Habituation and Tinnitus Treatments

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Dec 14, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

Instead of complaining and feeling sorry for yourself try and seek help by seeing the health professional that I have mentioned. Change your negativity by accentuating the positive things in your life, then you will begin to feel better about yourself.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have not habituated I have. It is your negative attitude that is your failing. My tinnitus has been intrusive today making reading difficult. It is something I like to do but I know the moment will pass and haven't reached for medication.

Habituating is coming to this forum and being able to accept it without constantly complaining. Read my posts and I have written many. I promise you that you won't find one where I bleat, moan, groan and blaming the world and the medical profession for not finding a cure for tinnitus. This is what habituation is and means. It's about accepting tinnitus even in the downtimes and not being a cry-baby.

Michael

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I don't have much fluctuations any more. It is severe for me 24-7, no time off and no silence. It's my reality and I accept what is going on. I do my best to live daily with my condition. I adjust what I have to, to take a step forward each day, that's how it is.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Good for you...

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My tinnitus sounds like a Shop Vac now.
      Would you be able to live with that?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you..

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If your tinnitus is as bad as you say then you wouldn't be posting on this forum. If you post here regularly, work or at school or university then your tinnitus is not debilitating. This is not to say that it isn't an annoyance. When tinnitus is debilitating, it can seriously affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. This can often prevent them from carrying out some of the most basic daily tasks. Therefore, they should seek treatment especially if this ongoing.

If a person's tinnitus is severe they need to be under the care of an ENT doctor and Audiologist for treatment.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well that's great news!
      This explains why Allan1967 isn't posting anymore, his tinnitus must be debilitating.
      Ok you're habituated, calm down Elvis.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I got to know the late Allan1967 quite well. I corresponded with him in the main forum, by PM messenger and had three telephone conversations with him. There are things that you are not aware of which I am, that contributed to making his tinnitus worse and I believe his distress unbearable, that was no fault of his own.

If your tinnitus is causing you distress then I advise you to seek help.
      I wish you well.

Michael

10. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I am like Christopher, unfortunately the WNG's have become unbearable and seem to have messed with my baseline. I was sleeping better prior to using them. As far as I am concerned it's not different than folks Lenire is failing to help. I too am glad it is helping some. You generously take time to help those in need. Others have mentioned TRT did not help them. It is complicated to figure out if it is our emotional state or the competence of the professional. Since this was the 3rd time I attempted WNG's I have a good idea. This is a tricky beast. It is interesting to see what one considers being habituated. Thomas pretty well describes it as my former community describes theirs.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The problem is You @bobvann and your insistence on visiting this forum and probably others and talking about your treatment and white noise generators constantly. By doing this you haven't given them a chance to work because subconsciously your brain is focusing on tinnitus, tinnitus, tinnitus. When it's not that it'll be hyperacusis and every little change in its perception. I know you will refute what I am saying but in order for this treatment to work or any tinnitus treatment, one has to keep away from tinnitus forums and don't discuss it in them. This will allow your mind to focus on other things instead of tinnitus.

All the best to you
      Michael

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok fair enough, but why all the secrecy surrounding Allan?

13. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I am not going to argue but I think even if I were not on a forum I would have made the same decision as I did when I tried it back in 2018 prior to vising any support site. There is the case of being a bone head. Meaning to keep doing something that creates an adverse reaction, no different then if I was using headphones or kept on drumming. I know you will refute this as well. Dr. Nagler who is an actual professional stated that WNG's were not for everyone. Dr. Hubbard mentions in his CBT video that using hearing aids can hamper habituation. I thank you for your feedback all the same. I do agree on the component of one keeping focus on it. G'day!:beeranimation:

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It wouldn't be right for me to divulge this information in the main forum. Furthermore, I don't think the Administrator would approve. I have tried to send you a PM but unable to.

Michael

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok thank you.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree WNG are not for everyone but in order for them to work I would give them a chance. Treating hyperacusis is not a quick fix. My hyperacusis was very severe as I have previously told you. It was completely cured in two years wearing WNG. I recommend staying away from tinnitus forums for at least 6 months and not discussing this treatment in them. Concentrate on other things helps to take the mind off tinnitus.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh I found and read Allan's thread, he states pretty clearly it was Lenire white noise hiss that exacerbated his tinnitus. He began to have several days in a row of quiet days prior to Lenire.
      It's all there in black and white.
      After about 10 months following his piano incident, he started healing and Lenire fucked it all up.
      What a shame, it's heartbreaking reading his posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      a
      I didn't know Allan had written this information in the forum. He asked for my advice whether to try the device and I told him not to, as I feared it might make the tinnitus worse. He was about to start treatment on the NHS but I do understand he was desperate. Unfortunately, shortly after starting Lenire the tinnitus increased.

Take care.

Michael