards, my ears will ring a little lower. I read that baths improve blood circulation, relieves your body of toxins, helps infections, helps muscles, and it's good for the heart - if the water isn't real hot.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EWS1981

EWS1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      8 years working on/around helicopters in the Army
      Sounds like it's at least worth trying.